Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: If I test COVID positive on pre-departure...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: If I test COVID positive on pre-departure...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

If I test COVID positive on pre-departure...

Going to Korea from Canada in Sept on an award booking - anyone knows what is the best plan of action if I test positive on my pre-departure COVID test?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kimchi123
Going to Korea from Canada in Sept on an award booking - anyone knows what is the best plan of action if I test positive on my pre-departure COVID test?
invoke travel insurance?

or, rebook and pay the then-current points or $ cost

​​​​​​//unpopular option: isolate and avoid all risk for 10 days prior to departure to rule out a positive test
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Depends when you booked your ticket. Your change fee may be waived or you may have to pay for a change fee.

This also depends if COVID tests are still required in September.
See https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ovid-19.html#/

Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

For sure it will depend on whether Korea still requires it or not.

Any pointers on where to look for this type of travel insurance that will cover this?
The standard Allianz $2/day I inquired about is only for emergency health situations when I am out of country.

I'm not paying the new cost lol... the ticket I got for 75,000 points is showing $7,000+ on Google Flights.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:43 pm

Nobody is going to (intentionally) underwrite "buy a revenue ticket for later dates on a positive Covid test" insurance for you. Change to later dates that work at current award prices.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I'm not paying the new cost lol... the ticket I got for 75,000 points is showing $7,000+ on Google Flights.
Well, I mean if you test positive, you won't be using the flight you're currently holding. At that point your options will be "rebook on a different flight" or "cancel the trip".

Sadly, this may mean losing out on an attractively-priced business-class flight, even with a 14-day delay, so as Expert7700K said, this would be a good reason to be particularly careful in your pre-departure window.
CanadaDH likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: AC SE
I concur with the "isolate prior to travel" plan. I know that's not always feasible, but that's been our strategy prior to recent travel—do our best to avoid situations in which we could be exposed. At the very least, reduce risk as much as possible. That's especially the case when the trip is not easily moved or replaced. (Like our upcoming trip where we got a large quantity of very well-priced seats to a dream destination.)

But if you do test positive, you don't have great options beyond modifying your booking and paying the difference.

I don't think you'll easily find insurance that will cover this. The great majority of trip insurance excludes COVID.
CanadaDH and arf04 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: AP AS BA

Any pointers on where to look for this type of travel insurance that will cover this?
The standard Allianz $2/day I inquired about is only for emergency health situations when I am out of country.s.
In Canada, Goose insurance offers "pandemic insurance" and covers cancellation/ change fees due to COVID. But it must be purchased at the time you buy your tickets
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
TD Insurance also offers trip cancellation insurance which does not exclude Covid. It isn't cheap (roughly 5% of the value you want to insure), and I have no idea how they would handle points, but that may be an option.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by expert7700
​​​​​​//unpopular option: isolate and avoid all risk for 10 days prior to departure to rule out a positive test
This - or at least minimize contacts if the trip is important to you.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Find a knowledgable insurance broker who can help you figure out all the nuances and compare plans. This gives you the info to make educated decisions.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I've also used Manulife's "quarantine" insurance before, though that's more focused on covering the costs of 14 unexpected hotel nights etc.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
If you are completely asymptomatic, I would consider a retest. Although rare, false positives happen - especially if your test was the typical antigen test and not PCR.

I know this because it happened to me. At some locations I work, we're tested every other day, and a BinaxNow test showed positive. We repeated the test twice more on the spot, both negative, as well as the PCR test that followed.

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I concur with the "isolate prior to travel" plan. I know that's not always feasible, but that's been our strategy prior to recent travel—do our best to avoid situations in which we could be exposed. At the very least, reduce risk as much as possible. That's especially the case when the trip is not easily moved or replaced. (Like our upcoming trip where we got a large quantity of very well-priced seats to a dream destination.)

But if you do test positive, you don't have great options beyond modifying your booking and paying the difference.

I don't think you'll easily find insurance that will cover this. The great majority of trip insurance excludes COVID.
As a data point, I have an annual plan through AIG that covers covid. Although in this case I'm not sure what the plan would cover, $$-wise.

All the best, James
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:02 pm

award ticket refund - COVID

I booked a one way Aeroplan award ticket, operated by a *A partner, as part of a larger trip. I can't take this trip since I tested positive for COVID recently. I have a test report.

Is there a way I can get the Aeroplan award refund fee waived? From Aeroplan's perspective, the test date and the one way flight date are about 10 days apart. (The outbound flight was booked separately - not through AC/Aeroplan - and departs within a few days of the test date.)

Thank you for any advice.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:51 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Nope, but and the end of the day, you might find a willing agent. AP isn't under any obligation to waive the fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.