Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight pass price increases (2022-23)

Flight pass price increases (2022-23)

Old Jun 6, 22, 9:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: CET Diamond, Choice Platinum, Grandma's Clean Plate Club
Posts: 7
Flight pass price increases (2022-23)

Trying to figure out how to book into biz from YVR to LAS when they only have a single flight per day, when I noticed the price has gone up for the Southwestern pass, and so I assume across the board. New one (Canada Coast to Coast, book by July 6). Sigh.
Carrefour Giratoire is offline  
Old Jun 7, 22, 5:09 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,916
Originally Posted by Carrefour Giratoire View Post
Trying to figure out how to book into biz from YVR to LAS when they only have a single flight per day, when I noticed the price has gone up for the Southwestern pass, and so I assume across the board. New one (Canada Coast to Coast, book by July 6). Sigh.
When they're asking >$1000 per direction all month long for the route you want, it's no wonder pass prices might go up.
jjclancy is offline  
Old Sep 7, 22, 4:31 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 689
Flight passes to Europe have gone way up...
Western Canada to France and the United Kingdom - 6 segments was 4332 last year, ~4900 earlier this year, and now 6270.
Europe and North Africa Pass - Western Canada - 6 segments was ~5200 earlier this year, and now 6516.

The name of the Europe one is now "Europe and North Africa Pass - Western Canada with Codeshare Flights" - I don't recall the "Codeshare Flights" being there before. Are the available destinations different than before?

Southwestern sun pass remains the same as a month ago, 6 segments is 1896 from YVR/YYC/YEG. (was 1770 earlier this year)
vancouver25k is offline  
Old Sep 7, 22, 12:24 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Posts: 2,613
Originally Posted by vancouver25k View Post
Flight passes to Europe have gone way up...
Western Canada to France and the United Kingdom - 6 segments was 4332 last year, ~4900 earlier this year, and now 6270.
Europe and North Africa Pass - Western Canada - 6 segments was ~5200 earlier this year, and now 6516.

The name of the Europe one is now "Europe and North Africa Pass - Western Canada with Codeshare Flights" - I don't recall the "Codeshare Flights" being there before. Are the available destinations different than before?

Southwestern sun pass remains the same as a month ago, 6 segments is 1896 from YVR/YYC/YEG. (was 1770 earlier this year)
I think the Europe and Morocco Pass - Western Canada Latitude was around $1500 per segment, now it is up to $1769.

IIRC, the Codeshare flights were around 1-2 years ago.
vancouver25k likes this.
Diabeetus is offline  
Old Sep 8, 22, 10:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: YVR
Programs: E75K
Posts: 22
It was bound to happen. The Euro FP was far cheaper than booking separately. Sometimes the Euro LT FP was cheaper than booking FL separately.
thaddaeus is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 1:33 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver
Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 1,228
Originally Posted by vancouver25k View Post
Flight passes to Europe have gone way up...
Western Canada to France and the United Kingdom - 6 segments was 4332 last year, ~4900 earlier this year, and now 6270.
Europe and North Africa Pass - Western Canada - 6 segments was ~5200 earlier this year, and now 6516.

The name of the Europe one is now "Europe and North Africa Pass - Western Canada with Codeshare Flights" - I don't recall the "Codeshare Flights" being there before. Are the available destinations different than before?

Southwestern sun pass remains the same as a month ago, 6 segments is 1896 from YVR/YYC/YEG. (was 1770 earlier this year)
I wondered the same question. I did a search to find out where in the forums the original reference codeshare flights is located and couldn't find it. There was a point in the last few years about codeshare flights being added in as being bookable on a flight pass. It appears that AC has now recognised adding the code share option is monetisable and are making it a separate flight pass (and hence charging for it).
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Old Sep 25, 22, 7:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: YVR
Programs: E75K
Posts: 22
The Euro FP allowed codeshare flights for at least the last 4 years. The new non-codeshare Euro FP has limited destinations. Real bummer now. I used to fly into FRA and then take a codeshare to my destination. Now if I do the cheaper Euro FP, I have to fly through YYZ or YUL.
thaddaeus is offline  
Old Oct 21, 22, 3:12 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Posts: 959
I do not see the Euro FP for sale. Is it still available?
Wings100 is offline  
Old Oct 21, 22, 9:06 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Programs: IHG Diamond, Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by Wings100 View Post
I do not see the Euro FP for sale. Is it still available?
Still appears for me.


