Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:02 pm

A family member booked on AC 183 tomorrow (Thursday) received this message yesterday (Tuesday): "Flight AC 183/12 Oct from Toronto to Vancouver has been cancelled due to bad weather which has impacted the departure/destination airport or flight path for your journey." Rebooking tool put her on AC 103, less than an hour later, and two slightly earlier flights are apparently also unaffected. Seems quite bizarre! An exceptionally brief weather bomb predicted 48 hours in advance? Something more sinister? Thoughts anyone?
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
A BA customer helping a friend who flew AC.

Facts

Husband and wife purchased tickets using Avion rewards YVR to LIS return

Tickets AC114 TP260 TP259 TP8046
Received confirmation tickets booked and confirmed when purchased from RBC travel.

On return they tried to check in and could not.

Could not reach RBC travel or AC.

At airport advised wife's ticket fine but husband's ticket did not exist.

Had to purchase one way ticket LIS to YVR to fly with wife.

RBC travel and AC have ignored polite correspondence.

How to approach this? Appreciate help as I am BA savvy but AC ignorant.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by testycal
A BA customer helping a friend who flew AC.

Facts

Husband and wife purchased tickets using Avion rewards YVR to LIS return

Tickets AC114 TP260 TP259 TP8046
Received confirmation tickets booked and confirmed when purchased from RBC travel.

On return they tried to check in and could not.

Could not reach RBC travel or AC.

At airport advised wife's ticket fine but husband's ticket did not exist.

Had to purchase one way ticket LIS to YVR to fly with wife.

RBC travel and AC have ignored polite correspondence.

How to approach this? Appreciate help as I am BA savvy but AC ignorant.
The operating carrier of the flight who caused the disruption would be the one responsible, so in this case it would be TAP Air Portugal since you were checking in for the TAP flight back to Canada at Lisbon. Per EU261 this would be considered denied boarding and they would have to reimburse you the cost of the new flight + 600 Euros compensation. I would file an EU261 claim with TAP for this and see how they respond. EU261 is the most relevant legislation as the impacted flight originated in the EU and APPR is a feckless regulation as it currently stands.

If they deny the claim you will want to see what reason they gave. If they claim something was screwy with your reservation then you contact the legal department of RBC, explain what happened and demand they reimburse you the cost of the new flight + 600 Euros compensation per EU261. If they fail to do that, then take RBC, AC and TAP Air Portugal to BC's Civil Resolution Tribunal.

-RooFlyer88
testycal likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You should probably read the definition of "denied boarding" before you use that phrase in a post where you're offering advice.

I also see nothing that suggests there was a TP-caused disruption.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
I will move this to the TAP thread as it seems the proper location for discussion. Thanks to all
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:28 pm

YYG Wednesday morning.
The A319 operating to YYZ broke down.
I suspect the A321 was subbed in (from an A319) to pick up the stranded.
The evening A319 to YYZ was subbed for a mainline A321.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Received a letter from AC:

We're sorry, AC154 from Calgary to Toronto is cancelled due to a technical issue from an earlier flight which is causing the aircraft that is scheduled to operate your flight to not be available.

An example of a technical issue could include maintenance affecting key aircraft systems such as flight controls, navigation systems, or hydraulics.

This change also affects any customers you are travelling with on this booking.

We're actively looking for an alternative flight. We'll email you with an update shortly.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Previously scheduled:
Departing Calgary (YYC) on 13 Oct 2023 @ 23:25
Arriving in Toronto (YYZ) on 14 Oct 2023 @ 05:10

We know how stressful it can be when travel plans get interrupted. You'll receive a separate email from us about getting your travel plans back on track, because we want to get you on your way as soon as possible.

Seems something wrong with FIN831. AC153 has also been cancelled today. I had a confirmed J on AC154 tonight.

I pre-emptively called the concierge, but she could not help me change the itinerary because "it is now under ground control" or something like that.

Most likely AC154 will be downgauged to a narrow body which I will really hate.

Last edited by Changeup2000; Oct 13, 2023 at 12:43 pm Reason: formatting
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Received a letter from AC:

Seems something wrong with FIN831. AC153 has also been cancelled today. I had a confirmed J on AC154 tonight.

