Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight pass price increases (2022-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight pass price increases (2022-23)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
East-West Connector Lat FP still looks very good value - I miss flying YYZ-YVR regularly.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by RZR
Can you eleaborate on the "flexibility of changes"? what benefits compared to a regular fare is fare beneficial exactly? Much thanks.
The Florida Plus flight pass allows for free changes, although they do (did before COVID) charge a fee to cancel.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I'm just catching up after my long travel hiatus, and was dismayed to see the FP price hike. It still has the benefit of being available close to travel date, so I don't have to book and change - I can just hold off booking until I know my schedule. At last minute, a straight fare has often passed that point. I had planned to use a FP credit to send the offspring back to FL until I saw the new price but it was just as cheap to buy the offspring a oneway single ticket Indeed on the incoming flight, it was much cheaper to buy the oneway single ticket (like, $100 Florida - YYZ). It may still be valuable for me, especially for the 100% AQM and last minute availability, but really makes you think, if you've been used to the old fares.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Ya, the price increased so much I thought it was a mistake (even if they divide the price by 2, it's still higher than the last time I bought one, which was in October). I wrote to the flight pass desk a few days ago asking if it was, and no response yet.
Ok so AC responded and said that it is the correct price for the Alberta energy pass. "Flight pass prices are only guaranteed once you purchase the pass."

So I guess I'll never buy another Alberta or BC energy pass. It was nice while it lasted.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Energy FP

Over the last year I bought several of these and was looking at buying another until I saw the price change. I would have bought at least two over the next few months. Doesn't make sense to give AC my money ahead of time unless there is real value in doing so. Now I will check all options / airlines and get a ticket close to when I want to fly.

Ok so AC responded and said that it is the correct price for the Alberta energy pass. "Flight pass prices are only guaranteed once you purchase the pass."

So I guess I'll never buy another Alberta or BC energy pass. It was nice while it lasted.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Yeah, I don't think anyone here was questioning their prerogative to change FP pricing, just the sanity of more than doubling the price overnight.
folkart and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 3:18 pm

Too much traction on the blogs.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 3:21 pm

Something I find interesting is that while the Alberta and BC Energy passes have more than doubled in price, the Ontario and Quebec mining passes haven't, I wonder what the logic is there? Too bad I don't really need those passes.
Shhhh, don't give them any ideas. I like the ON Mining Pass quite a bit, a reasonable price per credit and free changes.

Last edited by zappy312; Dec 9, 2022 at 5:50 pm
Old Dec 10, 2022, 6:27 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I normally use 6 Sun Pass Plus passes per year, mostly Latitude with a few flex.
Pricing has gotten insane. Will probably just purchase regular revenue fares in 2023. Not very pleased with this, but at some point you have pull the plug.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Was the Southwestern "J" pass changed to Premium Rouge this year? I thought it was a good deal and one I've thought of for ski weekends in YVR/YYC, but I always thought it was a mainline J pass, which doesn't seem to be the case now. One experience in Premium Rouge was enough for a lifetime for me, but that also makes it completely unusable for YVR/YYC.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Santander
Was the Southwestern "J" pass changed to Premium Rouge this year? .
Check the 'preview flight availability' button in the buy passes area- it shows a range of mainline as well as Express/Jazz flight options depending on your origin/destination.

Bigger variable is the stream of flight schedule changes- I do not recall having so many on FP routes as we have experienced already this fall/winter.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:57 am

Jesus just finished my 20 credits on my Sun Pass and just so the increase. quite crazy
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:30 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Just noticed this has been inserted into the T&C of the Sun PassPeak Travel Period
  • A Peak Travel Period applies between December 20 to December 23 and January 5 to January 9 inclusive. When a travel date is selected within a Peak Period, a Fare Premium will be charged at time of booking confirmation. The Fare Premium is non-refundable and subject to change at any time.
Each pass type seems to have different prices
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:42 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ABG
Just noticed this has been inserted into the T&C of the Sun PassPeak Travel Period
  • A Peak Travel Period applies between December 20 to December 23 and January 5 to January 9 inclusive. When a travel date is selected within a Peak Period, a Fare Premium will be charged at time of booking confirmation. The Fare Premium is non-refundable and subject to change at any time.
Each pass type seems to have different prices
Yikes. Luckily I don't usually travel on those exact dates because of how our work schedule is.
Zone - Fare Premium Amounts
Southwestern: $149
Florida: $299
Florida Plus: $299
Hawaii: $299
It's a hefty sum. For example

Southwest Flex (from West Triangle). $149 premium. +$316 per segment normally. ~50% increase in price.
Florida Flex (from East Triangle/YQB). $299 premium. +$606 per segment. ~60% increase.
Florida Flex Plus (from East Triangle/YQB). $299 premium. +$563 per segment. ~53% increase.
Hawaii Flex (from West Triangle). $299 premium. +736 per segment. ~40% increase.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: AC*SEMM
Be careful, often times now when the fare is high and you are close to the travel date, the FP for Florida in Flex (which books in M) is M0 so not available ...
flyquiet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.