King Chung Huang is online now  
Old Oct 21, 22, 11:20 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Posts: 959
Thanks, not sure why it is not showing up for me

figured out it was setting my location as US

Last edited by Wings100; Oct 21, 22 at 11:31 am
Wings100 is offline  
Old Nov 22, 22, 7:15 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 116
I'm curious if dynamic pricing applies to Flight Passes as well. Do we know the frequency in which Flight Pass pricing gets revised?

I purchased 6 credit Florida Plus Flex Pass on November 15 for $2,709.

I just checked again this morning and it has been repriced a week later at $3,383.
JayTakesOff is offline  
Old Nov 22, 22, 7:41 am
  #12  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Silver, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Hilton/Radisson Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 15,113
Originally Posted by JayTakesOff View Post
I'm curious if dynamic pricing applies to Flight Passes as well.
No, it doesn't.

Do we know the frequency in which Flight Pass pricing gets revised?
Interestingly. The prices for many passes have stayed steady for years.

​​​​​​​You got lucky to purchase shortly before a big jump in the pass you bought.
JayTakesOff likes this.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Nov 25, 22, 8:34 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YYZ
Programs: Super Elite 100K, Mariott Ambassador Elite,
Posts: 225
Flight Pass Increase - Sun Destinations

Not really much more than a vent here, but the price increases for these passes have now shot through the roof.

Prices below for 2 person Florida Plus pass, from Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa. - 8 Credits

Feb 2020 - $3066 / 8 = $383.25 per credit
April 2022 - $3376.80 / 8 = $422.10
Sept 2022 - $3612.00 / 8 = $451.50
Nov 2022 - $4510.00 / 8 = $563.75

It's that last jump that really gets me.

I realize it's a business, and they can charge what they feel the market will bear, but it still hurts.

I have purchased dozens of these passes over the years, but this may be the end of them for now.

Has anyone else noticed any large jumps on other passes?
TVTravels is offline  
Old Nov 25, 22, 8:39 am
  #14  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Silver, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Hilton/Radisson Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 15,113
Originally Posted by TVTravels View Post
Has anyone else noticed any large jumps on other passes?
Yes. The Alberta Energy passes have gone from very good value to a joke. They dropped the J option and massively increased prices on the Y options. The BC & AB 4-credit pass in Flex went from $1,071 to $2,310, for instance. It was probably underpriced before, but now it only makes sense if you want to fly last-minute to the outstations, it's never going to be competitive for things like YYC-YVR, YEG-YYJ, etc.
​​​​​​
EdmFlyBoi likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 25, 22 at 9:30 am Reason: Clarification
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Nov 25, 22, 9:07 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 1,450
Originally Posted by TVTravels View Post
Not really much more than a vent here, but the price increases for these passes have now shot through the roof.

Prices below for 2 person Florida Plus pass, from Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa. - 8 Credits

Feb 2020 - $3066 / 8 = $383.25 per credit
April 2022 - $3376.80 / 8 = $422.10
Sept 2022 - $3612.00 / 8 = $451.50
Nov 2022 - $4510.00 / 8 = $563.75

It's that last jump that really gets me.

I realize it's a business, and they can charge what they feel the market will bear, but it still hurts.

I have purchased dozens of these passes over the years, but this may be the end of them for now.

Has anyone else noticed any large jumps on other passes?
Wow. Thats over $1,100 for a return trip. Other than March break, you will almost always be able to get a better deal. I bought the same pass back in the summer and still considered it a good deal at $840 per round trip. Not now.
172pilot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread