Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:42 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
How long does it take to turn around an A330...? Tracking inbound aircraft for my flight (flying BOG - YUL tomorrow AM).
Noted an aircraft swap to a different FIN. New plane (C-GKUG) flew FLL - YYZ. Landed late (1730). Original departure time for YYZ - BOG of 2305 pushed back to 0130 (2:25 delay).

Would this be to accommodate some unscheduled maintenance?
8 hours seems like a really long time to turnaround an aircraft, but perhaps some of the wiser folks here can enlighten me.
According to EF, the delay is due to "NON-SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE".

But we don't know enough to say anything about the 8-hour timeline. It's possible the delay was known when the plane was inbound from FLL and that it's a problem that takes quite a few hours of maintenance to fix. It's also possible that the aircraft appeared fine when it came in, sat around for a few hours, and only demonstrated the issue that required the maintenance once they began to prepare it for the next flight.

That being said, it doesn't normally take 8 hours to turn any aircraft; widebodies can definitely be turned in under 3 hours in most circumstances, and usually less than that. And I would note that the YYZ-BOG-YUL turn is blocked for nearly 5 hours on the ground, so even a 2-hour delay might allow them to depart on time (at this time, BOG-YUL is still showing on time, and I've found AC to be somewhat better at posting delays early in this type of situation, over the last couple years).

If the maintenance issue was known in advance, it's possible this is why they chose to swap that FIN to the BOG route, where the outstation turn had more capacity to absorb the delay than another destination where it might be blocked closer to the realistic turn time.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:07 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
According to EF, the delay is due to "NON-SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE".

But we don't know enough to say anything about the 8-hour timeline. It's possible the delay was known when the plane was inbound from FLL and that it's a problem that takes quite a few hours of maintenance to fix. It's also possible that the aircraft appeared fine when it came in, sat around for a few hours, and only demonstrated the issue that required the maintenance once they began to prepare it for the next flight.

That being said, it doesn't normally take 8 hours to turn any aircraft; widebodies can definitely be turned in under 3 hours in most circumstances, and usually less than that. And I would note that the YYZ-BOG-YUL turn is blocked for nearly 5 hours on the ground, so even a 2-hour delay might allow them to depart on time (at this time, BOG-YUL is still showing on time, and I've found AC to be somewhat better at posting delays early in this type of situation, over the last couple years).

If the maintenance issue was known in advance, it's possible this is why they chose to swap that FIN to the BOG route, where the outstation turn had more capacity to absorb the delay than another destination where it might be blocked closer to the realistic turn time.
Thanks for the info. Is that just from EF that you pulled that?

Funny enough that FIN also ended up being re-scheduled to a different route. Now have C-GEFA (which left YYZ nearly 4 hours late as well...)
Old Mar 17, 2023, 8:07 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Thanks for the info. Is that just from EF that you pulled that?
Which part? The cause of the delay in quotation marks was copied and pasted from EF. Everything else was from an expert flyer, not ExpertFlyer
canadiancow and kalderlake like this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
Would just shower quick then and go Sig lounge. It is a million times better. Otherwise I would shower in the Asiana lounge in Seoul lol but ya if wife wants the freshen up then guess no other options.
Actually I would need to "freshen up" due to a VA disability. My wife is actually in a lot better condition than I am and can take these marathon trips like a soldier. Also, I think that most airports have public showers ajacent to their restrooms although I believe you have to pay to use them.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah I just wouldn't worry about it. Self-serve tools are getting better. Any agent can handle a re-route (it definitely helps if you know exactly what you want). A good concierge is going to be better than a bad check-in/MLL/CS agent for sure, but a good MLL agent is going to be better than a bad concierge (of which there are many).

At SFO, if I know a specific concierge or three are working, I might try to get them if I know they're working. But otherwise there are a bunch of agents who have been working for 10 years and have learned 1A really well, and a bunch of bad or new ones (including concierges) who will fumble around.

At any other airport where I don't have that level of knowledge of the staff abilities, it's just not worth my time seeking out a concierge.

Originally Posted by PaulYK
As a non-SE, Concierges would only be available to you when you are in Pearson and only because you are flying in Signature Class. They are located close to check-in. A poster in another discussion has suggested that if someone post-security is looking for the Concierge they could ask the gate agent, customer service desk, or lounge agent to phone the Concierge. How willing the Concierge is to help you may depend on how busy they are. I would suggest firstly seeing if you can be re-routed by the customer service desk or lounge agent. If they are not able to help you with something that works for you, then request to be put in contact with the Concierge. You could leave the secure area and go to their office near check-in if necessary.
Going out of the transit area my prove to be more than it's worth. I'll stick with the transfer customer service agents. Thanks.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah I just wouldn't worry about it. Self-serve tools are getting better. Any agent can handle a re-route (it definitely helps if you know exactly what you want). A good concierge is going to be better than a bad check-in/MLL/CS agent for sure, but a good MLL agent is going to be better than a bad concierge (of which there are many).

At SFO, if I know a specific concierge or three are working, I might try to get them if I know they're working. But otherwise there are a bunch of agents who have been working for 10 years and have learned 1A really well, and a bunch of bad or new ones (including concierges) who will fumble around.

