Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Wife bumped from J class after online check in and boarding pass issued?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Wife bumped from J class after online check in and boarding pass issued?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They're not going to downgrade a XTR in paid J who hasn't checked in when there's a checked-in P eUpgrade. They can't look at whether you're checked in, because it would lead to all kinds of broken scenarios.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

The check-in counter and gate agent both said it was because we booked with points, which the Aeroplan rep said yesterday doesn't matter if it was paid or points, that it should not have happened. Seems what they say and what they do are slightly different based on other posts in this thread.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC SE
canadiancow Based on your fairly extensive knowledge of how all of this works, what would be your advice for doing all that's possible from a traveler's perspective to avoid having this happen?
Old May 24, 2022, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
advice for doing all that's possible from a traveler's perspective to avoid having this happen?
  1. Tell the interloper that it's his responsibility to take care of the kids since your wife was booted to steerage, or
  2. Become an AC employee.
canadiancow, ThePopes and Drob1 like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
  1. Become an AC employee.
If this was a deadheading pilot, almost certain this was policy. And yes surely Aeroplan tickets for pax with no status would be picked first fo downgrading.

If this was some other employee than the gate folks were in the wrong.

Inclined to believe it was the former case.
canopus27 likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Stranger
Aeroplan tickets for pax with no status would be picked first fo downgrading.
As per post #35, the OP has status.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
@canadiancow Based on your fairly extensive knowledge of how all of this works, what would be your advice for doing all that's possible from a traveler's perspective to avoid having this happen?
He answered this with the priority list. Have status. Pay higher fare.

Originally Posted by Drob1

The check-in counter and gate agent both said it was because we booked with points, which the Aeroplan rep said yesterday doesn't matter if it was paid or points, that it should not have happened. Seems what they say and what they do are slightly different based on other posts in this thread.
The GAs could have been lying, they could have been simplifying. Buying with points would surely have bought in the least expensive bucket. J cabin, but for sure not J fare basis. For "should not have happened", true. But was overbooked (which isn't necessarily oversold), and Transport Canada doesn't allow hotbunking, so something had to give.

Cheap tickets, low status. Not rocket surgery here to read the tea leaves.
​​​​​​​
Old May 25, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I would be inclined to agree with that, in the sense that you should have higher priority than any upgrades.

But:
1. Based on other experiences posted recently, it seems any fare basis with "AERO" is not given much credence
2. It's quite possible a 25K booked in J with points was the least "important" person in J

canadiancow Based on your fairly extensive knowledge of how all of this works, what would be your advice for doing all that's possible from a traveler's perspective to avoid having this happen?
I can't give you much advice. As an SMR who almost never books and upgrades Y, I'm always VERY high up any priority list, so it's not something I worry about.

Have a backup plan maybe? Do you want to split your party between cabins? Demand to be flown in your ticketed cabin on the next available flight/itinerary? The best advice for any adverse situation is to know what you want if you can't get what you booked.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The GAs could have been lying, they could have been simplifying. Buying with points would surely have bought in the least expensive bucket. J cabin, but for sure not J fare basis. For "should not have happened", true. But was overbooked (which isn't necessarily oversold), and Transport Canada doesn't allow hotbunking, so something had to give.

Cheap tickets, low status. Not rocket surgery here to read the tea leaves.
When I booked the last seat on DEL-YVR with points in December, it booked into full J, but the fare basis began with "I". That may have had to do with partners on the booking, or not.

I still struggle to see how "I" woudl be ranked below any eUp, unless there's (another) priority misconfiguration, this time with a fare ordering like JCDZPOEAYBMUHQVWSTLAKGIRNX instead of ...PIO... or something.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Commuting crew will should never result in a downgrade. It would only be deadheading pilots.
Fixed it for you, although normally correct. I suspect it indeed was a deadheading pilot.

Originally Posted by TomMM
You didn’t switch seats with her?
I'd have sent one of the kids to the back. :-)

1. The tickets were not upgrades and bought as J, 3 months prior to travel.
2. 25K status, like almost everyone else
3. Bought with points (375K for 4 return tickets.)
4. Checked in online 24 hours prior.

