Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are AC's numerous promos since 2020 creating too many elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are AC's numerous promos since 2020 creating too many elites?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:01 pm

Was international for me YUL-SJO now obviously flights get delayed and im at the gate waiting!
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Ah, sorry to hear that as well...

(At least no one's complained about overcrowding in the Signature Suites as a result of the increase in elites!)
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE100k
I'm a walking example of how lounge overcrowding can be a catalyst for jumping ship. Until 5 years ago or so I was a loyal and longstanding BA Gold (most of my flying was and still is YYZ/LHR), and the huge BA lounge downgrade in YYZ (shut their own lounge and contracted Plaza Premium) and consequential lounge overcrowding was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me try out AC (which I had previously avoided like the plague due to some epically poor experiences in the 2000s). I've been AC SE ever since and BA has lost almost all of my business. Switching due to lounge overcrowding sounds petty, but travelling for work sucks and every incremental downgrade in the experience is noticed by those of us who travel regularly and adds up. In the end the lounge situation was just one factor in my decision to switch, but if it wasn't for the lounge overcrowding at BA I wouldn't have even given AC a chance.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Anecdotally, AC34 today has 3 x SMR + 3(?) SEs in the J cabin based on a glance at the meal selection list in the galley.

I wouldn't have expected such a large number of SEs coming back from Australia in the winter, especially with AC36 and AC38 running.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
No one is complaining because one has to buy a business class fare JDCPZ or a Flexible Business Class ticket in order to enter the SS.

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Ah, sorry to hear that as well...

(At least no one's complained about overcrowding in the Signature Suites as a result of the increase in elites!)
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Anecdotally, AC34 today has 3 x SMR + 3(?) SEs in the J cabin based on a glance at the meal selection list in the galley.

I wouldn't have expected such a large number of SEs coming back from Australia in the winter, especially with AC36 and AC38 running.
SMR = Special Meal Request?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sameruval
SMR = Special Meal Request?
S = Super Elite
M = Million Miler
R = premium CC holder
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:03 pm
YXU

Programs: AC 50K, Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA Silver
I would like to add: AC Expects a loss in (Super) Elites in the next few years. I know because many of my SE coworkers that regularly spent $30k+/year on Air Canada have 0 business travel planned as companies shift to a virtual environment. None of my clients want to pay for someone to travel when they can meet over Zoom.
I know some of you will disagree with my sentiment, but I would like to mention that this is a frequent flyer forum and many of us (including myself) make up that travel through personal trips, but the same is not true for many others.

In the end, I think AC is trying to entice loyalty and make it seem "easier" to retain status so that more business travellers try to fly more for leisure (or do more MR's or whatever),
karachi, unclepants and Wings100 like this.

Last edited by YXU; Aug 27, 2022 at 8:19 pm
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by YXU
I would like to add: AC Expects a loss in (Super) Elites in the next few years. I know because many of my SE coworkers that regularly spent $30k+/year on Air Canada have 0 business travel planned as companies shift to a virtual environment. None of my clients want to pay for someone to travel when they can meet over Zoom.
I know some of you will disagree with my sentiment, but I would like to mention that this is a frequent flyer forum and so many of (including myself) make up that travel through personal trips, but the same is not true for many others.

In the end, I think AC is trying to entice loyalty and make it seem "easier" to retain status so that more business travellers try to fly more for leisure (or do more MR's or whatever),
Totally agree and similar observations. These new elites won’t travel much anyways so they won’t be around all year.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bakersdozen
Totally agree and similar observations. These new elites won’t travel much anyways so they won’t be around all year.
I used to dislike those dreary mid-winter flights with weather and de-icing delays but now I am looking forward to them in the hopes of less elites.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Thanks for the explanation of the SMR. On a recent flight home from Vancouver to Toronto, the in charge had no clue what that meant and asked me why Air Canada would put something like that next to my name. He said that he could tell I was super elite but did not know what the M & R stand for
Old Aug 28, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Priority checkin line this afternoon snakes out the glassed off area around the corner. 3 agents working.
After 2 mins of not moving went to regular checkin kiosks and bag drop. No wait, I guess since everyone is elite nowadays.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
SMR = Which credit card is accepted as "PREMIUM" ?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
SMR = Which credit card is accepted as "PREMIUM" ?
The expensive ones: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...t-cards.html#/
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Priority checkin line this afternoon snakes out the glassed off area around the corner. 3 agents working.
After 2 mins of not moving went to regular checkin kiosks and bag drop. No wait, I guess since everyone is elite nowadays.
which airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.