Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Tracing and locating missing baggage (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tracing and locating missing baggage (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:05 pm

I have no way to track my missing baggage.

After arriving at Cincinnati CVG Airport from an overnight layover at Toronto Pierson Intl through Air Canada, I waited for about 2 hours in baggage claim to find that my luggage had not made it through. I went to go make a claim at the airport’s Air Canada Baggage Claim desk, but I was not given any incident report number or any information for that matter. All of my information and the description of my luggage was taken down manually, with pen and paper. None of it was entered into their systems over the time I was still in the airport. I went to go double check, but they said they were unable to get me a number since it had not been processed. 3 days later, I have still not heard a word back from either Air Canada nor the Cincinnati CVG airport. I tried calling AC’s number, but I was left on hold in 3 hour increments for days on end. Whenever they picked up, they told me there was a form that was available on their website that did not require an Incident Report Number. I’m trying to fill out the Baggage Tracing Webform, but every form that I have come across needs that report number to submit it. Even if I try to call the Baggage Claim number, it refers me back to their website and the website takes me back to their number, so I’m sort of stuck in a loop. I’m leaving for a conference in a week and desperately need to see if my bags can come in time or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Originally Posted by YYC traveler
ON a golf trip to Ireland we had 3 golf travel bags go missing outbound on YYC->YYZ-DUB (all AC metal), two were located and 5 days in and and the location of the third bag remains unknown even after our return to YYC.
One week after our return from Dublin the missing bag from the original outbound flight has made it back to YYC and returned to the owner.

Still no sign at all of the missing bag from the return flight. Apparently never scanned after it was given to oversized luggage in Dublin.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by YYC traveler
One week after our return from Dublin the missing bag from the original outbound flight has made it back to YYC and returned to the owner.

Still no sign at all of the missing bag from the return flight. Apparently never scanned after it was given to oversized luggage in Dublin.
I'm in better situation. My missing tool case from the original outbound flight to DEN (Monday, July 4) made it home today (I returned Friday). I looked weird when I had to borrow tools some from other contractors on site, but at least I have my tools back. My suitcase made it both ways without problems.
My multimeter and loop calibrator travels in my carry-on from now on. I wish I could take some screwdrivers to my carry-on as well.
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Last night we had a courier knock on our door at 11:30pm with a bag from an AC flight
But it wasn't ours.
We last rraveled a month ago, and the last delayed-couriered bag was 5 months ago
The baggage tags showed a different name.
So we refused it
The courier was not surprised , He said it was not unusual. His van was full.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:46 pm

Curious if your friends were ever able to find their luggage. I have a similar situation with a flight from AMS and changing the ticket/changing airlines.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SKYEG
p

I found out more info and now thiscomplicates things. They were booked on LH, they checked in bags with LH (AMS-FRA-YVR) but it got cancelled. They were told that the bags will be transferred to their AC flight(is this even possible)??? but they clearly did not make it or something wrong happened there.
yes, on a re-route, transferred bags should be re-routed with the pax. IME, the new carrier (in this case, AC) is supposed to scan the bag tag receipts (which were given to the pax at original check in), and that would ‘transfer’ the bags to the carrier to take over. Usually, they affix updated labels on, but I’m not sure if always - as the scanners should show the updated itinerary anyway when they get scanned on/off. Theoretically, this process can probably be done entirely on the backend, but given the staffing of airlines in general now, I doubt anyone is able to prioritize this right now.

That said, even on a plain vanilla, nothing went wrong, nonstop AC itinerary, I wouldn’t trust checked bags to arrive. AC has always been terrible at bag handling, and now even more so. Lost count of how many stories I’ve heard from people I know of AC losing bags just in the last month or two, many didn’t get them for several days. We feel quite lucky that our first international trip on AC in years, we had only one of 4 checked bags not show up on arrival in SIN when we flew SFO-YVR-NRT-SIN - apparently it got left back in YVR, and somehow made it on the next flight to NRT 24 hours later. Even more amazingly, is that we were only in SIN for about 20 hours, and we were able to have it delivered to us in MAA (we continued with SQ on a separate itin) and got it sometime the day after we landed there.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:19 am

AC should know if they ever loaded those bags in the first place.

First call is to their insurane, if any. Then they know how much they can spend. Although it may be too late for that, it is worth a try.

Currently, there is so much mayhem in the system, it may take a while for their bags to show. They definitely have to update the airline before heading back home, lest the luggage gets delivered to you after they have left. Bags that are lost for good are very rare, absent a plane crash.

