Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are AC's numerous promos since 2020 creating too many elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are AC's numerous promos since 2020 creating too many elites?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by mugatu
Actually that is incorrect, as there are 2x 787-9 on the SFO-YYZ routes now, the difference is people are buying J. Take a look at J space from May 26th to 30th, where the upgrade window hasn't opened up yet. Most cabins are between J3-J6, and some are already at J0. There is more J inventory in May than there has been for the past 2 years on the SFO-YYZ routing. I was easily upgrading at T-14 on SFO-YYZ between Jan and April and that was either on the A220, A321 or 737-Max8. Right now I'm waitlisted for two flights on the 787 on the same routing when the inventory has doubled.
I gave up on the upgrade game this year. Two J flight passes, one Europe, one Big South. Paid J is so much easier.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by c224488
When the priority line is longer than the regular check-in. You get the drift...
How many counters were actually open.
I've been there with the line out the "door" of the priority area in the afternoon rush, and AC had one or two people working.
It wasnt the number of priority pax, it was the poor staffing that was the issue.

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I remember Ben Smith (remember him) saying to the SE group that AC won't upgrade SE to the J cabin when seats are available (AS UA does for their 1K) as he did not want to "cheapen the product". But we see AC employees fly in J (sometimes due to pilot and staff contacts) and many folks booked in Y as they are oversold and moved up instead of status folks.
That was the other Ben
"we are not a charity" and "cheapens the J product"
https://threadtripping.boardingarea....titude-battle/
Good read for those who think AC disdain for the customer is a new thing.

Last edited by rankourabu; May 12, 2022 at 5:26 pm
Old May 12, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, MB Titanium, National EE, UA Silver
Originally Posted by trek604
AP isn't just a FF program. If they are asking for 200K household they better have something to backup their product.
This is for the TD VIP Card. My partner got approved for the Amex Aeroplan Reserve (which has the exact same benefits as the TD VIP) with 1/3 of the 200k requirement.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
How many counters were actually open.
I've been there with the line out the "door" of the priority area in the afternoon rush, and AC had one or two people working.
It wasnt the number of priority pax, it was the poor staffing that was the issue.

That was the other Ben
"we are not a charity" and "elites cheapen the product"
I recall most of the counters were staffed. The worker manning the SE100K booth looked very bored.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
When the priority line is longer than the regular check-in. You get the drift...
Yeah, I get it. I do acknowledge that line is frequently long. I look at the people in it as I waddle my way slowly past them to the SE desk (or better yet the concierge office).

I know, I'm callous

And to cow's point from last night .... where there are stations which don't have an SE checkin, even the slowly waddling SE's have to stand in line.
c224488 likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I remember Ben Smith (remember him)
Obi-Ben? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...a long time.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:00 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
This is for the TD VIP Card. My partner got approved for the Amex Aeroplan Reserve (which has the exact same benefits as the TD VIP) with 1/3 of the 200k requirement.
Yeah no minimum income at all for Amex I don’t believe. From what I’ve read the CIBC/TD minimums are mostly BS. They were in response to the merchants being upset at the higher accept fees for premium cards when they don’t have a choice as to whether to take them or not (take all Visas or none at all). A way to appease them was for the banks to say they were really only giving the premium fee cards to high income individuals. I would bet they don’t even actually check. Amex is already a niche that a lot of places don’t accept so they don’t face the same problem.
c224488 likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I gave up on the upgrade game this year. Two J flight passes, one Europe, one Big South. Paid J is so much easier.
I agree. I used to never book J, but as I get older, I’m less willing to jump through hoops to sit up front. Latitude passes still seem to work well domestically, but it’s much harder to upgrade in advance internationally. I’ll likely buy a UK/France Business class pass instead of a Lat Europe pass for our next set of trips to London.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
My suggestion would be to impose some restrictions to limit "abuse" and make those of us earning status the real way feel special.

1) Restrict LAT upgrades on Aeroplan tickets made at time of booking to 35K and up, cash tickets can stay the same.
2) Cap these alternate status earning promotions at 75K (keeping SE special) or only allow people alternate paths to N-1 status level so 75K can only get 50K, 50K only 35K, and so on.
3) Some kind of priority line for the lounge or electronic waitlist that allows 50K and above to jump to the front of the line.
YULRvR, D582, Yul_voyager and 4 others like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
As someone who has spent many dollars chasing status doing mileage runs, I eventually learned that the elite status is only as valuable as your own personal value. I chased AA 100K status for 6 years and thought it was wonderful. I purchased about 30 round trips trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific in economy and 59 / 60 were upgraded to business class. The program was great, but American Airlines owed me nothing, they offered me perks, and I tried hard to earn them giving up my valuable time and money in the process. Then they merged, became a program thats rules didn't fit my cheap-o style (buy coach, but fly J) Point is, I don't begrudge them anything even when they were handing out status like candy. It is all PROMOTION - to get customers to spend money $$$.

In fact it is the new AC promotions that has finally made me start to look at Air Canada's elite program, and is shifting some of the thousands $$$$ to Air Canada.

You can never have too many elites. If your promotions are causing value to the company (Air Canada) and driving sales. That is good. When problems arise (priority lineups, lounge overcrowding, upgrades not clearing) to the point that it drives away customers, then you need to either as a company spend more money (more staff, lounges, larger J cabin VS economy) or loose those elites. They can do the math and see what it comes out to.

AC is in growth mode as the pandemic has really hurt sales. They have more product that they potentially can deliver but not enough customers yet. So one way to "spend" to fix that problem is promotions for elite status. So to answer the question in this thread. No Air Canada has not created too many elites .... at this time.
arf04 likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC 75k
While I am certain that someone did the projections of 3-6 month outcomes, I wonder if anyone bothered to do the 24 month analysis. Even top execs these days can be forced to show short term results, and 24 month outcomes are considered too long term. There are a bunch of veteran folks here who are upset about this, and others who are really happy. Before this Covid mess, they were (almost) all loyal AC FF. Remains to be seen who will still be in a couple of years.
Old May 13, 2022, 5:53 pm

At this rate, I'm pretty sure eUpgrades will soon be offered as a Credit Card benefit.
Old May 13, 2022, 6:02 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
While I am certain that someone did the projections of 3-6 month outcomes, I wonder if anyone bothered to do the 24 month analysis. Even top execs these days can be forced to show short term results, and 24 month outcomes are considered too long term. There are a bunch of veteran folks here who are upset about this, and others who are really happy. Before this Covid mess, they were (almost) all loyal AC FF. Remains to be seen who will still be in a couple of years.
Although I’ll preface this by saying that I am actually still quite happy with AC, for a lot of people there aren’t a lot of great alternatives. Everyone’s travel is different of course so no statement will be true across the board, but I suspect there are a lot who wouldn’t really see any true competition for their flying needs.

Domestic and some transborder travellers have Westjet for sure. But otherwise, unless you want to connect in the US, which I certainly don’t, there aren’t a plethora of other options. I already split a lot of my flying between AC and LH, but Miles and More is harder to get *G status than AC.

I would say with the addition of the 787’s if Westjet were to add more international destinations (that don’t leave from YYC) and they were to join an alliance it might give AC a run for its international money though.

While I have loyalty to AC, it’s pretty thin in reality. If WS were to join Oneworld or Skyteam and status match me, and they had good European connections with the relevant partner (be it LHR with BA if they went Oneworld or CDG and AMS with AF and KLM if they went Skyteam) I would seriously think about changing my loyalties.

Otherwise I’m probably sticking with AC for lack of a better option for my flying needs. Lufthansa generally serves all the markets I work in, so AC makes sense to get me to FRA (or LH booked on 014 stock) and then onwards from there. If my flying begins to increase over time I’d look at moving over to Miles and More but for now getting *G at 50K keeps me pretty happy to stick with AC.
Old May 13, 2022, 6:06 pm
YXU

Programs: AC 50K, Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA Silver
At this rate, I'm pretty sure eUpgrades will soon be offered as a Credit Card benefit.
They already were as part of Chase's first welcome bonus (only 10 though, for waitlist)
Old May 13, 2022, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by YXU
They already were as part of Chase's first welcome bonus (only 10 though, for waitlist)
Isn't it 25 eups now? Since you get automatic 25K status. Or did they strip away the eupgrades for those who earned 25K via Chase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.