Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight [AC xxxx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2022

Flight [AC xxxx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2022

Old Jun 21, 22, 12:19 am

Programs: AC
Yeah, haven't flown any route that wasn't messed up in the past couple months.
DW and daughter had their flight delayed out of YYJ on the Saturday night until it got cancelled.
Were offered a flight 24hrs later, and did get an $11 refund each which I am pretty sure is just the seat booking.
Managed to taxi to the ferry and be picked up to stay overnight in Van with my SIL and then I was able to get them home in the morning flight, but most aren't that lucky.
Took an hour on hold on the 75k line (not sure that the 75E is even special now) playing travel agent while all this was happening to pull that off.
These days, IRROPs are basically ROPs.
Old Jun 21, 22, 6:30 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
For all the complaints about YYZ at the moment, I'm certainly thankful to be based here vs. trying to connect here. With GE and never checking a bag, I can still be from my house to the lounge in 45 minutes. It definitely sucks that most of the AC operational issues at YYZ are impacting those that travel less frequently with no status, bags to check, etc. as its stressful enough for that group to start with.

I did recently have a 14 hours day to get to NYC, but otherwise it's been largely pain free for my EU flights (3 this month, average was about 45 min delayed, Signature Suite might be the best place on the planet at times .

Good luck out there!
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, MB Plat, Avis P/P
Originally Posted by YXU View Post
Oh boy this ordeal reminds me of that one time AC cancelled my AC8264 the night before for weather, and also cancelled all flights between YXU and YYZ for 2 days (some big storm was happening, so surprisingly not AC's fault). So I couldn't get to my destination until 3 days later (for a <1 week long trip). Thankfully I was paying attention to my emails and was on the phone with AC within minutes and managed to snag the last seat on the last plane between YXU and YYZ (6am the next morning). Ever since then I've had the VIA rail pass as a backup for getting between YXU and YYZ on a whim.
I'm thinking about our upcoming flight again. As I mentioned above, AC already cancelled 8260 that day and moved us to 82525. I just wonder what happens if AC should cancel 8252 as well. Will they cab us to YYZ? If no, at leas I hope they would modify our booking so I can get a quick one-way rental and drive there myself.
Old Jun 24, 22, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Why two YYZ-RDU flights canceled today?

As usual, AC customer svc worthless--they're call volume exceeds capacity, so you cant even wait on hold. Wondering why these 2 flights were canceled-we'll be on one tomorrow so we're worrying. Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 22, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by tennisboy View Post
As usual, AC customer svc worthless--they're call volume exceeds capacity, so you cant even wait on hold. Wondering why these 2 flights were canceled-we'll be on one tomorrow so we're worrying. Thanks.
The reason given on the app for 8836 and 8838 is due to the impact of COVID-19, which seems to be the catch all reason lately. Likely a result of scheduling/crew availability/Pearson issues at Jazz
Old Jun 27, 22, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strange flight number change

I don't get this. Yesterday, 323 (YUL-YYC) first got delayed. Then panels were showing two flights, same time, original 323 and 2123. Not only same equipment but actually same plane. Originally 323 was supposed to be on a Max coming from SFO, which was early. Then 323 got delayed, and the plane was switched to a Max coming from Fort de France, which was delayed.

Then 323 was cancelled. 2123 showed as being the same Max from Fort de France. I cannot think of a good reason for them to do the change. Normally they introduce a 2xxx flight number when one flight gets delayed to the next day so as to avoid having two flight with same number on the same day, but as far as I know that was not the case.

Of course, big mess at the gate, switching boarding passes, seat changes, etc. This at a time when the line at Customer Services was at least 100 m long. Also line up waiting to be admitted into the decrepit MLL, which was at capacity. OTOH Nexus was very good to have.

Anyway, big mess not only at YYZ, but YUL which was supposed to be somewhat better not too great either. And let's not talk about FCO, which really ought to dedicate one of the two priority check in positions to SEs and J pax, pulling people in from regular priority when there is no J/SE types waiting. Instead of having the SEs waiting for an hour in the regular "priority" line. According to the concierge there were a number of SEs stuck in that line.
Old Jun 27, 22, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC SE*100K
I had one flight this year with AC switching to a 2XXX flight number this year when there was a fin change to totally different equipment so they cancelled the original XXX flight and and created a 2XXX with completely new seat assignments - despite the fact that 2XXX was still leaving at the same time and flying the same route as the original XXX. Equipment change doesn't seem to be the case here though.
Old Jun 27, 22, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I cannot think of a good reason for them to do the change. Normally they introduce a 2xxx flight number when one flight gets delayed to the next day so as to avoid having two flight with same number on the same day, but as far as I know that was not the case.
I've seen it many times when it departed same day, same time as scheduled. But there was always something substantial about the change, like a change in gauge. If they downgauge a 77W to a 320, they're massively overbooked. If they cancel 123 on a 77W and created 2123 on a 320, they can then just rebook all the pax onto other flights as well.
Old Jun 27, 22, 7:07 pm

Last week had 515 change to 2115 the next day, operated by the same FIN with seat assignments carried over too. (Ticket in I had to be reissued twice to survive the change.)
Old Jun 27, 22, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjclancy View Post
Last week had 515 change to 2115 the next day, operated by the same FIN with seat assignments carried over too. (Ticket in I had to be reissued twice to survive the change.)
That's because it was rescheduled to the next day. To avoid two flights with same number same day. In my case, it was rebooked on the same day, same plane, same ime as had been announced as the original flight had been delayed to.

Still makes no sense to me.
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
CLE-YYZ 7 am nonstop cancelled 5 days in a row this week

I'm booked on the AC Jazz operated 7:00 am CLE-YYZ this Thursday June 30, using UA miles, booked via united.com. Looking at flight status for the past 4 days, it's been cancelled each day and proactively cancelled for tomorrow (Wednesday). The 10:25 am nonstop has been cancelled a couple times as well. Any ideas what's going on? Should I assume if my flight cancels they will rebook on United metal through EWR?

The United Club is close to the gate AC departs from - do I need an AC agent to rebook or can a United agent in the club take care of it?
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K
AC's operations (like many airlines) are a disaster, and I think based on other route reductions it's impacted Jazz quite a bit.

AC will always prioritize rebooking on their own metal, but depending on options, they might rebook you on UA.
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:45 pm

AC options from CLE ?? They operate 3 services daily, all to YYZ.
- The OP notes that the first service is frequently cancelled, and the second service may be unreliable.
- Unless the OP a fancies waiting for the 16:15 service, I’d reroute.
- Reroute on UA metal won’t be an issue.
Old Jun 28, 22, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 View Post
AC's operations (like many airlines) are a disaster, and I think based on other route reductions it's impacted Jazz quite a bit.

AC will always prioritize rebooking on their own metal, but depending on options, they might rebook you on UA.
Actually, after AC cancelled a BOS-YYZ flight, relative of mine going from BOS to Regina got rebooked on DL to SEA, then on to YVR and the next day to Regina.
Old Jun 28, 22, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott PP, SPG Pl, Hilton Pl, Hertz PC, Avis First, National EE
My flight for tomorrow was suppose to be ATL-YYZ-BCN. A couple of days AC changed my flight to Air France on ATL-CDG-BCN all on Business. Now Airfrance canceled the ATL-CDG segment and I can not get ahold of anyone at Air Canada. I have tried calls of course you can not even get into the queue. I sent them a tweet as well. My travel agency is not any help. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread