Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Using miles and cash is better than only using miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I've come across a business class itinerary that costs roughly $2700 one way. With miles, it can be 79000 miles or 60000 miles + $300. I did some calculation, it seems choosing the mile + cash option makes each mile worth 5 cents while the other option means each mile is worth 3 cents. Should I always choose mile + cash option in this case?
Old May 11, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: AC 75K
It all depends on your finances, preferences, etc. Having left over points can mean you can perhaps use them towards a future travel ticket. For 19K points you are saving $300. So decide which one you value more.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:43 am

We always do. I think about how much we would need to spend to get the difference in points needed. In your case, the 19 000 extra points necessary to pay for the entire flight, would mean that you would have to spend $19 000 to earn those points vs fewer points plus $300.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
I was looking at one yesterday where the points cost for no co-pay toward the real cost was only 1c/mile. Would have done that if I had proceeded with the booking)
Old May 12, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
I was looking at one yesterday where the points cost for no co-pay toward the real cost was only 1c/mile. Would have done that if I had proceeded with the booking)
Pretty sure the 1 cent/mile value is standard across the board; that is what I have consistently observed. For many of us that means better paying than using miles. But at the end of the day, depends upon how you value your miles. With no status, answer might differ.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:25 pm

The standard price of that fare is 74900ap +$275.76
If you want to use all miles you get a 1cpp value
If you want to you can buy points off of Aircanada for 1.9cpp
Many would tell you not to redeem at 1cpp as aeroplan are worth more and also paying the tax with certain credit cards gives you trip cancelation coverage insurance
If you are not flush with points you may want to buy at 1.9cpp when doing the redemption. What im doing is making many skeptical bookings using cash+miles options in Business Flexible and canceling/ rebuying if dynamic rates go down or a better redemption comes up. I have 3 outbound and 1inbound options for my next trip and still have points left over if better options come up to quickly book

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.