Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Downgrade J to Y and major delay, compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*

Booked the lowest miles business class ticket on a flight US-YUL-Europe and got downgraded to Y in Montreal, they claimed equipment change but they flew the same plane as scheduled. To make matters worse, there was a +3 hour departure (and arrival) delay because of some mechanical issue they claim was safety related. I requested a refund of the miles and compensation of for the delay but all they offered was a $270 check for the downgrade + a couple thousand miles but no compensation for the delay. Am I out of luck or should I file a complaint with the CTA? This is really very disappointing and with the other stories of involuntary downgrades I'm going to have to reconsider booking J on AC.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Note that AC operates multiple versions of some aircraft (77W and 333, for example) with different numbers of J seats, which could explain your seat reallocation in spite of them operating the same aircraft type.

Good luck on getting compensation for the delay, if they put it down as safety related you'll have a tough time getting anywhere - especially if they can back that up as a reason for the aircraft switch. If you can post specifics someone with an ExpertFlyer subscription might be willing to took up remarks related to the delay.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by robbert
with the other stories of involuntary downgrades I'm going to have to reconsider booking J on AC.
This part confuses me. If you exclude the situations where someone booked PY and the aircraft was swapped to one without PY (which is a very fair argument, but not the issue at hand), I can count on my fingers how many IDG stories I've heard of on AC in the last decade. What other stories are you referring to?

Contrast this with UA (I'm not saying they're better or worse than average, because I don't know the average), where it happens enough that they need a dedicated thread that gets 100+ posts per year: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html
Old May 16, 2022, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I have ExpertFlyer but they don't provide any extra information, maybe because it's been more than 7 days. AC flies only one 330-300 with J so I doubt this was due to an equipment swap, more likely being the lowest ranked for bumping. Maybe someone with a full fare paid ticket rerouting or air marshall (do they even have those in Canada?). It was a last-minute change, still in J when boarding the flight to YUL. And searching in different places I did find some other stories like this but it's good to know that it's not a common occurrence. AC is a decent option for us going to Europe and this was a disappointing first time try again after many years on DL and AA.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AC flies only one 330-300 with J
???

AC's website lists both configurations. 32J and 27J.
Admiral Ackbar and YYC3722 like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
???

AC's website lists both configurations. 32J and 27J.
Interesting, I was looking at SeatGuru and they list Layout 2 with no J, just economy and premium economy. But I stand corrected!
Old May 16, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Interesting, I was looking at SeatGuru and they list Layout 2 with no J, just economy and premium economy. But I stand corrected!
Seat Guru is not reliable and often years out of date.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I can absolutely confirm AC operates A330-300s with two very different J cabin configurations, as I've had both within the last month.
YYC3722 and Seat19k like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
This is another example of you board you lose. If you are downgraded and board, you are most likely not going to be happy with the compensation offered for the downgrade. Demand to be put in J on the next flight, then seek compensation. Of course this won't help the OP.
hypertext likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
This is another example of you board you lose. If you are downgraded and board, you are most likely not going to be happy with the compensation offered for the downgrade. Demand to be put in J on the next flight, then seek compensation. Of course this won't help the OP.
We did consider that but this was a situation where the whole trip would have been moot with a 1 day delay.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: ba silver
OP is not entitled to compensation for the delay. However a refund of miles would apply.

Should have asked for rebooking on another flight as AC is usually quite good in downgrade front cabin overlooking situations.

Agents have told me that there are many things they can do, such as rebook on the next flight, via another hub or even on other airlines in some situations ( JV routes or codeshares as long as AC is the longest carrier).
Old May 18, 2022, 10:04 am

If you are a latitude fare upgraded to J can you ask for similar accommodations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.