Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC

Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC

Old May 10, 22, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
No it will not.

This extension lets:
1. The non-flying SE nominate someone else to use all their eUps (which realistically will get them into the lounge)
2. The SE to create a new 50K, who can use eUps and enter the lounge
3. Both The SE and 50K get MLL passes
4. The SE definitely gets status passes, the 50K might

All 4 of those are things that will increase lounge use, and would not have happened if they had not run THIS promotion.
You're assuming all SE's (+ 75K's, + 50K's) use all those perks.
I have no eUp nominee and certainly have unused status passes + lounge passes at the end of the year.
Perhaps I'm the exception and most do gift everything.
I just don't think the sky is falling and am not so sure it's going to be that much worse with this promo added.
Old May 10, 22, 2:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE (Almost Million Miler), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
Just to clarify.
As a 50KMM there is no way to reach a higher status through this promotion?
It doesn't look like it. I was just talking to my wife about this. We are retiring next year and will be million milers. As I will be SE when I retire, and If they keep this promotion up I could be a SE MM for a very long time with very little flying. Luck of the draw I guess.
Old May 10, 22, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by psiachp View Post
Any ideas whether one can spend the $30K to maintain say 75K status, and then get a status bump to SE by spending $50K on the chase card?

you can actually spend $30k and get SE status with the promo. Just make sure the statement lines of your aeroplan visa indicate "air canada" and SE is yours for the taking.
Adam Smith and asovse1 like this.
Old May 10, 22, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC75K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
you can actually spend $30k and get SE status with the promo. Just make sure the statement lines of your aeroplan visa indicate "air canada" and SE is yours for the taking.
You need to spend 50k USD on the Chase card for a status bump not 30k
Old May 10, 22, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who doesn't accumulate 30,000 points on CCs? This is just yet another status rollover from last year.

In addition to all these extra credits, also with the same purpose... So now I already requalify on two different criteria...

Point being that the program, status etc. is actually a profit center for AC nowadays. Getting people to buy more expensive fares and/or pay extra for upgrades. Travel more to achieve/retain status..

So they need to keep their number of status flyers. Actually, do more than keep the numbers, given that many folks with status have not gone back to travelling as yet.

Devaluing status? Sure. But then there is still the MM, or better MM+, which is getting ever more significant.
unclepants likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles View Post
You need to spend 50k USD on the Chase card for a status bump not 30k
yes I understand that but what I am saying is if you spend $30k on air canada flights, you more than likely will have se status.
Old May 10, 22, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC SE 100, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ac/elite View Post
Unless I'm misreading something, this promo itself won't create additional SE members. Just will maintain the same as this year plus anyone else who actually earns it the old fashioned way.

Agreed this is more of "matching" your current status for next year. I think it is a great promo considering how important AP partnership with the credit card company's are. Also it still allows/creates the motivation to exceed your current status by actually flying and earning status the hard way...
Old May 10, 22, 3:55 pm

Must get to the next level....

talkeryxu likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 4:05 pm

Programs: Altitude E75K , Gold Marriott
The goal of this for AC is to keep people spending money on their premium AC CC and renew them for next year. Its a win win for AC

Im also happy because I dont need to chase SQMs and can burn some points. I was tracking to hit 70K and was barely going to make 75K. Ive moved all my CC spending to AC already. This increases loyalty. Sure I can move CC spend elsewhere or book flights with others but why bother. Also excited to burn points and priority rewards for my family and I.
Old May 10, 22, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC SE 100, Bonvoy Platinum
No it will not.

This extension lets:
1. The non-flying SE nominate someone else to use all their eUps (which realistically will get them into the lounge)

All 4 of those are things that will increase lounge use, and would not have happened if they had not run THIS promotion.
Agree on all of the above, but it seems like a number of people are concerned about MLL being more crowded going forward, which they will be. But the MLL experience since COVID has really taken a nose dive and I actually skip the lounge most of the time due to poor food options and the fact that they are long overdue for a reno or significant updates....

AMEX Centurion lounges are much better and AC should consider partnering with them for all of the SE out there and consider incenting AMEX to open a few Centurion lounges in Canada (YYZ, YUL, YVR) would be a good start
Old May 10, 22, 4:11 pm

Programs: Who needs status when you have credit card?
This is why MLLs are becoming zoos and Zone 2 boarding lines are longer than 3-5. Aeroplan is not really a FF program any more. Hopefully they revert back to flying only to earn status when this pandemic craziness subsides.
Old May 10, 22, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
This would have been really useful information to have a couple of months ago. This feels borderline bad faith after rolling out the double SQx promo, knowing it would be their most loyal customers that took to the skies on that one.
Old May 10, 22, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, WS Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
In other words, those of us who actually flew to requalify basically get nothing from this promo.
If you as a frequent flyer nominated someone for status, your nominee, assuming sufficient spend, will not need to be renominated next year, freeing you to either nominate someone else (as cow illustrated) or to make another choice.

No it will not.

This extension lets:

In theory (and to a certain extent in fact) this is true but needs to be tempered by this:
Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
I have no eUp nominee and certainly have unused status passes + lounge passes at the end of the year.
I just don't think the sky is falling and am not so sure it's going to be that much worse with this promo added.
I would venture to guess that for the vast majority of status holders the situation is more akin to what CanadianMike describes than canadiancow 's doomsday scenario.
Old May 10, 22, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
As a humble <MM who still actually flies, I encourage all SE *MMs to sit on the couch and qualify for SE this way forever for the rest of the year.

Please and thank you.
WaytoomuchEurope and fbrdky like this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; May 10, 22 at 4:59 pm Reason: Forever is a long time.
Old May 10, 22, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
Just to clarify.
As a 50KMM there is no way to reach a higher status through this promotion?
No.

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
Hell, I even wish there was a way for AC to give extra rewards to people like Cow and Herpa and Expert and many others who earn it out of their own pockets.
Selfishly, sure, why not. But no, I don't really think they should (or could) attempt to do something like that.

Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
I was disputing the fact that this will result in no more lounge use. Not every perk will get used, but some will.

I don't think "this" promotion is making the sky fall. I think the ceiling is cracking, and this is just adding more weight.

I'm SE MM, so the upgrade side of things doesn't worry me. But lineups to get in the MLL are unacceptable, and everything like this is just going to make the problem worse.

Search this Thread