Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada email offers (20% off today only, etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada email offers (20% off today only, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Some may not realise that just clicking the "20% off" banner on the website doesn't apply the code, it has to be applied manually.

Even then, it discounts "today's" price ... I've also found "today's" price fluctuates from what I saw only a day or two before.
Bindy Johal likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Seems like a scam - I used the code online, entering it where prompted, and the fare is exactly the same as what I can verify in my GDS.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I cant log in and complete the booking.... had to do it as a guest and now on hold for another 2 hours on the elite line to add my details as I can't do this under my PNR too.

Sigh.

Not sure if it was worth the $12 savings I received lol.

It says there was only 1 ticket remaining at that price so I booked it. I shall see tomorrow if it indeed was a sale or a switch/bait like these type of sales usually are
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
I booked a trip a couple of days ago - YYZ-YYC-YYJ with a YYJ-YYZ return. Called AC, and I was able to change my outbound to YYZ-YYJ direct and get a credit of $155 based on the new fares. I guess I was lucky, but then again, both direct flights are on Rouge.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: AP AS BA
Worked fine for me. I was able to book a couple of positioning flights to YVR and LAX. I was also pleasantly surprised by the low YQs. There was zero YQ in a yyc-yvr flightmin July.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
As usual, this is a complete joke.

I booked a trip to YXE yesterday. Economy Flex-G. I paid $456 (pre-tax) round trip. I checked this morning and the same flights are now $855. Using the discount code given above and it is now $752 (pre-tax). I looked on expert flyer and the flights are still G9 so that's not the issue.

Even if that fare bucket had gone away and we had to look at L or T, that's still a big jump when you consider today has a "20% discount" and yesterday did not.

I'm open to learning here. Am I missing something or is this really just total BS that people fall for?

And today Flex is pricing at $572.

What a joke.
Bindy Johal likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I never got this email offer, but it was prominently on the landing page slider of the website.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
I have been eyeing YYZ-YYJ roundtrip. In the last 2 days, the fares and redemption rates have been going up a lot. Yesterday the buy rates and redemption rates both jumped, and 20% brings the buy rates down a bit. I bought tickets both ways, worried if the rates are going to continue go up.

Today the rates (after that 20% sale) came down a bit for most, and the redemption rates came down by quite a bit.

So the 20% sale looks to be a scam to me. I'm cancelling both purchased fares, and booking point redemption. Glad the fares can be cancelled within 24hr.
SKYEG and Bindy Johal like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
I cant log in and complete the booking.... had to do it as a guest and now on hold for another 2 hours on the elite line to add my details as I can't do this under my PNR too.

Sigh.

Not sure if it was worth the $12 savings I received lol.

It says there was only 1 ticket remaining at that price so I booked it. I shall see tomorrow if it indeed was a sale or a switch/bait like these type of sales usually are
Well my flight went down in price AFTER the sale so I wasted my time and money for $12 savings that was a scam. Not falling for this again.
yscleo and darylbnb like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:25 pm

shoutout to air canada that raised all their prices during their "sale", and now lowered all their prices where J is now cheaper than what Y was compared to their "sale". ALL flights are now J/C/D/Z9 only R0 with the discounted J fares introduced when it was R9 for every single flight just yesterday. T-30. lol.

I'm not angry about paying for switching for cheap J but it's annoying the deceptive marketing they use. Now I need to pay a change fee and lose unnecessary money to upgrade to J which is so stupid. they should allow for a free change if J is cheaper than the Y ticket cost.

Last edited by SKYEG; Jun 22, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by SKYEG
shoutout to air canada that raised all their prices during their "sale", and now lowered all their prices where J is now cheaper than what Y was compared to their "sale". ALL flights are now J/C/D/Z9 only R0 with the discounted J fares introduced when it was R9 for every single flight just yesterday. T-30. lol.

I'm not angry about paying for switching for cheap J but it's annoying the deceptive marketing they use. Now I need to pay a change fee and lose unnecessary money to upgrade to J which is so stupid. they should allow for a free change if J is cheaper than the Y ticket cost.
I thought they have unlimited free changes until June 30? Couldn't you change to a flex ticket and cancel?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by darylbnb
I thought they have unlimited free changes until June 30? Couldn't you change to a flex ticket and cancel?
That's not at all how it works.

But you can (and always have been able to) upcabin without a change fee.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's not at all how it works.

But you can (and always have been able to) upcabin without a change fee.
Originally Posted by darylbnb
If you up cabin and cancel a ticket they'll refund you the difference you paid to upcabin, but won't refund you your original fare. Since changes are allowed, they will let you hold the rest as a credit (or convert to a GC, etc).
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:42 pm

AC had a surprise 15% off one day seat sale for Canada flights (Y only). I think it was to match WS as I got an email from them before AC.

I did some playing around with the flights a few days before and the prices indeed seemed to be 15% off the actual base fares from before. No price raising w/ discount shenanigans. So it seems AC is honest with their seat sales sometimes --- most likely when it's a surprise one day to match WS lol. Booked both my parents YYC-YUL R/T to visit my sister end of August for 15% off. Pretty happy with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.