At any other airport where I don't have that level of knowledge of the staff abilities, it's just not worth my time seeking out a concierge.
Good info.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 17, 2023 at 2:22 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Anyone receive an explicit email about a flight departing earlier than expected? 100 odd Air Canada flights and this is a first for me:

Old Mar 17, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC SE(w/*); NEXUS
Originally Posted by loganre17
Anyone receive an explicit email about a flight departing earlier than expected? 100 odd Air Canada flights and this is a first for me:

Yep. About a month or so ago. While initially impressed, as the plane arrived and waited for YUL ground crew, the time got pushed back to the original departure followed by a further delay. And again... Eventually (I'm guessing the crew timed out), it was cancelled around 11 or 11:30pm. I hope you had/have better luck!
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:20 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by codfather
I flew YYT-YOW via YYZ yesterday (March 3rd) with my return flights originally scheduled for tomorrow (March 5th). I requested upgrades over the phone on March 2nd and received a confirmation of upgrade for my first flight, AC443 YOW-YYZ departing at 0800 on March 5th and I was added to the waitlist for YYZ-YYT. I was just glancing at my AC app earlier today prior to checking in and noticed that it now only showed me as flying from YYZ-YYT as if I had booked a multi-city itinerary; the Ottawa flight segment had disappeared without any notice. I called reservations to try and figure out what was going on and was simply told that 443 was canceled (it is not, I can still see it as on time in the app). I informed the agent of this and she very quickly said "no sir, I can see that it is canceled." I was not interested in having a lengthy argument with the agent so after a bit of back and forth I accepted the new routing that I was told was the only option, which now has me leaving YOW at 0605 connecting in YUL to 674 to YYT, but with a 6-hour layover.

Does anyone have any idea what happened here? It is like the segment just disappeared, yet the flight is still scheduled!
So I ended up receiving a reply, but still no explanation ... yet.

Dear Codfather,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent booking. I'm sorry to hear that you had to contact us at the last minute during a work function as a result of the itinerary change you experienced.

Upon review, I'm not able to see what happened to AC 443 which resulted in your booking being changed. I've asked our reservations team to review your booking so that I can provide you with a better explanation of what occurred. Once they have gotten back to me I'll make sure to contact you again with an update.

We know that it can be frustrating for our passengers when their bookings are changed, and based on what you have told us it was difficult for you to address these changes with our contact centre as you were at a work function. I sincerely apologize for the disruption this caused you and the impact that it had on your work. Once we have more information we will make sure to share a copy of your concerns with the appropriate department to ensure this doesn't happen again.

While I know you were not looking for compensation, as a goodwill gesture, we would like to offer you a one-time discount of 20% off the base fare on your next booking at aircanada.com.

We very much appreciate your continued loyalty and support, and we hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you on board again in the near future.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXX
Executive Centre
Customer Relations
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
224 closed up right at T-15 with J checked in full and 4 empty seats. Yay for me.

They posted a delay to 2100 at 2059. It's now 2101 and we haven't pushed.

I feel bad for anyone who showed up at 2031.

Y is also wide open.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:22 am

AC 492 yyz-yul on March 26 doesn't seem to exist any more. I didn't get a notification but just noticed that my layover was longer than expected.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Domestic flights diverting to US

A rainy morning in Toronto means another YYZ gong show, including at least one domestic flight (AC8325, YYG-YYZ) having to divert to CLE ... presumably to take on fuel and wait out the weather.

I have to wonder why it wouldn't divert to a Canadian airport instead, given that London is also in the clear weather-wise.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
A rainy morning in Toronto means another YYZ gong show, including at least one domestic flight (AC8325, YYG-YYZ) having to divert to CLE ... presumably to take on fuel and wait out the weather.

I have to wonder why it wouldn't divert to a Canadian airport instead, given that London is also in the clear weather-wise.
Its not ideal, but it does happen, the weather at the alternate needs to be gosh near perfect, with no significant weather in the forecast. YXU and YHM may not have met those requirements. I've had it happen to me a few times, and it's always been...shall we say unpleasant (Including a YXE-YYZ where we ended up in Rochester, that turned into a gongshow)
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre

So what generally happens in a situation like this? Do they have to go through customs? Since it was a domestic flight, I imagine many people didn't bring their passports.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by Viper786
So what generally happens in a situation like this? Do they have to go through customs? Since it was a domestic flight, I imagine many people didn't bring their passports.
99% of the time, they just stay on the plane. The other 1% of the time, the originating country organizes some emergency visas. I remember this happened with some EU->Asia bound flight that had to divert to Kazakhstan a few years back and the passengers had to wait at the airport for a couple of days.
Viper786 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
99% of the time, they just stay on the plane. The other 1% of the time, the originating country organizes some emergency visas. I remember this happened with some EU->Asia bound flight that had to divert to Kazakhstan a few years back and the passengers had to wait at the airport for a couple of days.
Wow, being stuck at the airport for a couple of days sounds horrible. Also does not sound like a fun time being stuck on an CRJ for the passengers of AC8325 for an indefinite amount of time. Hopefully they can make it to YYZ soon.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
That wasn't with one of the former PanAm 747SPs was it? I know that happened as I was reading an account of it just an hour ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.