Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2023, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AC 50K; Marriott Titanium
AC1041 YYZ-DEN stuck on rolling delays that started 2 flights earlier due to flight deck crew availability.

once we got onboard, there was delay loading the catering and at then right around 3 hours after scheduled departure, 2 passengers decided to offload.

if we make it in Denver past the 3 hour mark, I will claim APPR and if it gets rejected, I will happily follow through with small claims.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 9:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by kiloohm
AC1041 YYZ-DEN stuck on rolling delays that started 2 flights earlier due to flight deck crew availability.

once we got onboard, there was delay loading the catering and at then right around 3 hours after scheduled departure, 2 passengers decided to offload.

if we make it in Denver past the 3 hour mark, I will claim APPR and if it gets rejected, I will happily follow through with small claims.
Wow - 03:30 late! EF seems to align quite well to what you were being told:

YYZ ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2230
DELAY 05
DELAY 00
LEFT THE GATE 2230
TOOK OFF 2247
PLANE IS LATE (IN HOURS MINUTES) 0050
PLANE IS LATE (IN HOURS MINUTES) 0130
OPERATIONS CONTROL
PLANE IS LATE (IN HOURS MINUTES) 0040
CATERING
PLANE IS LATE (IN HOURS MINUTES) 0030
IMMIGRATION, CUSTOMS, HEALTH
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:32 am

A possible scenario and the interpretation of the APPR.

On June 27th flying Thai Airways from Bangkok to Narita. Arrival 3:45 PM. This is part of an Air Canada ticket BKK/NRT/YUL/MCO in Business. Connecting at NRT with Air Canada departing for Montreal at 5:30 PM. If AC is either delayed more than 3 hours or cancelled I will know about it a few hours before on the AC App. United/ANA, Star Alliance partners, have 4 flights from Narita to Chicago, Denver, Newark, and LAX, with onward flights to MCO, that all depart at 5 PM. Should I immediately try to have AC change my flight to one of those flights? I assume they will have enough time to transfer my luggage as they were already going to transfer it to my AC flight departing at 5:30 PM. Is AC very accommodating toward changes like this or do they try their best to discourage you in spite of what the APPR terms and conditions are?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by floridastorm
A possible scenario and the interpretation of the APPR.

On June 27th flying Thai Airways from Bangkok to Narita. Arrival 3:45 PM. This is part of an Air Canada ticket BKK/NRT/YUL/MCO in Business. Connecting at NRT with Air Canada departing for Montreal at 5:30 PM. If AC is either delayed more than 3 hours or cancelled I will know about it a few hours before on the AC App. United/ANA, Star Alliance partners, have 4 flights from Narita to Chicago, Denver, Newark, and LAX, with onward flights to MCO, that all depart at 5 PM. Should I immediately try to have AC change my flight to one of those flights? I assume they will have enough time to transfer my luggage as they were already going to transfer it to my AC flight departing at 5:30 PM. Is AC very accommodating toward changes like this or do they try their best to discourage you in spite of what the APPR terms and conditions are?
If NRT-YUL is delayed enough to make your connection to MCO illegal, then you can ask to be rebooked. If the delay is posted in advance, the system may well rebook you onto an alternative it deems reasonable. You might also have access to the rebooking tool for other alternatives. APPR really depends on the reason of the delay. Regardless, don't get stressed up over this as it's entirely hypothetical at this point.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mariecel
Interesting thing happened to my flight today - I’m curious if any of you have thoughts on why they would do this?

essentially got an email yesterday morning (approx 28h before departure) that my flight AC 112 was cancelled, and standard spiel about awaiting an email from them with further details. I looked on the app and the closest departure times were 0800 and ~1700 (original departure time 1100). As I was trying to sort out what I should do / girding myself for having to call them, they sent another email that I had been rebooked on AC 2112 (and the usual thing about accepting etc). - same departure time as my original flight. There was something about aircraft availability in the first email but I didn’t think they would cancel a flight and rebook it under a different flight number just for an aircraft change but maybe that’s standard?

fwiw the flight is now delayed to noon (cited as delayed incoming plane but in the app it shows that flight on time, just arriving too late to turn around for a 1100 departure since it was scheduled to arrive YVR 1035).
AC obfuscates a downguage and resulting oversell and denied boarding this way. APPR is very clear on denied boarding compensation due to oversell. AC will weasel out of compensation for cancellation due to safety reasons.

