2022 Elite kits arriving

Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Thought I'd give y'all an update on this saga because it's become downright comical at this point. TLDR is I still have not received my luggage tags + membership card.

After 3 unsuccessful attempts between March and June (no one could ever tell me what happened with them since AC's standard operating procedure is to send via regular mail), Air Canada finally agreed to use FedEx and send with a tracking number and signature requirement on June 23. That shipment was supposedly delivered and signed for on June 27. I say "supposedly" because I was not home that day and definitely did not sign for it. I don't live with anyone else and none of my neighbours have accepted it on my behalf.

On July 6, Air Canada tried again. This shipment was "supposedly" delivered and signed for on July 8. Unfortunately, I was not home again that day and the apparently the same thing happened!

In both cases, even though the shipments were clearly specified as "Direct Signature Required", when I request a proof of delivery on FedEx's website, the space on the PDF where the signature is supposed to be just says: "Proof-of-delivery details appear below; however, no signature is available for this FedEx Express shipment because a signature was not required."

I've raised missing package complaints with FedEx and their response is that the driver claims someone signed for the package. They have not provided an explanation for why there is no signature as proof of delivery.

AC is going to try again. I don't know if I'm just really unlucky or if this is just our post-covid service-degraded world now.
This doesn't even seem like an AC issue any more.
Adam Smith and asovse1 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Have you checked that your address is correctly on file with AC, and that it flows through correctly to FedEx? The last time we had a member complain frequently about never receiving his package, the root cause was there was some glitch in the way his address was on file with AC that caused the package to get sent to the wrong place. Once that was sorted out, there were no more problems.
Yeah unfortunately that's not the issue. I have confirmed the address (with both AC and FedEx). AC thinks the FedEx driver is just faking the signature / delivery acceptance.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium / Amex Aeroplan Reserve / Aeroplan 50k
Is anyone actually receiving kits for early recognition? My wife upgraded to 50k, 75k and now SE and no kits. (SE was very recent though)
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by YULRvR
Is anyone actually receiving kits for early recognition? My wife upgraded to 50k, 75k and now SE and no kits. (SE was very recent though)
I hit SE in early May, and no kit yet. I chatted with AC via DM on twitter and they said it would definitely come in a few weeks, but no luck.
YULRvR likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SE
My status was extended and I never got a new kit either. Still running around with my 2020 baggage tags.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium / Amex Aeroplan Reserve / Aeroplan 50k
Yes... They mentioned that if you didn't get a higher status, that they wouldn't be sending out new kits.... Only for newly achieved status.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by epiphani
My status was extended and I never got a new kit either. Still running around with my 2020 baggage tags.
This was mentioned some months ago - they're not sending out kits unless you reach a new status level.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Still waiting for my SE kit since beginning of April. I was told last week that it will arrive in 3rd week of July - so hoping it will show up next week.
YULRvR likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by asovse1
Was shown over FaceTime that my membership kit arrived today. The person I authorized to open my mail didn't find any duty-free coupon in the kit so I'm still not sure how that works. I'll scrutinize my membership letter when I'm back in SF, I guess. I got 75K via the status match offer @edmond00

Last week before receiving the kit I used the My Profile page on the aircanada.com to request a replacement membership card, a button I've never seen before as a regular Aeroplan member (where you get the orange card shipped exactly once in the new program) and a 25K
Does anything usually come in the kit besides tags/card? I also didn't get this supposed duty-free coupon or anything else.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:44 pm

Thought I'd give y'all an update on this saga because it's become downright comical at this point. TLDR is I still have not received my luggage tags + membership card.

After 3 unsuccessful attempts between March and June (no one could ever tell me what happened with them since AC's standard operating procedure is to send via regular mail), Air Canada finally agreed to use FedEx and send with a tracking number and signature requirement on June 23. That shipment was supposedly delivered and signed for on June 27. I say "supposedly" because I was not home that day and definitely did not sign for it. I don't live with anyone else and none of my neighbours have accepted it on my behalf.

On July 6, Air Canada tried again. This shipment was "supposedly" delivered and signed for on July 8. Unfortunately, I was not home again that day and the apparently the same thing happened!

In both cases, even though the shipments were clearly specified as "Direct Signature Required", when I request a proof of delivery on FedEx's website, the space on the PDF where the signature is supposed to be just says: "Proof-of-delivery details appear below; however, no signature is available for this FedEx Express shipment because a signature was not required."

I've raised missing package complaints with FedEx and their response is that the driver claims someone signed for the package. They have not provided an explanation for why there is no signature as proof of delivery.

AC is going to try again. I don't know if I'm just really unlucky or if this is just our post-covid service-degraded world now.
Update!

