Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Change fees & travel vouchers on revenue tickets (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread serves as a replacement/continuation of two long-running COVID-related threads on AC's change and refund policies:
If AC has changed or cancelled your flight, there's a specific thread for that.

[TO BE ADDED: QUICK SUMMARY OF VOUCHER AND VOLUNTARY CHANGE POLICIES]
Print Wikipost

Change fees & travel vouchers on revenue tickets (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
It's essentially a gift card, you will still have $600 on it
And unlike "changes" this travel voucher is like cash and retains none of the previous booking's restrictions, correct??

Foolish brother-who-did-not-defer-to-wiser-sibling is now in a position where rebooking entirely would make more sense and I'd consider being a kind sibling and buying his "mistake" off him if I knew I wouldn't get burned by standard fare rules.

Last edited by nomadic.relief; Feb 14, 2022 at 8:31 pm
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
And unlike "changes" this gift card is like cash and retains none of the previous booking's restrictions, correct??
Yes.
nomadic.relief and kalderlake like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes.
My brother thanks you.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I cancelled a flight recently and was issued an Air Canada Travel Voucher (15 digit, not 13).

If I use that voucher to purchase a refundable fare and subsequently cancel that flight, will they refund the voucher amount used?

TIA

kl
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by kalderlake
I cancelled a flight recently and was issued an Air Canada Travel Voucher (15 digit, not 13).

If I use that voucher to purchase a refundable fare and subsequently cancel that flight, will they refund the voucher amount used?

TIA

kl
they will refund it back to the voucher. If you buy a non refundable they will refund to a new voucher under the current terms.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:19 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kalderlake

They'll refund it to the voucher.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:02 am

Anyone know if I cancel my booking originally issued before Feb 28/22 after Feb 28 (when the current change/cancel policy expires), can I cancel anytime prior to departure for a voucher without penalty? The rules didn't seem to specify but it made it sound like that was the case.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
I know they say “up to six weeks,” but does anyone have real experience on how quickly vouchers are getting issued these days?

Just had to cancel a flight tomorrow because I coughed a few times, and decided I should probably tickle my brain to be sure. And sure enough, I ain't goin' nowhere tomorrow.

But I want to get my rebooked trip scheduled for before the end of April, for promo purposes.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
I know they say “up to six weeks,” but does anyone have real experience on how quickly vouchers are getting issued these days?
See posts 12-15 in this thread
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan;KLM;UA
Pre Sept 30 cancellable booking negated by date change?

Hi all,
I have a one way Aeroplan flight YYZ-AMS booked in June.
I booked prior to September 30, so it is fully cancellable as per this policy:

"Aeroplan flight rewards booked through September 30, 2021 can be cancelled free of charge, anytime."

I would like to advance my date by a week under this policy:

"Enjoy flexibility if your plans change. We’ll waive all change fees on Aeroplan flight rewards through February 28, 2022."

So I phoned into Aeroplan to check on making the change and was told that by changing the date I lose the cancellation privilege.

Does this tally with the experience of FlyerTalk members?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by JeffersonCampervan
Hi all,

"Aeroplan flight rewards booked through September 30, 2021 can be cancelled free of charge, anytime."

"Enjoy flexibility if your plans change. We’ll waive all change fees on Aeroplan flight rewards through February 28, 2022."

So I phoned into Aeroplan to check on making the change and was told that by changing the date I lose the cancellation privilege.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, that sounds familiar. Hasn't really been an issue as you can use the free change to convert in to Latitude or bix flex award and then cancel. Don't know if free changes will be extended again so if cancelation is important you might want to shift to a flexible fare now
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan;KLM;UA
Thanks - I just won't make the date change since this is the case. The date change isn't essential. I'd rather have the right of cancellation. It does seem counterintuitive that exercising the option of a date change negates the pre-Sept.30 'booking date' and the cancellation option that went along with it. But so be it.

It is possible that Air Canada will cancel all its summer YYZ - AMS flights anyway (as they did to me in June 2021 and November 2021, leaving KLM as the sole provider of direct flights) .

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Yes, that sounds familiar. Hasn't really been an issue as you can use the free change to convert in to Latitude or bix flex award and then cancel. Don't know if free changes will be extended again so if cancelation is important you might want to shift to a flexible fare now
Originally Posted by JeffersonCampervan
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ovid-19.html#/
Free changes extended to March 31st, Russia attacks Ukraine, AC stock tumbling.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:01 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ

Just had to cancel a flight tomorrow because I coughed a few times, and decided I should probably tickle my brain to be sure. And sure enough, I ain't goin' nowhere tomorrow.

But I want to get my rebooked trip scheduled for before the end of April, for promo purposes.
A relatively straight forward ticket (one way north america ticket on AC)

Canceled Feb 20 9pm
Received Feb 24 9pm
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Has anyone applied for a flight voucher recently? Does it really take 8 weeks to process? AC changed my flight and now I want to rebook with a different city pair. I'm unsure whether to call AC to change the reservation online and pay the difference or cancel, get a flight voucher, and then apply said voucher to a new booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.