FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2078828-aeroplan-status-extension-2023-through-co-branded-cc.html)

ilneigetu May 10, 2022 10:44 am

mileage rollover

This is a very generous offer
Just a thought; the actual mileage earned for those of us who reach the 30000 spend should rollover to 2023
Im at 50K in flights and have spent the 30K so little incentive to keep flying with AC... unless price etc.. lines up

HerpaYvr May 10, 2022 10:54 am

WAIT! What about those of us who have flown and paid the $20K to Air Canada, earning the traditional way of achieving status? So can I bank this year's hard work and just spend $30K.

Will everyone be special next year, so we are all SE. like in school now, everyone gets a participation ribbon?

This is great news for many and great for them, but I like to know the rules of the game before I plan my strategic flying plan.

canadiancow May 10, 2022 11:12 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 34237427)
That's how I feel too. A lot of people spent a lot of money to achieve status through other promotions. Now many will be getting it for spending they'd have done otherwise. I now have very little incentive to fly AC through the rest of the year (beyond working my way toward a million miles and the other minimal perks that come with it).

And what about people who spent a lot of money to achieve status through actual flying, without needing any promotions?[/b]

yvr76 May 10, 2022 11:13 am

Definitely sucks for those of us reaching status properly if we can't roll anything over, albeit there have been a lot of double SQM/SQD promos this year.

YVR4Ever May 10, 2022 11:14 am

I totally get how this dilutes the value of actually earning SQM (or SQS) and SQD, but in Air Canada's partial defence, they have just finished a promo that allowed frequent flyers to double up on those.

The real downside of all these promos, which has been much discussed, will be the impact on lounge use and eupgrades, which hopefully Air Canada is keeping an eye on and has plans to mitigate.

trek604 May 10, 2022 11:15 am

this is awesomely generous. Especially this part -

If you are the primary cardholder of more than one eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card, the Eligible Earn can be achieved through points earned made across all your eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Cards.

I have TD VIP and Amex AP Reserve. 30K points will be pretty easy to hit...

edit. lol I'm already there.

Too bad I'm almost at requal based on SQS lol...

ac/elite May 10, 2022 11:23 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr (Post 34237911)

Will everyone be special next year, so we are all SE. like in school now, everyone gets a participation ribbon?

Unless I'm misreading something, this promo itself won't create additional SE members. Just will maintain the same as this year plus anyone else who actually earns it the old fashioned way.

TheCanuckian May 10, 2022 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ac/elite (Post 34237987)
Unless I'm misreading something, this promo itself won't create additional SE members. Just will maintain the same as this year plus anyone else who actually earns it the old fashioned way.

It may push some who have 2022 SE status into 2023—people who wouldn't have done the flying this year, but who can do the credit card spend. I'm sure there were quite a few who were going to lose it otherwise. So it won't create any, but it will preserve some.

taupo May 10, 2022 11:28 am

Just received the email and popped a blood vessel for actual E50's out there.
The family has made approximately 25 RT AC flights over the past six months, all using AP, zero revenue flights.
I have unearned E50 through TD IP Visa, spouse and daughter (who takes most of the flights) have supplementary cards ergo E35 that gives them Zone 2 for bin space and MLL access.
All the while the bum in seat E25's, 35's and 50's compete with them for perks.

I was considering some revenue flights (Europe) on AC to maintain the E50 but they have now desensitized me as the perks are locked in for the all the short haul flights thanks to their absurd offer and I am a free agent for the business class flights.

User8181416 May 10, 2022 11:29 am

I'm not surprised by the promo, I'm surprised by the low point requirement. Normally is 100,000 points to get 25K. Now it's 30,000 points to get 75K!

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 34237998)
It may push some who have 2022 SE status into 2023—people who wouldn't have done the flying this year, but who can do the credit card spend. I'm sure there were quite a few who were going to lose it otherwise. So it won't create any, but it will preserve some.

How? SE is specifically excluded from this promo.
Sorry, ignore all this. I was looking at something else.

trek604 May 10, 2022 11:32 am

It will also preserve the folks boosted from the lower tier status last year. Like myself, I usually requal at 50K every year based on SQS. It's been nice to have 75K.

Argonaut1000 May 10, 2022 11:34 am

Can we assume that any SQD that was earned this year is carried over to next year ?

canadiancow May 10, 2022 11:36 am

Originally Posted by ac/elite (Post 34237987)

I was looking for some semblance of normality in 2023, and a full return in 2024.

This is just further screwing with 2023.

I have never had to wait in line for an MLL pre-COVID. I don't even know if I'd ever heard of that happening pre-COVID. Now it's a common occurrence.

psiachp May 10, 2022 11:40 am

Any ideas whether one can spend the $30K to maintain say 75K status, and then get a status bump to SE by spending $50K on the chase card?

jcarberry May 10, 2022 11:42 am

Reading the T&Cs it doesn't look like they distinguish between status earned by flying, status extended from previous years, or status earned through status matching. I earned 75K by matching from Southwest companion pass, so this is a tempting way to get another 55 eUps for next year if the promo extends to everyone with status.

I wonder if I could double dip this with the $50,000 Level Up offer to get SE for next year...?