Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Reward Transiting Through Taiwan - Taiwan Closed for Transit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I have an Aeroplan reward on EVA Air transiting through TPE. I just received a message from EVA that transiting is now not allowed. I didn't receive any notifications from Aeroplan. Will Aeroplan refund with no fees if I cancel the booking?
Old May 4, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: AC 75K
Aeroplan won't tell you that transiting is or isn't allowed. If your flight is cancelled they'll allow you to cancel, but I'd be surprised if they let you cancel because you're not eligible for transit.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
What if there wasn't a restriction at the time of booking and the restriction was implemented after I booked?
Old May 4, 2022, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by loun80
What if there wasn't a restriction at the time of booking and the restriction was implemented after I booked?
This is actually an interesting case. You're ticketed on an itinerary that NO ONE can fly. It's not the same as "Taiwan is closed to non-citizens", where SOME PEOPLE could enter.

I'd almost view this in a similar vein as an MCT getting changed so your itinerary is no longer legal.

I think it will be a tough argument, but it's certainly interesting.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by loun80
TW has been closed even for transit PAX for almost two years, so this situation wouldn't be possible
Old May 4, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
TW has been closed even for transit PAX for almost two years, so this situation wouldn't be possible
Assuming that it's all the same ticket/PNR/fare component, it wouldn't be a legal routing (for anyone!) and thus should never have been allowed to have been booked and ticketed.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Assuming that it's all the same ticket/PNR/fare component, it wouldn't be a legal routing (for anyone!) and thus should never have been allowed to have been booked and ticketed.
Oh that's a good point. I recently had a schedule change on a booking (UA changed a flight number - date/time/aircraft stayed the same), and the website wouldn't let me resolve it. I called in, and the agent was getting an MCT error. I was below MCT for the UA to BR (oh hey I guess I have the same situation as OP) at LAX. But I'd booked it online. The system let me book an illegal connection.

But the agent definitely said "we need to fix this!"
Old May 4, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If transit is banned and travel to Taiwan remains heavily restricted, are the flights in question actually going to operate?
Old May 4, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by eigenvector
If transit is banned and travel to Taiwan remains heavily restricted, are the flights in question actually going to operate?
Lots of routes continued operating through the pandemic with light passenger loads and a belly full of cargo, and AFAIK Taiwanese citizens are still able to fly home.
kalderlake and Temedar like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Aeroplan, Mileage Plan
Hey this exact situation happened to me. I was going SIN-TPE-YYZ on BR and I didn't receive a cancellation notice (I discovered the transit ban was extended by coincidentally logging on to BR's website and it told me that transit is banned, but my SIN-TPE flight and TPE-YYZ flight was still on). The flight was booked for a date after the initial transit ban was due to lapse. I'm not a Taiwanese resident/citizen so I have no permission to enter the country.

I called Aeroplan and obviously they did not understand what I was trying to say because in their system it still shows as the flights are running but it is not possible for me to take the entire route. I would have to take SIN-TPE then quarantine for 10 days (even if I'm let into the country) then take a later TPE-YYZ flight, obviously impossible to achieve. Furthermore, when I tried to cancel the flight via Aeroplan they were going to charge me $150. So after being on hold and speaking to a supervisor and getting them to literally try booking a cash fare on BR's site (which is when the no transit popup would appear so the Aeroplan staff could see and understand the issue), they finally cancelled it and refunded me everything + all miles instantly. No cancellation charge. I would highly recommend calling them ASAP!
YOWgary likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.