Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC

Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC

Old May 10, 22, 12:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE (Almost Million Miler), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
This is great for me. Was having trouble getting to the 20K spend this year. Now I'm already SE for next year as I've already spent more than 30K.

I like that you only get to maintain the status you currently have. So no artificial bump up to SE for people who rarely fly. Hope they do it again next year as I am retiring and won't fly as much. But I will spend 30K a year easily.
allbrosca likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Well, I'll be happy if I organically spend enough to keep my SE level into '23. I'll weakly offer that I did originally earn it through flying, and it continues to be hard or impossible to earn any other (non-continuation-because COVID) ways.

Flying even for a few months on OPM, presuming I don't get fired for not using the corporate card, it shouldn't be hard to get the spend... Its the 3pts/$ multiplier on AC spend on the Amex which is really powerful. I'll have to manufacture some spend, somehow.
Old May 10, 22, 12:47 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Thrilled with this, just got the green light for a return to business travel and was worried about loosing SE, now I know I'm good through 2023.
pprrff likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE
This is huge for me... Not back to traveling enough yet to get to SE again, and was concerned I was barely going to make 50k. That said, I've been SE since 2015, so this is a nice additional extension.

Yes, this also will help AC. Without SE, I would be much, much more inclined to fly with others - especially since my routes have changed significantly since the pandemic.
pprrff likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FlY2XS View Post
I think you missed my point. To use those perks they actually have to FLY.
No they do not. This lets a non-flying SE mint another 50K next year, and get 4 MLL passes next year, and get 2 status passes next year.

The SE doesn't have to fly to use eUps, period. They can nominate someone. The SE doesn't have to fly for the 50K to use eUps or access the lounge.

And the SE certainly doesn't have to fly for their status pass or MLL pass recipients to use the lounge.
Old May 10, 22, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
If you earned SE in 2019, you got to:
1. Keep SE through 2023 without flying any more
2. Gift someone 50K 2019-2023
3. Gift someone 50K 2020-2023
4. Gift someone 50K 2021-2023
5. Gift someone 50K 2022-2023
6. Gift someone 50K 2023-2023

7. Gift 4 MLL passes in 2019
8. Gift 4 MLL passes in 2020
9. Gift 4 MLL passes in 2021
10. Gift 4 MLL passes in 2022
11. Gift 4 MLL passes in 2023

12. Gift 4 status passes in 2021
13. Gift 2 status passes in 2022
14. Gift 2 status passes in 2023

(I'm going to only talk about 2023 now)
15. The __5__ minted 50Ks can gift __15__ MLL passes in 2023
16. The __5__ minted 50Ks can gift up to (it's a select benefit) __10__ status passes in 2023

So yes, "they" can consume eUps, and yes, they can CERTAINLY fill up the lounges, even if they never fly.
And the one year, if you earned a status, you got to gift that too!
Old May 10, 22, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE 100K
I know this is good for a lot of people but as someone who actually flew those miles, I'm honestly kind of pissed off. Cow's "how to access and gift status" list above is absolutely bonkers and is why the MLLs are just loaded up.

Blech.
Old May 10, 22, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by streetcircusdan View Post
I know this is good for a lot of people but as someone who actually flew those miles, I'm honestly kind of pissed off. Cow's "how to access and gift status" list above is absolutely bonkers and is why the MLLs are just loaded up.

Blech.
Same, I always been proud to reach 100K by actually flying
SearsTower likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 1:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75k, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Platinum
I'll admit I'm psyched about this to extend my 75k, but that's because I can't leave the US because of some immigration stuff right now. I've gotten a bunch of segments already this year, but was worried I wouldn't be able to go to Canada to get my spend. I do all my international travel via Air Canada and my travel home, generally, but I was starting to regret not crediting my United flights so far this year to MileagePlus. I already have 23k points on my Chase card so guess I'm good to go.
chriscol1 likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC
No they do not. This lets a non-flying SE mint another 50K next year, and get 4 MLL passes next year, and get 2 status passes next year.

The SE doesn't have to fly to use eUps, period. They can nominate someone. The SE doesn't have to fly for the 50K to use eUps or access the lounge.

And the SE certainly doesn't have to fly for their status pass or MLL pass recipients to use the lounge.
I get that - we were talking of different people. See my edit above.
My second original point had been that the cascade of folks with access that you subsequently enumerated wasn't caused by this new promo rather by all the others that have gone before. It will just mean 2023 MLL volumes will be the same as 2022 which I agree will not be a good thing if flight volumes keep rising.
Old May 10, 22, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I was looking for some semblance of normality in 2023, and a full return in 2024.

This is just further screwing with 2023.

I have never had to wait in line for an MLL pre-COVID. I don't even know if I'd ever heard of that happening pre-COVID. Now it's a common occurrence.
I think, generally speaking "lineups" "travel" and "post-covid" are to be expected everywhere

Example, STL budget fastbreak/avis preferred last night. Only took me 1 hour to get my car (not the regular line...the FASTBREAK one)
unclepants likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FlY2XS View Post
It will just mean 2023 MLL volumes will be the same as 2022
No it will not.

This extension lets:
1. The non-flying SE nominate someone else to use all their eUps (which realistically will get them into the lounge)
2. The SE to create a new 50K, who can use eUps and enter the lounge
3. Both The SE and 50K get MLL passes
4. The SE definitely gets status passes, the 50K might

All 4 of those are things that will increase lounge use, and would not have happened if they had not run THIS promotion.
Old May 10, 22, 1:57 pm

Just to clarify.
As a 50KMM there is no way to reach a higher status through this promotion?
Old May 10, 22, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by User8181416 View Post
I'm not surprised by the promo, I'm surprised by the low point requirement. Normally is 100,000 points to get 25K. Now it's 30,000 points to get 75K!

How? SE is specifically excluded from this promo.
How? I got this. And spent $24,000 on a Europe x 2 J flight pass and an $8,000 south biz pass, so I guess I'm good for the year:

The key to maintaining status is already in your wallet

Lets make it easy. Earn 30,000 points from purchases with your Aeroplan credit card through November 30, 2022, and youll secure your Aeroplan Super Elite Status through 20231.
Old May 10, 22, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Ive benefited from some of the promos (specifically being able to keep 2021 status without flying much in 2020 and the double promo this year) so I guess I cant complain, but thats my gut reaction. SE felt WAY more valuable in 2018 and 2019 than it does this year or will next year.

The promo this year helped me secure SE earlier than usual and has me thinking about going for 250k. I would have qualified without the promo anyway, but its nice to have it in my pocket already.

There are many of us here that dont need any of the card perks or rollovers or incentives or whatever. We just simply fly 100k+ and spend $20k plus. I wish AC would recognize the difference between loyal customers and people that have high annual fees on a credit card. Hell, I even wish there was a way for AC to give extra rewards to people like Cow and Herpa and Expert and many others who earn it out of their own pockets.
HerpaYvr, ffsim, Bohemian1 and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread