Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Your flight is now boarding (text/email announcing boarding has begun)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your flight is now boarding (text/email announcing boarding has begun)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Watched closely on my flight this morning. They preboarded a few wheel chairs and the message went out on the first BP scan. Looks like IT actually did something right.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AC 740 SFO-YYZ, text/email came in 15 minutes after scheduled boarding time and 2-3 minutes before zone 1 was called, but there were definitely wheelchair pax ahead.

So I'd definitely believe it's when they scan the first BP (though that doesn't necessarily mean it's when the first person board).
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
AC 834 YYZ-MUC text came in a good 15+ minutes before Z1 boarding .... but they had started boarding wheelchair pax, so it's absolutely feasible that the first wheelchair BP scanned triggered the notice
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yeah, I think that's what it is. It would perfectly match how UA does it. But sometimes UA gate agents scan a boarding pass early for ... reasons. Maybe so they can say "see I started boarding on time", maybe something actually practical.

I haven't seen any evidence of AC doing this yet, but I think the notification is a good indication you should order one more drink, use the bathroom, and then head to the gate.
YSJ8ed likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:08 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm still trying to figure out how this works. Going to EZE last week, alerts in YYC and YUL. No alert in GRU. Coming back, no alert in EZE, and hadn't expected to get one in GRU, given we didn't get it going down. But we did get an alert for GRU-YUL on the way back. So who knows.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I didn’t get alerts YYZ-GRU or GRU-EZE. I’ll watch for what happens tomorrow on the return.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
No notification on AC323 the other day. Not much point to this system if it's so unreliable.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Flew 328 on Apr 28 and 323 on May 1. Got the boarding notification for both flights, but boarding for both flights started a solid 10 minutes after the text was received.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The system is triggered by scanning 1st BP. This can be for a deadhead crewmember or disabled passenger. It has no understanding that actual passenger boarding hasn't started. Crewmembers and disabled passengers get boarding zones just like everyone else. Its just ignored.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The system is triggered by scanning 1st BP.
Except when it's not, and no notification is issued.
Old May 15, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
No texts for my flight. Lounge agent said on time. App says on time. Get to the gate and no boarding. First announcement the crew cleaning plane so delayed 20 mins. After 20 mins another announcement of further delay of 20 mins. App notification now shows one hour delay. Could have stayed in the lounge instead of standing here as there are no vacant seats.
Old May 15, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So far the email/text alerts have occurred at the exact moment for me...
However, when a flight was delayed, I wasn't confident enough to trust the system, so ended up going to the gate anyway.
(I would occasionally ask the MLL agent if boarding had started yet, but I only do that if they're not busy registering guests)
vancouver25k likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Got email and SMS at YYZ today. Nothing at YOW (today) or YUL (3 days ago).
Old May 17, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC 75k
The issue is that it can a nice thing, but having had more than one missed or not on time notice, I feel I can't trust it. Nevermind having to be there in time for priority boarding to avoid the plug of people who ignore zoned boarding.
I have had one incorrect text when boarding was still delayed, but I am more concerned re. not showing up and missing the flight, or being stuck with nowhere for my carry on. The one piece of good news was the resurrection of gate check on the last two YVR YYJ flights I flew, however YVR to and from home is still lacking.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:05 am

Today at YYZ, got the email but no SMS.

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Nevermind having to be there in time for priority boarding to avoid the plug of people who ignore zoned boarding.
I find it's more of a problem of GA not paying attention to people showing up in zone 1 or 2 queues and continuing to process people in zone 3+ queue. I feel rude, but I end up walking up to the gate and cutting ahead of the zone 3 queue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.