Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Need easy explanation of change/cancel fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA

Hello, looking at tickets for family of 4 for one-way cvg-yvr on May 26. We are new to Air Canada/Aeroplan and I need tips on fares. I'm thinking about rolling Chase points over to Aeroplan (58K for standard fare). The cash price was about 1K CAD.

We don't check bags, and if it's cheaper to pay $$ for seats then I will go that route.

What I cannot figure out is if we cancel the flight do we get points back or is there a cancellation fee to get points back?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: AC 75K
The flexible policy for award tickets is here:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ovid-19.html#/

Cancellations are not free, however for the time that the free change in in force, you can change to a refundable fare and then cancel for free.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The flexible policy for award tickets is here:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ovid-19.html#/

Cancellations are not free, however for the time that the free change in in force, you can change to a refundable fare and then cancel for free.
Thank you, I had read that and it's still unclear. I probably need another cup of coffee. I cannot figure out if I cancel flights purchased with points whether I get all the points back or do I pay a $150 fee per ticket and then get points back?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by shmom
Thank you, I had read that and it's still unclear. I probably need another cup of coffee. I cannot figure out if I cancel flights purchased with points whether I get all the points back or do I pay a $150 fee per ticket and then get points back?
There is no free cancellation for itineraries booked after Sept 30, 2021. There are only free changes up to a certain date. From that page:

Aeroplan flight rewards booked through September 30, 2021 can be cancelled free of charge, anytime. Flight rewards booked as of October 1, 2021 apply the cancellation fee structure of the fare option purchased.

Cancellation fees are on the last page of this: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...-policy-en.pdf
Old Sep 21, 2023, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If canceling a non-refundable ticket (excluding basic), is a travel credit issued? This is not explicitly stated online. What is the fee to cancel? $100 CAD in each direction or $100 total? The charts are not clear.
Super Elite members receive waived Aeroplan cancelation fees. Do any other elite tiers have discounted fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.