Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC

Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC

Old May 10, 22, 11:47 am

Programs: AC 75K and also 25K on account I don’t use
Originally Posted by psiachp View Post
Any ideas whether one can spend the $30K to maintain say 75K status, and then get a status bump to SE by spending $50K on the chase card?

I don't see why not. The extensions will be doled out proactively starting in July, so if you hit status extension (~$25-$30k) in the summer, get the extension, then $50k boost later in the year, it sounds like it would work as intended...
Old May 10, 22, 11:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post

I have never had to wait in line for an MLL pre-COVID. I don't even know if I'd ever heard of that happening pre-COVID. Now it's a common occurrence.
But isn't that more due to the fact that everyone and their dog has access through their credit card now?

Originally Posted by User8181416 View Post
How? SE is specifically excluded from this promo.
No it isn't. Where did you get that idea?
daltimas and canadiancow like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 10, 22 at 12:13 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old May 10, 22, 11:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by jcarberry View Post
New announcement today for an offer to extend your existing status through December 31, 2023 by earning 30,000 points on the card. Evergreen bonus spend (e.g. 3x on groceries) counts, although limited time bonuses (e.g. 10x on travel and dining) don't.

Reading the T&Cs it doesn't look like they distinguish between status earned by flying, status extended from previous years, or status earned through status matching. I earned 75K by matching from Southwest companion pass, so this is a tempting way to get another 55 eUps for next year if the promo extends to everyone with status.

I wonder if I could double dip this with the $50,000 Level Up offer to get SE for next year...?
Should work (there's nothing in T&C that restricts it). I wrote to AE loyalty to double check - will update (if and) when I hear back from them
Old May 10, 22, 11:58 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
How? SE is specifically excluded from this promo.
No, it's specifically included, per the T&C

"Members who are Primary Cardholders of an eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card and hold Aeroplan Super Elite Status when they meet the Eligible Earn will have their Aeroplan Super Elite Status extended through December 31, 2023."
YWG-RO, unclepants, ffsim and 4 others like this.
Old May 10, 22, 11:59 am

Programs: AC
I'm not surprised by the promo, I'm surprised by the low point requirement. Normally is 100,000 points to get 25K. Now it's 30,000 points to get 75K!
No, it is 30k points to KEEP 75K which is only important if you are a 75K who doesn't actually fly anymore. I know they exist, but cant see there being too many of those.
I seem to be interpreting it different than others. I can see a number of lower tier elites from this that otherwise were losing status Dec 31, but folks had to have qualified previously by some means and that would have required loyalty on their part (or their sponsor). If you didn't already have status, this isn't giving it too you, merely extending it. If the complaint is that those people don't actually fly, well don't worry, they won't be filling up lounges or competing for eUps will they?
They already had the promos for people who actually fly and that has seen many already secure same or better status for '23 so this won't affect anything there. The double promos are much more of an existential threat to the complaints many have made upthread.
The concept of promoting credit cards over flying seems counterintuitive, but maybe the CC has a bigger impact on AC bottom line than I thought.
User8181416 likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 12:02 pm

I'd like to know, but I can't find info on this: if you don't quite meet re-qualification by flying for status level X, but you do re-qualify for X from this promotion, do you still get to carry over SQM (via the CC) for the difference between the SQM you got and the status you had "qualified" for through flying (level X-1)? I would hope it's not nothing...

One would be an incentive to keep flying on cash tickets. The other would put me back into point burning mode.
Old May 10, 22, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC 75K and also 25K on account I don’t use
Originally Posted by FlY2XS View Post
The concept of promoting credit cards over flying seems counterintuitive, but maybe the CC has a bigger impact on AC bottom line than I thought.
Aeroplan is co-owned by some financial institutions, they're probably really eager for their turn to offer a promotion that encourages revenue by cc spend
daltimas likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
If the complaint is that those people don't actually fly, well don't worry, they won't be filling up lounges or competing for eUps will they?
If you earned SE in 2019, you got to:
1. Keep SE through 2023 without flying any more
2. Gift someone 50K 2019-2023
3. Gift someone 50K 2020-2023
4. Gift someone 50K 2021-2023
5. Gift someone 50K 2022-2023
6. Gift someone 50K 2023-2023

7. Gift 4 MLL passes in 2019
8. Gift 4 MLL passes in 2020
9. Gift 4 MLL passes in 2021
10. Gift 4 MLL passes in 2022
11. Gift 4 MLL passes in 2023

12. Gift 4 status passes in 2021
13. Gift 2 status passes in 2022
14. Gift 2 status passes in 2023

(I'm going to only talk about 2023 now)
15. The __5__ minted 50Ks can gift __15__ MLL passes in 2023
16. The __5__ minted 50Ks can gift up to (it's a select benefit) __10__ status passes in 2023

So yes, "they" can consume eUps, and yes, they can CERTAINLY fill up the lounges, even if they never fly.

