Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
I need help. I am a S100K member, and have the AMEX Aeroplan Reserve Card. I have spent over $25K on my card this year (and received over 35K AE points through my purchase), but I have not received an email that my status has been extended until 2023. Do I need to register?
Registration was not required for the promo. They likely just haven't gotten to you yet, so just wait. You're not missing out on anything.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
I need help. I am a S100K member, and have the AMEX Aeroplan Reserve Card. I have spent over $25K on my card this year (and received over 35K AE points through my purchase), but I have not received an email that my status has been extended until 2023. Do I need to register?
I just got my email notice today — although the status renewal has been on my Aeroplan page for at least two weeks.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: AP 35K
If I already hit the $30k spend, but I haven't received the extension yet, is it safe to apply for another AP credit card (say, TD Aeroplan VIP), and then cancel my AMEX and still get the extension, or am I better off waiting until the extension shows up? I'd time it so I have a premium CC linked at all times.

EDIT: NVM, I hadn't received an email but AP website already says I have status until the end of 2023. Great!
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
I have been tracking my earnings categories from my statements and thought I should have hit the 30K points mark with my last statement, but just barely. It's been a week since my statement and no expiration date change. I believe the terms of this promotion is for 2022 spend. I suspect a good portion of my January points earned was for spending that occurred in 2021. If that is the case, I should hit the target next billing cycle. Anyone else experience anything like that?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by ramcm7
I have been tracking my earnings categories from my statements and thought I should have hit the 30K points mark with my last statement, but just barely. It's been a week since my statement and no expiration date change. I believe the terms of this promotion is for 2022 spend. I suspect a good portion of my January points earned was for spending that occurred in 2021. If that is the case, I should hit the target next billing cycle. Anyone else experience anything like that?
I was also curious about this.

Email states: Let’s make it easy. Earn 30,000 points from purchases with your Aeroplan credit card through November 30, 2022, and you’ll secure your Aeroplan Super Elite Status through 20231. Plus, all the points you’ve already earned with your Card since the beginning of this year count too!"

Which is somewhat ambiguous but I believe implies that it's only points earned on spending since Jan 1st, rather than points deposited (ie. for Dec 2021 spend).

T+C's state: "To qualify for this Offer and maintain your Aeroplan Elite status level through December 31st, 2023, you must earn at least 30,000 Aeroplan points on eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card purchases (net of returns) posted to your Aeroplan account throughout the Offer Period (“Eligible Earn”)."

Which seems to indicate that spend from Dec and points posted in January *may* count?
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, Marriott Gold
I gifted 50k status to a friend for 2022, and he got the "Secure your Aeroplan Elite Status through 2023" email.

Was this an email glitch, or can people gifted with status this year actually extend it another year with a 30k spend?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Not a glitch. Anyone with status can extend it through this promo.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
EDIT: there's a lot of fuzzy details on what accelerators might count, especially when considering retroactive spend. I have an idea of what they're trying to get across (yes to the natural AC.com accelerators, no to the one-off dining accelerators on the Chase and AMEX cards), but like with previous promotions, I'm left wishing the wording used was more explicit.

how on earth are we supposed to figure out what “spends and what Aeroplan awards” count for this….for example with Amex
obviously the monthly spend x$$ bonus won’t count but do to “accelerators“ count ??
no real clear explanation
jerry305 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
25K via AMEX-Rollover? & when is next choice time?

Cant seem to find the answer to this anywhere. I have been given 25K until end of 2023 from the
CC promo-advised by AC about a month ago.
-I have 7 credits left which expire Jan 2023- are these eligible for rollover? anyone know ?
-When will I receive the notice to choose options for 2023. Last time it was mid Feb 2022. Thoughts?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: AC E, SPG, HH
I applied for the AMEX Aeroplan cc for this promotion and reached the 30000 point threshold. I received the email that my Elite status 50k has been extended to 2023. Is it safe to cancel the credit card now that I have reached the status?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by uni818
I applied for the AMEX Aeroplan cc for this promotion and reached the 30000 point threshold. I received the email that my Elite status 50k has been extended to 2023. Is it safe to cancel the credit card now that I have reached the status?
of course not, from the t&c

Your Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card account and Aeroplan account must be open and in good standing at the time the Offer is fulfilled for the Aeroplan Elite status extension to be processed. If you cancel your Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card following the Aeroplan Elite status extension, we reserve the right to reverse the Aeroplan Elite status extension.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC E, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by asovse1
of course not, from the t&c
Its not clear how long we need to keep the credit card for, its quite vague in fact..so when is it safe to cancel?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by uni818
can you downgrade the card instead of closing it ?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: hahaha
I feel like it's vague because, in my opinion:

-Aeroplan's co-owners and partners (AMEX, for one) have a financial interest in continuing to collect your co-branded credit card annual fees
-It's not like every other promo have had completely clear-cut T&Cs...or some end users have thought of some nuanced questions that Aeroplan wouldn't have ever considered answering

While I very much doubt an Aeroplan phone rep will have the answer off-hand, especially since your question relates to your relationship with the co-branded credit card issuer (and this particular topic have continually confused Aeroplan reps for years), your best bet is to just contact them and hope they clarify it by the time your annual fee is due. They're the only ones who have the power to answer this

EDIT: not sure if this is relevant, but here goes: there's also the issue of each bank approaching their reporting to Aeroplan differently.

In the darker, greyer circles I observe, it seems that TD is very diligent in reporting bad practices (e.g., the 2021 cashback promo being clawed back, product switching related shutdowns, app-o-rama related shutdowns) to Aeroplan and asking Aeroplan to sanction the FFP accounts. Meanwhile, the other partners have turned a blind eye to similar abuse. If, in a year's time, this thread sees data points from users complaining that their status was clawed back due to a cancellation, a similar experience might not even apply to the other co-brand card issuers. Enforcement is hilariously inconsistent, if you want to ignore the T&C with your fingers crossed

Isn't the fee worth the status you're hoping to retain, anyway??

Last edited by asovse1; Sep 29, 2022 at 11:02 pm
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Aeroplan's co-owners and partners
To be clear, Aeroplan has no co-owners. AC owns 100% of it. They just got the financial institutions to pay for a big chunk of the purchase price in order to keep/win the business on the new co-branded credit cards.

IIn the darker, greyer circles I observe, it seems that TD is very diligent in reporting bad practices (e.g., the 2021 cashback promo being clawed back, product switching related shutdowns, app-o-rama related shutdowns) to Aeroplan and asking Aeroplan to sanction the FFP accounts. Meanwhile, the other partners have turned a blind eye to similar abuse. If, in a year's time, this thread sees data points from users complaining that their status was clawed back due to a cancellation, a similar experience might not even apply to the other co-brand card issuers. Enforcement is hilariously inconsistent, if you want to ignore the T&C with your fingers crossed
Keep in mind that TD is by far the largest issuer of Aeroplan credit cards. Based on what the banks contributed to the acquisition, TD's Aeroplan card business was already >3x the size of CIBC's in 2018, and I would be willing to bet that gap has only widened in the years since, as TD has invested far more marketing effort in to its cards than CIBC, which seems to be mostly clinging on to legacy cardholders.

So if people start cancelling their cards once they've qualified for this promo, or any other, TD will probably feel the hit 3x, 4x, maybe 5x more than CIBC, and TD is not 3-5x the size of CIBC. It therefore makes sense that they would invest more in enforcement efforts.
asovse1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.