Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Former NHL Player slams AC and Toronto Pearson after night at airport

Former NHL Player slams AC and Toronto Pearson after night at airport

Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Duff76
I’m navigating this disaster zone in a couple of weeks. Jeepers.
I flew to Europe from YYZ. With Nexus, screening took less than 10 minutes

On the return we were delayed 10 minutes for gate assignment. Then off plane and through customs in less than 10 minutes

It's not always as bad as some would have you believe.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
To steer this back on topic, AC is aware of the ongoing challenges of the airport, they're happening every day and have been for months, but seems to show no foresight in planning solutions like forcing longer MCTs, having more staff on hand to deal with problems, improving communication with other parties, increasing turn times for planes inbound from international destinations. These all feel like solvable problems to me that would proactively prevent some of the cascading issues.
They have taken some steps that are within their control (and are not difficult/complex to implement):
  • Increased check-in cut-off for international flights to 90 minutes from 60 minutes at YYZ
  • I got an e-mail from them the day before my Sunday flight to LAS telling me to show up extra early. "Please note if you arrive less than 2 hours prior to departure, you’re likely to miss your flight." They even said "Only have carry-on baggage? Or are you a Priority or Nexus customer?You must still be checked in and in line for security and customs prior to the 90-minute cut-off time otherwise you may miss your flight." (Of course it only took about 10 minutes to get through security and customs with my NEXUS card but the regular customs line was horrendous looking.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by vernonc
Air Canada, Toronto Pearson slammed by former NHL player | CTV News

Obviously many failures here. Baggage handling issues. Not enough AC staff. Lack of communication, etc..
Right now, AC and GTAA seem to blame the Feds and their testing regime. I think there seems to be systemic issues at Pearson both with AC and GTAA. They seem to have staff to ensure passengers do not deplane while metering is in process unless they have connecting flights but they do not have enough staff at connecting points or in immigration hall. They do random swab tests at the Nexus line but no where else.
On my AC flight from VCE arriving in YYZ, bags were removed from the belt before we got there and the staff were sitting on chairs chatting while passengers were waiting around the belt waiting for bags that had already arrived and off loaded from the belt. Some of us found our own bags and I informed other passengers to check.
GTAA tells me that metering is AC responsibility. AC does not let Nexus pax off the plane even though we do not clog the regular lines.
Both AC and GTAA need some managers to get out of their offices and solve some on the ground issues.
If this continues, people are going to avoid connecting thru YYZ which would in turn have an effect on AC.
Both sides are just going to blame each other. Also, USCBP isn't administered by the canadian government, Pearson airport or Air Canada. So a 3 hour customs line going from YEG-YYZ-BOS is ONLY the fault of USCBP. I suppose the alternative could be suspending pre-clearance at YYZ, but I'm not sure that's actually feasible or physically possible the way the airports are constructed.

I've travelled internationally 3 times since Nov 2021, it's been a piece of cake each time. I've transited YYZ, YUL (twice) and EWR without Nexus and without issue. There's nothing to do with testing, honestly the Arrivecan App either works too well or not at all, the kiosks have never once been able to read my QR code on arrival. But at the same time, nearly no lines and no issues getting through customs/baggage claim. No testing has ever been mentioned to me, I've always got my arrivecan done so when I get to the end of the line if there is one, I'm done and through. The only fault I can find anecdotally are CATSA not having enough staff to have multiple screening points open and CBSA either not having enough people to process a line if one forms, or they have deployed them elsewhere. I'm sure lots of CBSA guards got laid off, but that's a CAREER, people come back to that. CATSA is a decent paying JOB and it's easy as hell from what I can see...but I can see why people wouldn't come back to that if they found another job during covid or decided to stop working etc.

Lastly, get real, if you said "NEXUS passengers can get off first" suddenly the entire plane would have Nexus.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I've actively tried to avoid flying AC through YYZ since the Spring, and either connecting in the US (pre-clearance at YOW is a breeze), or connecting through YUL or YVR.

Based on my experiences at Pearson, the main issue seems to be a lack of CBSA staff. On numerous occasions there was only 1 BSO at a booth for the non-Nexus passengers to funnel through. This bottleneck at customs causes the cascading delays as aircraft are unable to deplane, then can't move out of the gate so another aircraft can deplane, crews time out, etc etc.

As an aside based on what was mentioned above in this thread, CBSA officers occupy Federal, unionized positions and were not laid off during the pandemic. Redeployed elsewhere to other Ports of Entry, perhaps, but not laid off. That said, I think we're starting to veer off into the realm of the YYZ Arrivals / Security threads in the Canada forum.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Both sides are just going to blame each other. Also, USCBP isn't administered by the canadian government, Pearson airport or Air Canada. So a 3 hour customs line going from YEG-YYZ-BOS is ONLY the fault of USCBP. I suppose the alternative could be suspending pre-clearance at YYZ, but I'm not sure that's actually feasible or physically possible the way the airports are constructed.

I've travelled internationally 3 times since Nov 2021, it's been a piece of cake each time. I've transited YYZ, YUL (twice) and EWR without Nexus and without issue. There's nothing to do with testing, honestly the Arrivecan App either works too well or not at all, the kiosks have never once been able to read my QR code on arrival. But at the same time, nearly no lines and no issues getting through customs/baggage claim. No testing has ever been mentioned to me, I've always got my arrivecan done so when I get to the end of the line if there is one, I'm done and through. The only fault I can find anecdotally are CATSA not having enough staff to have multiple screening points open and CBSA either not having enough people to process a line if one forms, or they have deployed them elsewhere. I'm sure lots of CBSA guards got laid off, but that's a CAREER, people come back to that. CATSA is a decent paying JOB and it's easy as hell from what I can see...but I can see why people wouldn't come back to that if they found another job during covid or decided to stop working etc.

Lastly, get real, if you said "NEXUS passengers can get off first" suddenly the entire plane would have Nexus.
Er, no. Connecting passengers can only get off by showing their connecting BP. Many people claim to be connecting but got turned back at the door. Very simple to ask to see Nexus card too.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by vernonc
Er, no. Connecting passengers can only get off by showing their connecting BP. Many people claim to be connecting but got turned back at the door. Very simple to ask to see Nexus card too.
Ok that's a perfectly good idea, but we're gonna do this on every flight going forward? Doesn't really solve anything. Just brings the line to the front of the aircraft and not the customs hall. The problem really has nothing to do with AC, has everything to do with the CBSA.
CanadaDH likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
YYZ is still a mess, but this is a rare case where I'd defend AC. They are at the mercy of the airport.

My most recent experience was upon arrival from BOG 4pm Sunday, and they announced several times they were metering pax unless you have a connecting BP.

Then a YYZ agent boarded and said they weren't metering, but there was a gate hold other than connections. To our amusement, the SD could absolutely not comprehend the difference and blocked connections while she argued "so you ARE metering even though you just said you aren't."

Our onward Aeroplan ticket was deemed insufficient to deplane since we 'had plenty of time'. We were eventually allowed off by another FA's judgment call.... helpful since the rest of our party left the plane first, and our onward flight was from T3.

There was zero wait at the immigration hall. Nobody lined up at Nexus or regular arrivals. Perhaps the metering system works "too good."

​​​
entropy, vernonc, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Jun 7, 2022 at 2:38 am
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I was arriving on a LH flight (at peak euro arrival time) , and a AC flight from US, a few weeks ago and they were metering.... and in both cases the customs hall was nearly empty. Very annoying.

The NEXUS E-Gates don't quite work yet either .... and you still have to get in line after, so I don't understand the point... maybe it'll be that way once they get rid of the "random" testing .. they should just let you thru like they do in Europe.

I think if you're not departing before 9A (anywhere) or the evening int'l, you're probably fine. They can't manage the peak traffic. And FWIW I think some of that blame lies with AC for so strongly banking the AM departures... if they spread them out over 2 hours it would be much smoother.
vernonc likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:39 am

Tip : if arriving at YYZ from US/Intl, book yourself a refundable ticket > 2 hrs from your arrival.

Bingo. You have a connecting flight on arrival and can get off the plane. Get out of plane, then CXL the flight.

Also, this AM, I flew to Calgary while taking my newly married son and wife to SE desk for their flight out. It was 515am, no one there, got their bags checked, then off to Nexis. In the lounge at 545am. Then I CXLD my Calgary flight (just needed BP in case the folks at the entrance to T1 were checking. They don't. ).

Don't bother shaming me. I don't care. Stupid times call for strategic solutions for this SE - until AC fixes it, I will use all the angles I can to manage the stupidity.

Last edited by InTheAirGuy; Jun 7, 2022 at 6:40 am Reason: ...
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Tip : if arriving at YYZ from US/Intl, book yourself a refundable ticket > 2 hrs from your arrival.

Bingo. You have a connecting flight on arrival and can get off the plane. Get out of plane, then CXL the flight.

Also, this AM, I flew to Calgary while taking my newly married son and wife to SE desk for their flight out. It was 515am, no one there, got their bags checked, then off to Nexis. In the lounge at 545am. Then I CXLD my Calgary flight (just needed BP in case the folks at the entrance to T1 were checking. They don't. ).

Don't bother shaming me. I don't care. Stupid times call for strategic solutions for this SE - until AC fixes it, I will use all the angles I can to manage the stupidity.
I will be doing this...possibly even taking it one step further with an old photoshopped mobile boarding pass. It pains me every time I wait for a gate due to congestion, following by waiting on board for a customs hold only to arrive in the customs hall with no lines and little people. I honestly think the customs metering is a ploy by airlines to ensure connecting PAX get off first to avoid misconnects.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
I flew to Europe from YYZ. With Nexus, screening took less than 10 minutes

On the return we were delayed 10 minutes for gate assignment. Then off plane and through customs in less than 10 minutes

It's not always as bad as some would have you believe.
When you arrive at non-peak times, it's fine.

It's when things break down or there is a peak time, and things start to break down - it spirals out of control faster than ever before. Trust me, when it's bad, it's bad.

Originally Posted by seegs
I will be doing this...possibly even taking it one step further with an old photoshopped mobile boarding pass. It pains me every time I wait for a gate due to congestion, following by waiting on board for a customs hold only to arrive in the customs hall with no lines and little people. I honestly think the customs metering is a ploy by airlines to ensure connecting PAX get off first to avoid misconnects.
You might want a real BP; they have been scanning on occasion.
tcook052 and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 7, 2022 at 5:56 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
You might want a real BP; they have been scanning on occasion.
Good to know, thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Are people getting metered off large planes only? And is it only AC/Westjet?

I've arrived a few times on small planes so far during busy times of the day, and have never been metered.

Will also be using the refundable ticket solution in the summer.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: air miles
Isn't complaining about Air Travel Canada's second pastime. (First obviously being hockey)
streetcircusdan likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
> Be an airport.
> Hire a consultant to "optimize" worker schedules.
> Schedule plebs to work on mornings and evenings.
> lifesgood.jpg
> Global pandemic shuts down the airport. Lay off all the plebs.
> Pandemic officially ends.
> Can't get any plebs to come back to get "optimized".
> Why did Justin do this to me?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.