Wiki Posts
Search

"Incidents" in Ukraine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"Incidents" in Ukraine

On the main AC web page: "Incident in Ukraine" is how they present the link to the detailed web page about rebooking options.

They go on with other euphemisms like "Ukraine crisis."

One must wonder, are Russian customers so important to them? At the risks of upsetting Canadians of Ukrainian descent even?
pilot007 and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
delete

Last edited by 24left; Mar 14, 2022 at 5:49 am
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
other constraints like stopping in BGR for example
What have they been diverting to Bangor?

But seriously, folks.

​​​​​​...while I imagine OP and I (and likely most of us) agree on who's the offending party in that particular conflict, I would be inclined to file "Air Canada isn't using strong enough language to denounce the aggressors" under the category of the smallest possible complaints.
​​​​​
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:13 pm

I don't hear this frace often anymore, but AC is a flag carrier airline, at least in my book and I can't help being a little disappointed with the vague language.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The only reasoning I can come up with is that AC is protecting themselves form a potential insurance claim, that wouldn't pay out if it was "a war". But what policy doesn't also excluded revolutions, rebellion, insurrection, etc.

And does AC even have assets in, over, or near the Ukraine?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
So, AC should have got political with all other conflicts in the middle east, africa, asia, etc.?
If you did not complain about AC then, you probably don't deserve to complain about it now.
It is hypocritical and ignorant (if not the R word).
This reminds me the recent bs happened at Nomadmania.
Stay on topic folks and let AC do whatever a corporation needs to do, and leave your politics out of it.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericw
So, AC should have got political with all other conflicts in the middle east, africa, asia, etc.?
If you did not complain about AC then, you probably don't deserve to complain about it now.
Stay on topic folks and let AC do whatever a corporation needs to do, and leave your politics out of it.
Not necessarily asking AC to be political. If they don't want to use either "war" or "special military operation," fine. But calling this an "incident" is just plain offensive. Surely there is a host of more accurate descriptions that don't make it sound like they are looking for excuses for the attack.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Not necessarily asking AC to be political. If they don't want to use either "war" or "special military operation," fine. But calling this an "incident" is just plain offensive. Surely there is a host of more accurate descriptions that don't make it sound like they are looking for excuses for the attack.
I completely agree. The use of "incident" is offensive and AC's PR folks should know better.

Last edited by arf04; Mar 13, 2022 at 3:52 pm
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
I completely agree. The use of "incident" is offensive and the AC's PR folks should know better.
+1
I got a similarly worded news letter a couple of days ago from IHG. It seems like AC and IHG are using the same PR firm....
I haven't been able to let go of the IHG news letter because of the wording. It has been baffling me what kind of upside they think to get out of handling such a sensitive subject in that kind of manner? That goes for AC aswell now.
arf04 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If you feel outraged by AC's reprehensible act, you must stop purchasing and flying the carrier at once.

That will show your heroic stance.

​​​​
Belmont_ and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you feel outraged by AC's reprehensible act, you must stop purchasing and flying the carrier at once.

That will show your heroic stance.

​​​​
Oh come on. Let's keep a sense of perspective here.

The thing would be laughable if it were not sad. but it's not the end of the world either. (I mean, AC's BS, not te war.)
Stil and arf04 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 5:29 pm

If the int. MLL I visited on Sunday keeps serving La table dishes of that quality, you are for sure going to see me sneaking on board a AC aircraft again in the not so distant future.
But I'm still going to disagree with AC's corporate decisions from time to time, that of course while munching away on a delicious jérôme Ferrer box creation.
Happy travels to you all 🙂
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Remember, this is the same airline that has a unique definition of 'hard landing' too
yyznomad likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by ericw
In general I agree with this. But it's worth noting that the UN is as unanimous as it will ever get in regards to the "special military action". Whereas many other corporations have pulled out of Russia in protest - even at risk of affecting their precious bottom lines - AC and perhaps some others are merely hedging with cautious wording. At some point, it's worth deciding which side of history one wants to be on.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Seems like they could say "conflict" or "invasion" to better describe reality without seeming to take sides. Those are factually correct terms. "Incident" is ridiculous. An "incident" is a plumbing failure or fire that closes an airport concourse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.