Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: AC Cancelled Ticket at Airport While Trying to Re-Book, Wouldn't Reinstate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: AC Cancelled Ticket at Airport While Trying to Re-Book, Wouldn't Reinstate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Thats obviously the lesson here, as from PIT (unlike some small cities in Canada without choice) - there are many options, as evidenced by the rebooking on AA for the OP.

Also, are outstation contract agents even enpowered to do any ticketing/rebooking? I was under the impression that everything had to go thru the phone agents in these cases (ones that take hours to reach, if ever)
Pretty sure that's why she didn't get anywhere with the ticketing agent and gave up because they just kept calling customer service and it was the same as her calling them directly.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: ba silver
Looks like what Air Canada did was lawful and actually trying to help but just poorly handled.

If the agent was under the impression ( or a computer decided) that the passenger was not going to naked the connecting flight in YYZ they are withing their rights to cancel the booking ( not the ticket) and reroute. As they will say that this was beyond their control they are only required by law to rebook on their next available flight. They were required by Canadian law to rebook on a carrier which they have a commercial agreement i.e American with after 48 hours. They just should have dealt with this better and explained why.

Again the ticket wasn't canceled it is being used to buy a new ticket on AA. Canceled meant they would have issued a refund and tell you to buy a new ticket.

In situations like this they are also reluctant to pay for a hotel, especially if the passenger lives in the departure city. I hope she gets better treatment on AA, who's s hard product I find inferior but they are less hostile to their customers.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Looks like what Air Canada did was lawful and actually trying to help but just poorly handled.

If the agent was under the impression ( or a computer decided) that the passenger was not going to naked the connecting flight in YYZ they are withing their rights to cancel the booking ( not the ticket) and reroute. As they will say that this was beyond their control they are only required by law to rebook on their next available flight. They were required by Canadian law to rebook on a carrier which they have a commercial agreement i.e American with after 48 hours. They just should have dealt with this better and explained why.

Again the ticket wasn't canceled it is being used to buy a new ticket on AA. Canceled meant they would have issued a refund and tell you to buy a new ticket.

In situations like this they are also reluctant to pay for a hotel, especially if the passenger lives in the departure city. I hope she gets better treatment on AA, who's s hard product I find inferior but they are less hostile to their customers.
You’re clearly a better, more insightful or just trusting person than I. Nothing you said makes sense to me.
There’s an affirmative obligation beyond telling the customer to “go home”.

I think most of us would be interested in the basis for your legal conclusion.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:51 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Does PIT have actual AC staff or is it contract ground crew?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
OK, there is a good lesson to be learned here.....

If you are at an outpost airport - don't try and "Help" unless you know exactly what you are doing or have really good status, so you get an agent who isn't reading only off of 3x5 cards they got in training last week.
The person she was talking too probably doesn't even work for AC, they are just a contracter (This is an assumption - I honestly don't know)

It could have been a mistake or maybe a misunderstanding of her desires.

99.99% of the time, you won't get the help you need until you get to YYZ, so the best bet is to wait until you get there then worry about plan B
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, it's sad that the best advice is to avoid customer service. Shouldn't the first rule be "do no harm" and the second that the customer must always be informed of any cancellations being made by an agent and given a chance to veto these chances before any irreversible harm is done?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:36 pm

I would bet it was an auto cancellation based on what looked like it would be a missed connection where the auto rebooking hadn’t taken place yet. Probably why she got an email with the rebooked flight on american.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tennessetom
I would bet it was an auto cancellation based on what looked like it would be a missed connection where the auto rebooking hadn’t taken place yet. Probably why she got an email with the rebooked flight on american.
That would have cancelled the second leg. Not the first. Which is why I asked earlier in the thread.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tennessetom
I was wondering that too, but it makes no sense, based on AC's general policies and past behavior.

Originally Posted by Stranger
That would have cancelled the second leg. Not the first. Which is why I asked earlier in the thread.
Exactly.

If the first flight were cancelled, I could see them doing something like this. But AC wants you flying AC, and it's MUCH easier for them to have accomplished if you're at YYZ than at PIT.

There are many options from YYZ to CDG primarily on AC, via basically any European city. But once you're stranded in PIT, the best option in this case looks like it was AA.

Let's remember the rebooking order is something like:

1. AC
2. JV
3. *A
4. Interline partners

So something weird happened here, and it resulted in AC doing something they don't typically do.
Speedbird84 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by mboca28
then fly west jet ...... instead
After talking with a WS agent I know, I wouldn't go near them either.

The lesson is, travel with patience, a back up plan and trip interruption insurance.
If you can afford the "premium" take a nonstop flight.
If you're a FOTSG, you don't stand a chance.
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by tracon
Great plan -- transform a fluke event into lifetime of drama, overpaying, and inconvenience.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
The lesson is, travel with patience, a back up plan and trip interruption insurance.
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Great plan -- transform a fluke event into lifetime of drama, overpaying, and inconvenience.
I'm not sure why you would consider nonstop flights as representing drama and inconvenience ... but ok, to each their own.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Do provide us with the list of non-stop flights to Europe from PIT.

The "premium" in this case would be significant as it would involve flying a private jet.
arf04 and MaxVO like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Do provide us with the list of non-stop flights to Europe from PIT.

The "premium" in this case would be significant as it would involve flying a private jet.
The current list is limited to BA 170 to LHR, but as it happens that flight operates on Sunday nights, which is when it sounds like this occurred. Delta had CDG service not that long ago, but not anymore (I think it ended in 2018).

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...200Z/KPIT/EGLL
The Lev likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Not much help to this but similar situation for me if nothing else to prepare everyone else. Flying YVR-YYZ-LGA. YVR delayed. On the ground in YYZ delayed another hour due to no gates. Nobody tells us US immigration has just closed and not to bother crossing into the US terminal. We should exit domestic Canada and save the immigration line.
So we all have to redo immigration into Canada having never physically left. 90+ minutes wait to rebook by phone since you can't rebook in person outside the gate area. Connection canceled by then so you can't rebook online. So I'm stuck in YYZ overnight with no way to reasonably rebook on AC. I fly another airline early the next morning and go straight to AC baggage to report separated bag. Got my bag 4 days later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.