Last edited by I'llMissCP; Jun 19, 2023 at 2:28 pm
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Mariecel
. There was something about aircraft availability in the first email but I didn’t think they would cancel a flight and rebook it under a different flight number just for an aircraft change but maybe that’s standard?
Changing to/from Rouge, or, say, consolidating two flights onto a larger type could trigger a flight number change.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Anyone know why YVR-YYZ AC110 is canceled on 22 June ?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by vernonc
Anyone know why YVR-YYZ AC110 is canceled on 22 June ?
Same flight but different day, just got an email that it was downguaged 77W => 320. Need to find another widebody to switch to...
Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by guessaaa
Same flight but different day, just got an email that it was downguaged 77W => 320. Need to find another widebody to switch to...
Just called the concierge and they said the flight is not canceled. But the app says canceled. It does not show available for sale online. Probably a downguage but no one seems to know.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
If NRT-YUL is delayed enough to make your connection to MCO illegal, then you can ask to be rebooked. If the delay is posted in advance, the system may well rebook you onto an alternative it deems reasonable. You might also have access to the rebooking tool for other alternatives. APPR really depends on the reason of the delay. Regardless, don't get stressed up over this as it's entirely hypothetical at this point.
Our connection YUL to MCO is the following morning June 28th at 7:30 AM. We have already booked the Montreal Airport Hotel due to this connection. I am wondering what the possibility is, if the NRT-YUL is either delayed past 3 hours or is cancelled outright that they will rebook us on United through the US bypassing YUL entirely. Just such a scenario is called out in the APPR where they have to rebook us on the soonest acceptable flight to our destination. I am wondering how realistic this outcome really is.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 10:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by floridastorm
Our connection YUL to MCO is the following morning June 28th at 7:30 AM. We have already booked the Montreal Airport Hotel due to this connection. I am wondering what the possibility is, if the NRT-YUL is either delayed past 3 hours or is cancelled outright that they will rebook us on United through the US bypassing YUL entirely. Just such a scenario is called out in the APPR where they have to rebook us on the soonest acceptable flight to our destination. I am wondering how realistic this outcome really is.
No, APPR is not entirely clear on this. While it says re-booking is required in the event of certain delays, there's no explanation of whether that means a delay to any flight on the itinerary or just delay at final destination. All references to compensation explicitly call out arrival at final destination. I would be willing to bet that AC and other airlines are interpreting that same philosophy to apply to re-booking.

At NRT, you're also likely to run in to agents who are not AC employees. I don't know whether AC uses NH or a 3rd party like Swissport or Menzies, but whoever it is, they're unlikely to know anything about APPR, so if the computer says no, they'll most likely shrug and tell you to take it up with AC customer service after the fact.

The computer might say yes, you can re-book, and you might get what you're hoping for, but I wouldn't count on it, and I would expect trying to argue APPR to be a waste of time.
billdokes likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No, APPR is not entirely clear on this. While it says re-booking is required in the event of certain delays, there's no explanation of whether that means a delay to any flight on the itinerary or just delay at final destination. All references to compensation explicitly call out arrival at final destination. I would be willing to bet that AC and other airlines are interpreting that same philosophy to apply to re-booking.

At NRT, you're also likely to run in to agents who are not AC employees. I don't know whether AC uses NH or a 3rd party like Swissport or Menzies, but whoever it is, they're unlikely to know anything about APPR, so if the computer says no, they'll most likely shrug and tell you to take it up with AC customer service after the fact.

The computer might say yes, you can re-book, and you might get what you're hoping for, but I wouldn't count on it, and I would expect trying to argue APPR to be a waste of time.
Very good catch Adam, sounds like the OP has LOTS of time to make their connection in YUL to MCO (overnight) so regardless if the flight is delayed by 4 hrs, 6 hrs, 8 hrs, connection at YUL will still be made so I would expect no accommodation until such a point as the connection to MCO is compromised, but even then there could be another flight to MCO within 3 hrs of the original.

Hope the OP has a good time at Disneyworld!!
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
AC7780 the last flight from YVR-YEG tonight just got swapped from a CR9 to a DH4 and we lost our Biz seats. Is there a standard approach to such a downgrade? We are on AP J award tickets originating in SFO. Anyone know why the swap has happened?
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
advice sought

My situation is from two weeks ago (June 7).
AC cancelled its flight 307 YUL-YVR. Ticketed in E+. Rebooked automatically on June 8. Customer Service says we can accomodate you on AC 301 at 07:30 - for a voluntary change fee! The problem with the flight the next day is its a 737B with no E+ seating. The only seating available was in the last row! Here are my questions:
- when AC rebooks following a cancellation, do they consider the fact I was in bound from Europe on June 7 ? i.e. is any priority given to connecting passengers?
- why would AC not re-accomodate on the next available flight with E + seating?
- why would they ask for a change fee ?
- what recourse (if any) is warranted?
Thanks, Adam et. al. in advance!
Old Jun 20, 2023, 9:51 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
AC7780 the last flight from YVR-YEG tonight just got swapped from a CR9 to a DH4 and we lost our Biz seats. Is there a standard approach to such a downgrade? We are on AP J award tickets originating in SFO. Anyone know why the swap has happened?
I've had this happen and used the general contact form. Took a few weeks, but they sent me a travel credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.