Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Old Jan 13, 2023, 4:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by eigenvector
AC8508 YYZ YFC January 12 was delayed 5 hours leaving Toronto, ending up leaving after 2 am, then diverted to Halifax due to the weather in Fredericton.
JZA7898 was 4 hours late leaving YYZ for YQM but arrived a bit earlier than the YFC flight and was able to get in before the weather got too bad. Really bad conditions right now in YSJ YFC and YQM.

SPECI CYQM 131021Z 11013KT 1/4SM R06/5500VP6000FT/D R29/P6000FT/U +SN VV010 M05/M06 A3008 RMK SN8 /S02/ SLP193=

Not many aircraft would attempt to land in such conditions. Especially smaller regional jets
Old Jan 13, 2023, 4:57 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by TheViperOne
JZA7898 was 4 hours late leaving YYZ for YQM but arrived a bit earlier than the YFC flight and was able to get in before the weather got too bad. Really bad conditions right now in YSJ YFC and YQM.

SPECI CYQM 131021Z 11013KT 1/4SM R06/5500VP6000FT/D R29/P6000FT/U +SN VV010 M05/M06 A3008 RMK SN8 /S02/ SLP193=

Not many aircraft would attempt to land in such conditions. Especially smaller regional jets
Weather was definitely nasty.

That said, the flight was supposed to arrive last night when the weather was fine, but was heavily delayed out of YYZ for unknown reasons.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 6:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Jazz cancellation today

A bunch of transborder Jazz flights to or from YYZ have been cancelled, including 8689.

I will be on 8701 tonight. Hopefully I can make it. The preceding flight will be from YUL which gives me some hope.

Update: 2 hours delay. This sucks because it will take away a day from my Canada stay. Currently drinking German beer in LH lounge which will be closed soon. Need to find some place to kill off time I guess.

Last edited by Changeup2000; Jan 13, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:17 pm

My yesterday experience:

Tried to standby an early flight but did not get it despite ranking No. 1 on the upgrade list. The gate agent said he would not give it to me because I got a confirmed J seat in an later flight and he would give any seat, including J seat, to those who did not have a confirmed seat first. Not sure if it should work like that, but in the end the previous flight was delayed so much that I just took my original flight anyway. It was supposed to arrive about 3 hours before my original flight, but in the end only about 40~50 minutes earlier.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think your problem was talking to the gate agent instead of just letting the system work.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think your problem was talking to the gate agent instead of just letting the system work.
I actually let the system run the work. No J seat was available with 16/16 and all checked in.

I waited until almost everyone boarded and approached the gate agent to inquire if there was a no-show or miss connection in J, since, hey, I checked in and miss connected in J earlier the same day. That's when he politely rejected me and (presumably) removed me from the standby list.

I sat there and observed the gate agent actually cleared another 7 or 8 pax after the flight should have long left. I supposed all of them were cleared into Y. It might have worked me in the end because I would rather sit in J for my original flight than taking a middle Y seat for the sake of arriving about 50 minutes earlier.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Had an interesting experience a couple of days ago with an Aeroplan ticket on AC from SYD > YVR > YYZ.

The afternoon before my flight I received a notification that AC 34 was delayed and another delay notification an hour or so later, which would result in me missing my connection in Vancouver. I called in to see what they could do and the agent said she could put me on a much later connecting flight from Vancouver. I asked if she could put me on something else, and she was able to offer Asiana from SYD > ICN and Air Canada from ICN > YYZ. I asked about Etihad, but she said that I had to stay within the zone (and it wouldnt make sense as I would get in much later than the other option). Her recommendation was to wait as she said the system would likely bring up a better option in a misconnect scenario.

Went to bed and woke up early to see a notification from AC that they had rebooked me on UA 100 from SYD > IAH and AC 108 from IAH > YYZ. As much as United has improved, the idea of spending close to 16 hours on that flight didnt really appeal to me. I did some investigation and found a Qantas flight from SYD > LAX and an AC flight from LAX > YYZ. I called in and asked to be put on those flights, as I didnt want to be on a United flight that was that long. At first the agent told me that the Qantas flight was operated by WestJet, but after assuring him WestJet doesnt fly from Sydney to LA and doesnt fly A380s he checked again and was able to book it. It was a bit challenging for them to ticket the flight (took about an hour), but they were able to get it done.

Not sure if AC has become a lot more lenient with booking non-AC non-alliance flights in these scenarios, but I was pretty impressed that they were willing to make it happen. I got to experience Qantas long-haul business for the first time, which was a real treat (seat was very comfortable, food was fantastic and the pyjamas were a treat) and got to Toronto a little after I was originally scheduled to arrive.
D582, canadiancow and TheCanuckian like this.

Last edited by Benner; Jan 16, 2023 at 9:51 pm Reason: Fixing an autocorrect error
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: HON Circle
Flight Ops this wednesday and thursday should get interesting with the forecasted storm in eastern Canada (Windsor - QC corridor). Already got my customary email from AC offering to switch flights since they are "monitoring".
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Benner
Not sure if AC has become a lot more lenient with booking non-AC non-alliance flights in these scenarios, but I was pretty impressed that they were willing to make it happen.
I speculate not wanting to pay out APPR compensation is driving at least some of these rebooking scenarios. Also helps that you could transit the US as not everyone would be eligible.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Any way to check out the documented reason for a cancellation from 3 weeks ago? I didn't have an EF sub at the time and it only goes back 7 days. Gate staff were very muted about the reason for cancellation of AC129 (Jan 3rd) as they were dealing with 350+ people trying to get hotels/home, etc.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Snowmaggedon is here
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Snowmaggedon is here
This is why I always laugh at AC trying to sell cheap fares from flyover cities in the US to Europe connecting in YYZ/YUL, especially in the winter. Those are the first to go when IRROPS hit.

Someone flying back today from say CDG connecting to Cleveland or Columbus ... good luck - the flight from CDG will land but you're probably going to be enjoying an airport hotel in Toronto for a couple of days.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
This is why I always laugh at AC trying to sell cheap fares from flyover cities in the US to Europe connecting in YYZ/YUL, especially in the winter. Those are the first to go when IRROPS hit.

Someone flying back today from say CDG connecting to Cleveland or Columbus ... good luck - the flight from CDG will land but you're probably going to be enjoying an airport hotel in Toronto for a couple of days.
Most flights to/from DCA later to day and tomorrow morning are already cancelled. I had to reschedule to tomorrow afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed, but remaining philosophical with the situation.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

Sure, and in the last hour ORD has cancellations on SGF, RDU, RST, TVC, MSN, GRR, ALO, FWA, CID, HPN, AVP...

Are there hub airports where tiny regionals *aren't* first on the chopping block when slots get reduced due to weather IRROPS?

BTW, anyone who knows all those airports without having to look any up, should probably get some kind of special FT badge. I got just over half.
ChrisA330 and ffsim like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:05 pm

Flyertalk needs to add a hover function over any three capitalized letters together showing the airport to which they refer.

If the cow can do it, so can they.

Last edited by kalderlake; Jan 25, 2023 at 4:34 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.