Good news: The second FedEx shipment has surfaced! Turns out my landlord came by my flat while I was out to investigate a plumbing issue, saw the package (which the FedEx courier had left without a signature) in the shared hallway, picked it up and meant to leave it in my flat but took it with her by accident. She just returned it to me.

Bad news: While I requested both the luggage tags and a membership card because of some LX/LH lounges that give people a hard time without a valid physical membership card, this package contains only luggage tags. 🤦‍♂️
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Bad news: While I requested both the luggage tags and a membership card because of some LX/LH lounges that give people a hard time without a valid physical membership card, this package contains only luggage tags. 🤦‍♂️
Oh, man. I can't believe you didn't even get a membership card after all that! Are you going to ask for it to be sent again?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Oh, man. I can't believe you didn't even get a membership card after all that! Are you going to ask for it to be sent again?
Sigh.

Yes, unfortunately, I've had 2 incidents in the past few months with *G lounges in Europe giving me hard time enter without a membership card.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I received mine. Luggage tags went right to my box of airlines stuff with the rest of my other tags from over the last 10 years

This will not be a popular opinion on FT and I’m definitely going to rustle some feathers … but I just don’t understood the appeal of status luggage tags…The status tags are always the crappiest quality and just don’t look even nice. It would ruin the look of all my bags. I have the stock leather ones that came with my Rimowa(for contact info) and the old school yellow flyer talker tag to hopefully continue meeting FTers(for my backpack/briefcase). I guess status tags can help with with identifying someone’s bag if lost too for practical use and I’m sure that’s why some people use them.

Airlines need to start making them with special materials or a unique look for 1MM+/top tier status people and not some plastic crap. I’m sure some airlines have already that I don’t know about. Never hit real top tier like GS/CK before. The 1K and EXP tags I’ve gotten are a joke - and I wouldn’t be any happier with SE tags with AC compared to my 75K.

It probably doesn’t help that it’s usually the “business” / politician DYKWIA types who sport MULTIPLE tags, even EXPIRED. AC elites are by far the worst for this. I personally know a few of them. Takes two seconds to cut the old one off. It just makes you look like you’re trying too hard to look cool or superior to the FOTSGs. But it ends up just looking extremely tacky. At the very least lazy. And this is coming from someone who loves having status and flying, fly for specific plane / seat configs etc. there’s no reasoning to have anything other than the current tags. It looks absolutely ridiculous to most people.

Nobody should care what other people think or judge anyone so if you’re proud and accomplished status on your own, good for you - I can see the appeal. Especially if the tags are nicer. It’s just too bad that most people assume you’re a company paid DYKWIA. They ruined the tags for everyone , especially for true FFers and people passionate about having status. I feel like they used to mean more back in the day but I wasn’t alive back then to feel any different.it’s the same as the losers who ruined Rolex, Patek and AP as a show off status symbol while true watch enthusiasts know how much quality, craftsmanship and history is behind the watch and why people have the passion.

before the separate zone boarding lanes, it was especially funny to see all the elite gate lice swarming around the gate before boarding call (sporting their multiple luggage tags) just to have to move for people in paid J/F/Z1 to board first. So many dirty looks I’ve gotten in the past squeezing by them wearing lulu lemon sweats with a backpack+ bright yellow Flyertalk “priority” tag LOL. Even funnier when sitting in J/F and seeing them go back to their premium plus or preferred seat after lining up to be first on board like t-60min 😂 embarrassed look while they pass by after giving the dirty look earlier. Priceless! I used to be insulted when employees and other pax assumed I didn’t belong in J/F but now I found I love it. Guess I’m getting older now. It’s easy for me to understand why people who fly exclusively J/F just don’t care about status at all. It’s just like going from wearing big branded clothing to discreet clothes like Loro Piana so nobody knows what you’re wearing.

i do keep the status cards(not luggage tags) for some obscure airlines (like my lifetime ITA executive for skyteamelite plus) to help support my case for priority services and lounge access. But that is put in and only comes out of the wallet if it’s absolutely needed.

unpopular opinion, i know.
YULRvR, Bohemian1, FlY2XS and 1 others like this.

Last edited by SKYEG; Jul 18, 2022 at 5:39 am
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I've gotten better treatment a few times when an AC employee noticed the SE tag on my bag. It would be nice if they were nicer, but whatever. One black tag on my bag isn't so bad, I think it looks good with my brown leather duffel.
SKYEG and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Sigh.

Yes, unfortunately, I've had 2 incidents in the past few months with *G lounges in Europe giving me hard time enter without a membership card.
How did you ultimately get in? And was your *G status indicated on your boarding pass? I typically leave my physical card at home, but may bring it along if they're so adamant about seeing it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.