FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Is it okay for economy passengers to stow their luggage in the premium cabin? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2080839-okay-economy-passengers-stow-their-luggage-premium-cabin.html)

p106_peppy May 27, 2022 12:57 pm

Is it okay for economy passengers to stow their luggage in the premium cabin?

While seated in J, during boarding some woman walked by and asked, referring to the overhead bin, "whose jackets are these?" And then proceeded to tell us that it's a full flight so we're not allowed to stow our jackets in the overhead bin, remove them, and add her suitcase in their place.... But then proceed to the economy cabin.

I'm not sure if this just socially kind of a dick move... Or if the FA should have been paying attention and stepped in.

Anyway, thoughts?

edmond00 May 27, 2022 1:08 pm

She's so rude, is your rights to put what ever you want at overhead bin, if cabin are full their luggage should be check-in at the gate.

YVR4Ever May 27, 2022 1:09 pm

If anything is going to be put in the Business Class bins by anyone other than a J passenger, it should be done/supervised by an FA. In this situation I would politely refuse to move my stuff and request they talk to the FA about their luggage. If the FA asks me to move my stuff, or moves it for me, that is fair ball, in my opinion. If it was a jacket, I would hope they put it in the wardrobe closet for me.

PUCCI GALORE May 27, 2022 3:49 pm

I’d involve a FA tout de suite. How dare she.

Allan38103 May 27, 2022 4:37 pm

Is it okay for economy passengers to stow their luggage in the premium cabin

You can do anything you want (short of violating the law) on any flight - as long as the airline/crew says it's OK.

JDB777 May 27, 2022 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by p106_peppy (Post 34285651)
While seated in J, during boarding some woman walked by and asked, referring to the overhead bin, "whose jackets are these?" And then proceeded to tell us that it's a full flight so we're not allowed to stow our jackets in the overhead bin, remove them, and add her suitcase in their place.... But then proceed to the economy cabin.

I'm not sure if this just socially kind of a dick move... Or if the FA should have been paying attention and stepped in.

Anyway, thoughts?

1) Wait 90 seconds
2) "Hi <FA Name> would you mind checking this bag for me? The bins are getting pretty full and I'm in no rush today."

Stranger May 27, 2022 5:27 pm

At the very least bad manners. I have seen quite a bit of this in the US, folks entering, putting their carryon in front and walking to the bag as a matter of routine. Not so much on AC. But yes, it happens. Some airlines including LH and I think SN have a plate on the front bins clearly stating that these are reserved for business class passengers.

mahasamatman May 27, 2022 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by JDB777 (Post 34286268)
"Hi <FA Name> would you mind checking this bag for me? The bins are getting pretty full and I'm in no rush today."

Or, "There's an unattended bag in the overhead." But that could delay the flight.

Lomapaseo May 27, 2022 8:11 pm

Tie a ribbon to it. They'll think it was somebody else's

mahasamatman May 27, 2022 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by p106_peppy (Post 34285651)
And then proceeded to tell us that it's a full flight so we're not allowed to stow our jackets in the overhead bin, remove them, and add her suitcase in their place....

That's never OK in any cabin.

hoangb May 27, 2022 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by JDB777 (Post 34286268)
1) Wait 90 seconds
2) "Hi <FA Name> would you mind checking this bag for me? The bins are getting pretty full and I'm in no rush today."

Sorry, but I don't agree with this suggestion at all. While you may not agree with her on that move, checking her luggage without realizing what is in there, including possibly life saving medication because you are not happy with her move. You are also making the crew do unnecessary extra work to "look/search" for her missing luggage when indeed it was intentionally put off the plane.

I am sorry, but even as a joke, I don't agree, as I have read on here from a long time ago that somebody did just that.

In all my years on flyertalk, I have never asked this, but I hope the moderator would remove this post.

Lastly, while this may be seen as a stretch, it can be viewed as theft since you would be assuming somebody else's property as your very own when you claim that is your luggage and have it checked.

bescobar May 27, 2022 9:53 pm

So, you don't like a response and now you want to remove the response and censor the poster? More cancel culture......let the flow of free responses continue....

canadiancow May 27, 2022 9:55 pm

Were the Y bins full?
Was J boarded full?

I can't even begin to answer the question in the title without knowing the answer to both of those.

hoangb May 27, 2022 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by bescobar (Post 34286709)
So, you don't like a response and now you want to remove the response and censor the poster? More cancel culture......let the flow of free responses continue....

Not the case. In all my years, I have found flyertalk to be very informative with very many people helping each other with great traveling advice.

I believe that there is no benefit to this suggestion other than to suggest to many others that it is OK to do something that seemingly is unethical---claiming that someone else's luggage is theirs and check it just to cause undo possible harm to the other party because they did not agree with how that person conducted themselves.

Then again, maybe I am in the minority here who thinks that such suggestion is fine. If that is the case, so be it.

mahasamatman May 27, 2022 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 34286711)
Were the Y bins full?
Was J boarded full?

I can't even begin to answer the question in the title without knowing the answer to both of those.

I would only agree that those are important if the passenger didn't remove someone else's belongings without permission. Once she did that, these questions became moot.

Originally Posted by hoangb (Post 34286716)
maybe I am in the minority here who thinks that such suggestion is fine.

I think you're in the minority who actually took the OP seriously.