Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Trip in Vain (refund due to IRROPS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
Does AC have a "Trip in Vain" rule like UA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-irrops.html)? Basically where are you have departed on a short-duration trip but never makes it to the destination due IRROPS.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Not sure about a rule but I had a trip in vain last summer where we could not land at destination due to fires. Flew back to connecting point and the next day to origin and Aeroplan refunded the miles I had used. Credit card insurance covered the hotel....This was domestic Canada and a reward flight.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe this is covered by a rule in the tariff.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
I believe this is covered by a rule in the tariff.
Thanks! I am looking thru the international tariff (https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._Tariff_en.pdf) and I am not having any luck finding anything.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Thanks! I am looking thru the international tariff (https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._Tariff_en.pdf) and I am not having any luck finding anything.
How about section 80-A-5-b ? Would that be applicable?
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
How about section 80-A-5-b ? Would that be applicable?
The problem with all these tariffs and rules is that it is defined for events outside of Air Canada’s control. However, AC has basically classified every delay as beyond their control, when fundamentally most of the current delays are entirely their making.

Even if not explicit in the official rules I cannot imagine they works dispute you cancelling an unviable trip as long as it was purchased as a round trip and not two one way.
YYCCL3 and IAD_flyer like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:09 am

I once had a trip YYZ-LGA. Went to the lounge for a bit, boarded the plane, we got onto the runway, about to turn onto the active runway, and LGA was shut down. Returned to the gate, deplaned, and by that point my lunch opportunty in New York was gone, so I called the Concierge and cxld. Went through and explained to confused Canada customs. The flight was refunded obvioously.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:30 am

A favorite comedian of mine has a funny story about this situation. NSFW language
IAD_flyer and Seat19k like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! BTW got AC to refund my trip in vain, with the help of a lovey 5T manager at YUL. It was an Aeroplan ticket with AC & 5T on the outbound. They said it was done as a courtesy, and I was not entitled to it. But I am not going to fight them on if it was a courtesy.
YYCCL3, Diabeetus and Seat19k like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: AC 75K
My experience on a YOW-YYZ-LGA July 18, LGA-YYZ-YOW July 20 itinerary.
Tail end of a thunderstorm that swept through central Canada and Northeast US was quasi-stationary over NYC metro area on July 18th resulting in many flight cancellations to NYC, PHL, DC corridor.
I was already in YYZ transborder area waiting on 2:30pm flight AC8988. It was delayed multiple times, then cancelled, as was AC8990 and AC718. I think I was able to get on a very delayed AC8992.In the meantime I had the option to cancel the trip for a full refund. I was already in transit, so a full refund made no sense because a walk up return flight Pearson to Ottawa was going to be cost prohibitive , if available.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Did you talk to anyone or did you just assume you'd have to buy your own ticket home?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: AC 75K
I did not talk to anybody except the AC phone reservations agent who rebooked me successfully on the later flight. I didn't want to waste any more of their time asking about the refund option. The TB satellite customer service desk had a queue of 40 people, so also didn't bother since my goal was to get to LGA for a dinner meeting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.