Under the Montreal Convetion, bags are deemed lost after 21 days. The carrier's liabilty is capped at 1,288 SDR. But they may get more under EU regulation.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:01 am

Did the bags turn up? I'm still awaiting a lost bag from the Air Canada YYZ-EDI flight on 28th June. There were quite a few passengers whose luggage didn't arrive on the conveyor. I have been to the temporary storage unit run by Swissport at Edinburgh Airport where there is easily over 100 Air Canada bags. Many of them marked Signature Class Priority (like mine!). The staff in the facility tell me the bag hasn't left YYZ.

The AC contact form was a bit of a nightmare to complete - insisting on attachments before it would accept submission. Got round it by sending a phone photo of the AC section in the baggage facility. Couldn't think what else to send.

I'd much rather have my belongings than any compensation or insurance money.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
YYZ luggage issues on July 12- bag missing

I just had a flight LGA-YYZ-TPE-CGK with AC on the first leg and EVA the following two flights.

I arrived in CGK (Jakarta midday on July 14) and my bag was not arriving on the belt, Luckily I put an Airtag into my bag and can see it's still in Toronto around 24 hours after I left YYZ - somewhere mid way in Terminal 1.

I got my PIR receipt (Property Irregularity Report), but after checkin at the worldtracer website it just says: "TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER". Did Air Canada leave my bag in a big pile and not scanning the bags?

I'm leaving Jakarta in 4 days for Bangkok, so how should I proceed with getting my bag?

Help and info is much appreciated,

thx

Last edited by EBGflyer; Jul 14, 2022 at 9:54 pm
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Hey guys,

Bags are lost and were never found. Really sad for them...
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I just flew thru LIS two days ago and while waiting for my bags for the overnight connection I noticed an 'abandoned' dozen or so bags with the AC priority and regular tags dated 28JUN AC 812 and then upon exiting customs another two dozen AC bags priority and regular tags dated 06JUL AC 810. The LIS handler Portway is doing nothing about them and I had to help one of the staff members bring the bags to their offices where there were dozens more AC bags with various bag tag dates. It was surreal.

The following morning I stopped by the AC check-in desk for the LIS-YUL flight at 6 am and the station manager or supervisor was completely indifferent to the mess and said 'covid'. I was stunned.

I will post photos and the good news that results from my TP checked bags being slow on the belt later today.
vernonc likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
OP here to provide a final update. I flew home from Dublin on July 3rd. My golf travel bag flew home on July 13th and was delivered to my house late this afternoon.

Attached was a simple card "We sincerely regret the late arrival of your baggage. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience." Underwhelming to say the least.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
Originally Posted by EBGflyer
I just had a flight LGA-YYZ-TPE-CGK with AC on the first leg and EVA the following two flights.

I arrived in CGK (Jakarta midday on July 14) and my bag was not arriving on the belt, Luckily I put an Airtag into my bag and can see it's still in Toronto around 24 hours after I left YYZ - somewhere mid way in Terminal 1.

I got my PIR receipt (Property Irregularity Report), but after checkin at the worldtracer website it just says: "TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER". Did Air Canada leave my bag in a big pile and not scanning the bags?

I'm leaving Jakarta in 4 days for Bangkok, so how should I proceed with getting my bag?

Help and info is much appreciated,

thx
Still haven't heard a thing about my bag. My Airtag says it's still in Toronto, but what help is that if Air Canada are not scanning the bagtags and don't register the bags in the system?

Anybody know what to do as I have to continue my travels and leave for Kuala Lumpur in a few days. I can't stay in Jakarta and wait for my bag. Will they redirect my bags?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
I just flew thru LIS two days ago and while waiting for my bags for the overnight connection I noticed an 'abandoned' dozen or so bags with the AC priority and regular tags dated 28JUN AC 812 and then upon exiting customs another two dozen AC bags priority and regular tags dated 06JUL AC 810. The LIS handler Portway is doing nothing about them and I had to help one of the staff members bring the bags to their offices where there were dozens more AC bags with various bag tag dates. It was surreal.

The following morning I stopped by the AC check-in desk for the LIS-YUL flight at 6 am and the station manager or supervisor was completely indifferent to the mess and said 'covid'. I was stunned.

I will post photos and the good news that results from my TP checked bags being slow on the belt later today.

Me, too, flown to LIS, then to ATH on June 17th, and finally back to Toronto on July 7th, my priority bag, check as business class baggage, stayed in Lisbon for whole duration of my trip, not until July 12th, they delivered my baggage back to my Toronto address, totally defeat the purpose to bring that baggage with me on June 17th AC810
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
The baggage handling partner can definitely forward one’s bags to a location that’s different than the arrival airport.

Just provide them with a list of dates and locations on your travel itinerary; they did just that for me and the bags reached me at my second hotel.
folkart, Adam Smith and kalderlake like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.