Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Seat Selection Fees in US dollars.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa

Did a search - no luck do forgive me if this has been addressed...

I have oft wondered why I, a Canadian, living in Canada, flying a Canadian airline, am charged seat selection fees in US dollars. Went thru the process again just now, even changed the currency drop down to Canadian which flipped back to US $ before I could complete the process. Why is this ok for AC to do this? Rant over but man, does this treatment leave a sour taste.
Bruce Gorman and yscleo like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:24 am

I would also like to know why this happens!
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Diamond
You should only find that the case for a flight departing the usa.
if purchase seat for return segment of a CA-USA return flight = us dollars
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Generally, the pricing is based on where the trip started. If you have a trip - for example . . SFO-YVR-SFO - regardless of where you book and pay - essentially, this is a USD fare which will be converted to the currency in the country where the ticket is issued. The- typically, the ancillary items are then charged based on the pricing in that country. You may be able to pay CAD but the pricing will be based on USD.

I see this also on Swiss - who I book a lot. I never have to pay for charges but I have seen the whole range of currencies depending on where I start my ticket . . NOK/EUR/CZK/GBP . . .

Is your ticket starting in USA?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bruce Gorman
I would also like to know why this happens!
With this being your first post, welcome to FT.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Generally, the pricing is based on where the trip started. If you have a trip - for example . . SFO-YVR-SFO - regardless of where you book and pay - essentially, this is a USD fare which will be converted to the currency in the country where the ticket is issued. The- typically, the ancillary items are then charged based on the pricing in that country. You may be able to pay CAD but the pricing will be based on USD.

I see this also on Swiss - who I book a lot. I never have to pay for charges but I have seen the whole range of currencies depending on where I start my ticket . . NOK/EUR/CZK/GBP . . .

Is your ticket starting in USA?
No, Canada to Europe
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bruce Gorman
No, Canada to Europe
Try deleting your cache and cookies.

The AC web site is way too complicated for its own good. Lots of assumptions on people's behavior. Which often leads to unpredictable results when not quite in the standard behavior case. Often for no good reson except looks and looking fancy. Plus as time goes on, it only gets worse. Adding and adding (mostly unnecessary) features.

Are they still contracting to IBM?
yscleo and RangerNS like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
I get seat selection and eUp copays in USD when flying on tickets bought via Egencia even though they never touch the US.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
I get seat selection and eUp copays in USD when flying on tickets bought via Egencia even though they never touch the US.
Was it a USA POS?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Was it a USA POS?
Yes, Egencia sets the POS to US regardless of where the O&D are.

Perhaps the OP is also booking through some sort of OTA or corporate portal
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Was it a USA POS?
It was but the routings were CAN-CAN-CAN (no musical pun intended). Is this kosher on AC's part??
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
It was but the routings were CAN-CAN-CAN (no musical pun intended). Is this kosher on AC's part??
Not only kosher, but probably required. Contradicting the PoS would trigger currency conversions and foreign transaction fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.