Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Change fees & travel vouchers on revenue tickets (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread serves as a replacement/continuation of two long-running COVID-related threads on AC's change and refund policies:
If AC has changed or cancelled your flight, there's a specific thread for that.

[TO BE ADDED: QUICK SUMMARY OF VOUCHER AND VOLUNTARY CHANGE POLICIES]
Print Wikipost

Change fees & travel vouchers on revenue tickets (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by jix
A relatively straight forward ticket (one way north america ticket on AC)

Canceled Feb 20 9pm
Received Feb 24 9pm
Thanks for this — was just popping on here to provide my own data point, a similarly happy one.

Cancelled Feb 22 8pm
Received Feb 25 3am
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Has anyone applied for a flight voucher recently? Does it really take 8 weeks to process? AC changed my flight and now I want to rebook with a different city pair. I'm unsure whether to call AC to change the reservation online and pay the difference or cancel, get a flight voucher, and then apply said voucher to a new booking.
Cancelled a flight on Feb 4, received the voucher email on Feb 10th.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:59 pm

I see that for tickets bought April 1 2022 and onawrd, both Standard and Flex Economy offer 1 free change (pay fare difference only). However, I am unable to ascertain the change fee for a second change. How much is it? Is it different between Standard and Flex?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by sokolov
I see that for tickets bought April 1 2022 and onawrd, both Standard and Flex Economy offer 1 free change (pay fare difference only). However, I am unable to ascertain the change fee for a second change. How much is it? Is it different between Standard and Flex?
You’d need to tell us the route in order to provide a change fee, but they’re also listed in the fare rules that can be viewed during the booking process.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
You’d need to tell us the route in order to provide a change fee, but they’re also listed in the fare rules that can be viewed during the booking process.
No they are not. I checked for YXY-YQY-YXY.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by sokolov
No they are not. I checked for YXY-YQY-YXY.
Yep, they are.

canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AC SE
Another data point on voucher turnaround time for a straightforward domestic flight:
Cancelled Feb 14
Received voucher Feb 28 (voucher not yet activated March 1)

The last few vouchers I'd received took an additional 3 business days (5 calendar days) until they were activated and useable.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Yep, they are.

Interesting, thank you. When I checked yesterday, it said something like "Charge voluntary change fees in accordance with". The sentence ended there.

Last edited by sokolov; Mar 2, 2022 at 9:28 am
Old Mar 25, 2022, 4:08 am

Last month I used 230,000 Aeroplan points to redeem a Business class ticket (lowest), round trip between Vancouver and Hong Kong.
As Aeroplan allows one free change, can I change the above international Business class ticket to Economy domestic ticket (round trip between Vancouver and Toronto of 30,000 Aeroplan points).
Would I get 200,000 (230,000 minus 30,000) points back to my Aeroplan account without paying any change fee?

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: AC E50K, FPC Platinum
Flight change leeway if you get COVID

Anyone have experience with having to change a flight by a few days because of getting COVID?

I know they’re waiving change fees but are they making everyone pay the insanely high last minute fares if they need to delay their trip home by a day or two because they get COVID? I would think that would just encourage people to lie on the screening questions and fly with it if the alternative is paying hundreds more
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is why you buy insurance.
CPYVR and ChrisA330 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by eastexpress
Anyone have experience with having to change a flight by a few days because of getting COVID?
In 2020, Airlines were legitimately worried about removing incentives for exposed, positive, symptomatic , or even those with pending tests move flights around.

​​​​​​2022, the passengers are learning to be afraid of the airlines again. Those trying to do the right thing and not fly when sick will suffer a financial hit in most cases.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by eastexpress
I would think that would just encourage people to lie on the screening questions and fly with it if the alternative is paying hundreds more
I would think that allowing COVID-specific exemptions from ticket rules would just encourage people to lie about having COVID to evade change fees.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yeah, I don't really see how this is any different than a cold, flu, or other transmissible illness. Don't fly.

I missed a chance recently to have someone kicked off a flight (even if it ended up being me) for extremely blatant symptoms.

It's easier, cheaper, and less hassle to deal with the change now, than after you've boarded.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:16 pm

Does anyone have any experience on how long it will take the new voucher to be produced so it can be used ??(eCoupon with an expiry to a Voucher with no expiry). Today I used a $1006 voucher for a $1001 ticket, and then immediately cancelled it and the email I got said "Please allow a minimum of three weeks (unless otherwise stated by applicable law) for your $xxxx refund to be processed and credited to the original form of payment."

I know it says 3 weeks, but there is a chance I'll want to use it up for a flight in November, so the sooner, the better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.