I was looking at the app to see how many people were checked in on the standby. Originally after I checked in, it said 4/16 in Business class and I slowly watched that go to 16/16 with no change to the standby list.

Interestingly enough, my wife was on the standby list in economy with a green check by her name after the seat swap, whatever that means.

If that is true that downgrades are automatic perhaps the computer algorithm chose her because her last name is different. Still shouldn't happen for a confirmed, checked in ticket on the same booking IMO.
Business class was fully booked prior to check-in. I suspect what happened in this case was that all 16 passengers were paid J, mostly booked through Air Canada Vacations, which sells J very inexpensively to "sun" destinations. If 12 of the 16 seats were revenue J tickets and 4 of the 16 were your family on AE reward points, one of you likely would have been low person on the totem pole. They would not separate a child, so one of the parents got the short straw.

Your wife should have been the first name to appear on the upgrade list, so if there had been a no-show she would have had priority over anybody trying to e-upgrade.

Anyway, sucks to be in your shoes but do write in to Air Canada and request refund of your points (you'll likely get back something like 30,000) and some sort of additional compensation (the infamous 15% discount coupon).
vernonc and canopus27 like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
So, not only commuting pilots are entitled to J seats but deadheading pilots are entitled to J as well?
Occurrences like the one described in this topic this are really decreasing the value of FF programs. What are FF points good for if not to book seats that otherwise would be prohibitively expensive? I'm not talking about flights to the Caribbean. There I can book a package with a J flight as I've done many times before. I'm talking about flights like the ones I have booked for the coming summer. TATL to Central-Eastern EU. If I'd book the tickets now, the price of our tickets would buy us a compact car. This is where being an FF really helps. But do I really have our nice lie flat J tickets? If I can really lose them on a whim, where is the value? And yes, being able to upgrade the work trips that are mandated to be in Y by company policy is nice. But wait, if I can lose that upgrade anytime, where is the value again?
As far as the other perks go, I don't know. The lounges are sort of nice but nothing special. Extra luggage? Company pays. Priority during IROPS? Who cares, I'm paid for the time spent traveling.
We really need another full service/member of an alliance airline here.
YYCCL3 and HSBC like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
So, not only commuting pilots are entitled to J seats but deadheading pilots are entitled to J as well?
Commuting, no. Only deadheading. Used to be only captains but that might have changed.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
Commuting, no. Only deadheading. Used to be only captains but that might have changed.
And this is why I believe the freighter aspect is behind a lot of the problems. If Air Canada have decided that they need/want to operate a one time freight run from (for example) Cancun to Calgary (because reason), then unlike a scheduled flight, the pilots required to operate the freight flight can't just operate the outbound flight to Cancun on the previous day. AC will have no option but to deadhead those pilots on a plane ... and if their contract says that they get to make that flight in J (as I think it does), and J is already booked full ... then someone is going to be unhappy.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by canopus27
And this is why I believe the freighter aspect is behind a lot of the problems. If Air Canada have decided that they need/want to operate a one time freight run from (for example) Cancun to Calgary (because reason), then unlike a scheduled flight, the pilots required to operate the freight flight can't just operate the outbound flight to Cancun on the previous day. AC will have no option but to deadhead those pilots on a plane ... and if their contract says that they get to make that flight in J (as I think it does), and J is already booked full ... then someone is going to be unhappy.
The passenger was bumped on the CUN - YVR leg. AC does not have a base in CUN. So it really wasn't a deadheading pilot.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
The passenger was bumped on the CUN - YVR leg. AC does not have a base in CUN. So it really wasn't a deadheading pilot.
These days AC is flying freight flights to all sorts of places that they don't have bases in.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by canopus27
These days AC is flying freight flights to all sorts of places that they don't have bases in.
If that's the business decision they're making, that's fine. OAL decide to overbook J from the outset.

How they handle it is another matter. Proactive communication and compensation would go a long way, vs expecting the passenger to spot a seeing a seat change on a BP and follow up themselves.
Drob1 likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Quail
Proactive communication and compensation would go a long way, vs expecting the passenger to spot a seeing a seat change on a BP and follow up themselves.
We agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.