Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Letter from AC’s president Michael Rousseau re summer 2022 travel disruptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Letter from AC’s president Michael Rousseau re summer 2022 travel disruptions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Hot towels and warm nuts are still missing. Once those are back I think we can say things are back to normal.
dr_torch, yyckerr, gcashin and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I do for my last bound. It was caused by ATC issues at YVR.
With problems like that, I don't know how AC can do much more.
I don't get the impression that this is an Air Canada problem, but more that it's a Canada problem. As Canada's largest airline, they would be disproportionally affected by any issues that are pervasive throughout Canada.
Assuming we're talking about the YVR ground delay from July 7th, it was specifically due to ATC staffing at YVR. Perhaps something legitimately outside of AC's control.

COMMENTS: TIER 2 GDP 2230Z-0500Z DUE STAFFING
It's been happening at multiple NavCan towers / centers from what I've heard, understaffing, a lot of overtime, and when someone calls in sick, they often need to implement restrictions to keep the workloads manageable for those who did show up.

And to OP, I don't know where you can find fully trained and capable ATC staff on a whim's notice. I guess in theory reducing scheduled flights would help prevent Nav Can restrictions, but that can lead to even more questions / problems.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't have inside knowledge on my delay today.

I do for my last bound. It was caused by ATC issues at YVR.

With problems like that, I don't know how AC can do much more.

I don't get the impression that this is an Air Canada problem, but more that it's a Canada problem. As Canada's largest airline, they would be disproportionally affected by any issues that are pervasive throughout Canada.

Sure, they can cancel more flights, which will lesson the load on both them and the rest of the Canadian aviation industry.

But as someone who actually understands a lot of the industry, and has a lot of inside contacts, I don't think this is a problem that AC has the ability to solve on their own, even given unlimited resources.
I agree that this is a "Canada problem" but I don't know that it's because Canada's reacted uniquely poorly to this summer's challenges. I would be willing to bet that Canada has a disproportionate number of flights originating out of the three largest airports and large airports have been awful globally.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
What is normal anymore? Even pre-covid in 2018, my YYJ - YVR flights were often delayed due to ATC staffing at YVR.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Delays and airport chaos will be here for a while, but it is easily within airline control to bring back hot towels, pre-departure drinks and warm nuts. I had a brief chat about this with a CSD in May, who said all the above were to reduce the risk involved with handling items, but its clear now that its a cost-cutting exercise given that restaurants on terra firma are fully open without restrictions.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chris-price
Delays and airport chaos will be here for a while, but it is easily within airline control to bring back hot towels, pre-departure drinks and warm nuts. I had a brief chat about this with a CSD in May, who said all the above were to reduce the risk involved with handling items, but its clear now that its a cost-cutting exercise given that restaurants on terra firma are fully open without restrictions.
I am not sure it is just cost cutting. There is a sense of non-normality to the entire flying experience still in Canada and on Canadian carriers. Having warm towels and open bowels of warm nuts doesn't align with still having to wear a mask. Once Transport Canada decides to no longer have the mask rule in airports and on airplanes (and we can argue the point of the ongoing rule when the only other place masks are worn is hospitals) then I suspect Canadian carriers will move to resume all pre-Covid services.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Having warm towels and open bowels of warm nuts ...
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Oops - good catch. Open bowls and open bowels both don’t align with the mask rule.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
My two cents: The airline needs to focus on getting the eastern and western triangles to be reliable and operational again (primarily YYZ-YUL and YYC-YVR) Flight crews from mainline and Jazz rely on these and a problem with the crews coming in can easily cascade through the system.
cooleddie likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith
....., airport authority, NAVCAN, CATSA, CBSA, fuel contractor, catering contractor, and a bunch of other (minor?) players. .....
With airlines cancelling flights, the above entities are being made to look better than they should.

Originally Posted by zappy312
And to OP, I don't know where you can find fully trained and capable ATC staff on a whim's notice.
Roughly two years to qualify someone.
Factor in training being paused for 18 months over covid........
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
What is normal anymore? Even pre-covid in 2018, my YYJ - YVR flights were often delayed due to ATC staffing at YVR.
My view of normal is a delay rate or service quality that is similar to rest of North America.

YYZ-YYC had some brutal delays today...
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:46 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Hot towels and warm nuts are still missing. Once those are back I think we can say things are back to normal.
I agree, but recall reading somewhere in this very forum that some of these (and other) amenities were simply not on board due to the space occupied by CleanCare (tm) supplies.

Dunno if that is still the case or not, but I don't recall seeing any crew in full PPE gowns recently, so maybe some space has been freed up.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
We need a wiki of what "normal" is in this post-covid flying world
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by TorTraveler
I agree that this is a "Canada problem" but I don't know that it's because Canada's reacted uniquely poorly to this summer's challenges. I would be willing to bet that Canada has a disproportionate number of flights originating out of the three largest airports and large airports have been awful globally.
It’s not even a uniquely travel issue. There are a lot of industries struggling under:

* A tight labour environment
* A 1-2 year pause in training new employees
* A 1-2 year pause in hiring new employees
* Losing a lot of experienced / near-retirement folks over the past 2.5 years
* A very hard to predict demand environment.

And so on.

Its an incredibly challenging environment. That’s not to say everything is excusable or that organizations don’t need to react better and adapt faster. But it’s just a really widespread problem right now.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by cooleddie
service quality that is similar to rest of North America.
​​​​​​It depends on how you define service quality. I took a 3 hr flight on UA Express (E175) last week and there were a lot of things missing compared to AC. No hot food, no porcelain dining ware, no metal cutlery, everything wrapped in plastic. And definitely no hot towels, warmed nuts, or PDBs (not even water).

​​​​​I connected to an AC flight, which was only like 30 minutes delayed. Plus had porcelain and hot food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.