Originally Posted by ac/elite View Post
No it isn't. Where did you get that idea?
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
No, it's specifically included, per the T&C

"Members who are Primary Cardholders of an eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card and hold Aeroplan Super Elite Status when they meet the Eligible Earn will have their Aeroplan Super Elite Status extended through December 31, 2023."
Apologies I must be hallucinating, I swear the original banner I saw when I loaded the AC page said up to 75K.

Yep, crazy promo.

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE SE100K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Sounds almost too good to be true. All my long haul trips are not happening this year so there is no way I would requalify for SE, but this will make it easy. I guess I'm in favour, but might have felt differently if I had made the trips!
Old May 10, 22, 12:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, AA ExecPlat
No, it is 30k points to KEEP 75K which is only important if you are a 75K who doesn't actually fly anymore. I know they exist, but cant see there being too many of those.
I seem to be interpreting it different than others. I can see a number of lower tier elites from this that otherwise were losing status Dec 31, but folks had to have qualified previously by some means and that would have required loyalty on their part (or their sponsor). If you didn't already have status, this isn't giving it too you, merely extending it. If the complaint is that those people don't actually fly, well don't worry, they won't be filling up lounges or competing for eUps will they?
They already had the promos for people who actually fly and that has seen many already secure same or better status for '23 so this won't affect anything there. The double promos are much more of an existential threat to the complaints many have made upthread.
The only way I can convince myself why they did this is I just don't see how US based flyers can easily get to high status just on flying when SQD needs AC 014 tickets which usually need to have a Canadian segment or AC operated (which also would touch Canada).
Old May 10, 22, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by psiachp View Post
The only way I can convince myself why they did this is I just don't see how US based flyers can easily get to high status just on flying when SQD needs AC 014 tickets which usually need to have a Canadian segment or AC operated (which also would touch Canada).
1. It's easy
2. Someone who holds AC status and "never" flies AC costs them a lot of money, and they get nothing out of it. That's exactly the type of flyer they want to get rid of.
Old May 10, 22, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Other bonuses aside, my incentive for flying this year should not have been to re-qualify for SE, it should be to earn a banked year of SE and/or get closer to xMM.

Otherwise I could just spend my way to SE on the ground and/or spend money with other carriers with the same net effect.

I'm glad that they explained the rules for this new game almost halfway through the year.
D582, canopus27, YYC3722 and 1 others like this.
Old May 10, 22, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post

So yes, "they" can consume eUps, and yes, they can CERTAINLY fill up the lounges, even if they never fly.
I think you missed my point. To use those perks they actually have to FLY. How do I use an eUP or entry to the lounge without a ticket?
EDIT: Now I see we are talking at cross purposes. You meant that non flying high level elites could drop other flyers into the queue. Agreed.
Your description and math is spot on, but that wasnt caused by this new promo. As I said, the previous programs have had the impact on MLL lines, eUps etc. This one had nothing to do with that. I meant that folks who don't fly and keep a low status with their CC won't add up to much.
Although it will mean another year of the same AC business as (un)usual and I presume you wanted to see some attrition which I wont argue.

Last edited by FlY2XS; May 10, 22 at 1:20 pm
Old May 10, 22, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by asovse1 View Post
I don't see why not. The extensions will be doled out proactively starting in July, so if you hit status extension (~$25-$30k) in the summer, get the extension, then $50k boost later in the year, it sounds like it would work as intended...
It's a feature, not a bug.

The Aeroplan executives confirmed on the Points Miles and Bling Chat that the 50K status boost would be one level up no matter how the status was earned in the prior calendar year.

Summary of Points Miles and Bling chat with Mark Nasr & Scott O'Leary, 2022-04-23

Search this Thread