Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is it okay for economy passengers to stow their luggage in the premium cabin?

Old May 27, 22, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

While seated in J, during boarding some woman walked by and asked, referring to the overhead bin, "whose jackets are these?" And then proceeded to tell us that it's a full flight so we're not allowed to stow our jackets in the overhead bin, remove them, and add her suitcase in their place.... But then proceed to the economy cabin.

I'm not sure if this just socially kind of a dick move... Or if the FA should have been paying attention and stepped in.

Anyway, thoughts?
Old May 27, 22, 1:08 pm

She's so rude, is your rights to put what ever you want at overhead bin, if cabin are full their luggage should be check-in at the gate.
unclepants and nexus7556 like this.
Old May 27, 22, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Plat, HH Silver, BW Gold
If anything is going to be put in the Business Class bins by anyone other than a J passenger, it should be done/supervised by an FA. In this situation I would politely refuse to move my stuff and request they talk to the FA about their luggage. If the FA asks me to move my stuff, or moves it for me, that is fair ball, in my opinion. If it was a jacket, I would hope they put it in the wardrobe closet for me.
Old May 27, 22, 3:49 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I’d involve a FA tout de suite. How dare she.
nk15 likes this.
Old May 27, 22, 4:37 pm

Programs: none

Is it okay for economy passengers to stow their luggage in the premium cabin

You can do anything you want (short of violating the law) on any flight - as long as the airline/crew says it's OK.
Old May 27, 22, 5:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
While seated in J, during boarding some woman walked by and asked, referring to the overhead bin, "whose jackets are these?" And then proceeded to tell us that it's a full flight so we're not allowed to stow our jackets in the overhead bin, remove them, and add her suitcase in their place.... But then proceed to the economy cabin.

I'm not sure if this just socially kind of a dick move... Or if the FA should have been paying attention and stepped in.

Anyway, thoughts?
1) Wait 90 seconds
2) "Hi <FA Name> would you mind checking this bag for me? The bins are getting pretty full and I'm in no rush today."
Old May 27, 22, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the very least bad manners. I have seen quite a bit of this in the US, folks entering, putting their carryon in front and walking to the bag as a matter of routine. Not so much on AC. But yes, it happens. Some airlines including LH and I think SN have a plate on the front bins clearly stating that these are reserved for business class passengers.
Old May 27, 22, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JDB777 View Post
"Hi <FA Name> would you mind checking this bag for me? The bins are getting pretty full and I'm in no rush today."
Or, "There's an unattended bag in the overhead." But that could delay the flight.
Old May 27, 22, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Tie a ribbon to it. They'll think it was somebody else's
JackE likes this.
Old May 27, 22, 8:54 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
And then proceeded to tell us that it's a full flight so we're not allowed to stow our jackets in the overhead bin, remove them, and add her suitcase in their place....
That's never OK in any cabin.
JDB777 likes this.
Old May 27, 22, 9:27 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hertz President Circle, United Silver, and Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by JDB777 View Post
1) Wait 90 seconds
2) "Hi <FA Name> would you mind checking this bag for me? The bins are getting pretty full and I'm in no rush today."
Sorry, but I don't agree with this suggestion at all. While you may not agree with her on that move, checking her luggage without realizing what is in there, including possibly life saving medication because you are not happy with her move. You are also making the crew do unnecessary extra work to "look/search" for her missing luggage when indeed it was intentionally put off the plane.

I am sorry, but even as a joke, I don't agree, as I have read on here from a long time ago that somebody did just that.

In all my years on flyertalk, I have never asked this, but I hope the moderator would remove this post.

Lastly, while this may be seen as a stretch, it can be viewed as theft since you would be assuming somebody else's property as your very own when you claim that is your luggage and have it checked.
FreedomIsntFree likes this.
Old May 27, 22, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
So, you don't like a response and now you want to remove the response and censor the poster? More cancel culture......let the flow of free responses continue....
Old May 27, 22, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Were the Y bins full?
Was J boarded full?

I can't even begin to answer the question in the title without knowing the answer to both of those.
Old May 27, 22, 9:59 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hertz President Circle, United Silver, and Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by bescobar View Post
So, you don't like a response and now you want to remove the response and censor the poster? More cancel culture......let the flow of free responses continue....
Not the case. In all my years, I have found flyertalk to be very informative with very many people helping each other with great traveling advice.

I believe that there is no benefit to this suggestion other than to suggest to many others that it is OK to do something that seemingly is unethical---claiming that someone else's luggage is theirs and check it just to cause undo possible harm to the other party because they did not agree with how that person conducted themselves.

Then again, maybe I am in the minority here who thinks that such suggestion is fine. If that is the case, so be it.
Old May 27, 22, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Were the Y bins full?
Was J boarded full?

I can't even begin to answer the question in the title without knowing the answer to both of those.
I would only agree that those are important if the passenger didn't remove someone else's belongings without permission. Once she did that, these questions became moot.

Originally Posted by hoangb View Post
maybe I am in the minority here who thinks that such suggestion is fine.
I think you're in the minority who actually took the OP seriously.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 28, 22 at 12:19 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user

Search this Thread