I pre-emptively called the concierge, but she could not help me change the itinerary because "it is now under ground control" or something like that.

Most likely AC154 will be downgauged to a narrow body which I will really hate.
Just as every other day, the incoming flight, 153, was cancelled and actually replaced by 2153. On a Max instead of, I assume, a 333.

There does not appear to be a new 2154 however, at least as yet.

And of course, every other day, it is for reasons outside their control...
Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Just as every other day, the incoming flight, 153, was cancelled and actually replaced by 2153. On a Max instead of, I assume, a 333.

I do not even get a 2154. Have to go to visit a concierge office to get a direct YVR to YYZ flight. Weirdly, there is no wide body overnight flight available tonight. So have to take the next daytime flight in a narrow body and stay at YYZ overnight. Guess AC will reimburse me for the hotel tho.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
I do not even get a 2154. Have to go to visit a concierge office to get a direct YVR to YYZ flight. Weirdly, there is no wide body overnight flight available tonight. So have to take the next daytime flight in a narrow body and stay at YYZ overnight. Guess AC will reimburse me for the hotel tho.
Actually 2154 has now appeared. A Max, surely the same which came as 2153.

They seem to play that game every time they want to downgauge 153/154. My best guess is that whenever too many seats stay empty on the 330, they do this. Cancelling rather than switching equipment and then claiming a safety issue so as not to have to pay IDB/VDB.

We were affected by this last week. After they denied compensation I replied doubting of their claim, on the basis that the 330 originally scheduled did continue flying all the way intil departure time. No answer yet.

Nut same flight, mechanical issue three times a week does not sound like it's believable.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
AC990 from MEX-YYZ diverted to IAH today B738M

5min rapid descent from FL28 to FL10 seems to hint at a pressurization issue. IAH-YYZ was then planned but cancelled.

Hope everyone was admissible to the US!

//something something Boeing 737MAX rapid descent=scary!
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:41 pm

I keep reading about this #153 so much I decided to look it up.

Wow, at least it is serviced by a whole bunch of different aircraft! Even a 220!

Old Oct 13, 2023, 10:04 pm

Actually 2154 has now appeared. A Max, surely the same which came as 2153.

They seem to play that game every time they want to downgauge 153/154. My best guess is that whenever too many seats stay empty on the 330, they do this. Cancelling rather than switching equipment and then claiming a safety issue so as not to have to pay IDB/VDB.

We were affected by this last week. After they denied compensation I replied doubting of their claim, on the basis that the 330 originally scheduled did continue flying all the way intil departure time. No answer yet.

Nut same flight, mechanical issue three times a week does not sound like it's believable.
I was rescheduled to a flight that was ridiculous and did not work for me.

A concierge was able to rebook my on AC122. Despite I had a confirmed J, the concierge insisted that I were not eligible for J and believed I had to be subject to aerolotto at the gate. I did not want to argue with her and just asked to be put on that flight.

She was quite surprised that the system just gave me a seat in J.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC SE(w/*); NEXUS

Same situation for me tonight with 154 (cancelled, replaced by 2154). Down to a Max8. The short crummy nap in a flat seat (that I specifically chose) will now be crummier. Asked to be moved to either the A320 or A321 tomorrow morning but, no dice. I'd just rather sleep in an actual bed if I can't even lie horizontal for 3 hours. Maybe I need to be more pointed in my "requests."
Old Oct 13, 2023, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by YSJ8ed
Same situation for me tonight with 154 (cancelled, replaced by 2154). Down to a Max8. The short crummy nap in a flat seat (that I specifically chose) will now be crummier. Asked to be moved to either the A320 or A321 tomorrow morning but, no dice. I'd just rather sleep in an actual bed if I can't even lie horizontal for 3 hours. Maybe I need to be more pointed in my "requests."
Too bad to hear that. I hope you got a nice sleep on the 2154. Probably some booze in the YYC MLL will help that.

AC actually issued a hotel voucher for me in YYZ tonight. Granted, it is the Alt Hotel rather than Sheraton. But I might just be thankful to have a real bad to sleep tonight.

They even gave me some meal and transportation vouchers I might not need at all. My next flight will be AC600 in the early morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.