2022 Mileage Runs - Ideas & Plans

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 7, 22, 3:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (SQM):
Segments Needed (SQS):
Dollars Needed (SQD):
Maximum Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
  • For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both SQD AND SQM or SQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second SQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.

Useful reference thread for SQM and SQD calculations:
Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 12, 22, 2:14 am

Programs: JL/JGC Diamond (OWE), AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, A3 *G, AC E35K, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by guanin2999 View Post
Just noticed a pattern that most people here seems to be going for SQM instead of SQS. Any reason why?
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Because if your average flight is over 1000 miles, then you're going to hit the SQM requirement before the SQS requirement, so there's no point MRing for SQS.

Now guanin2999, you didn't list out where you're based from, so obviously we wouldn't know your exact situation.

I did want to add onto the Cow's point however; the likelihood of why you feel more folks here would go Miles > Segment is simply because there are more regular posters here living at the hubs.

For hub guys, AC's continual fare against F8 + the Pandemic has been a godsend for prices.
F8 coming in has really depressed the total prices on competing non-stop routes, and kept AC honest on pricing.

Take YYZ-YVR-YYZ for example, Flex G fare at 295.42 CAD all-in (with a 20% code)

Works out with bonuses
SQM - 8304
SQD - 404
SQS - 4

Can I find a 4 segment run under $295 CAD all-in?
I could try but why risk misconnect/getting stuck somewhere, when there's literally always another YVR/YYC-YYZ within 2-3 hrs if hell breaks out and also have collect more RDM in my pocket.
Plus red-eye saves time for many of us, and allow time to catch up with friends for an afternoon if needed.

Now I'm sure the non-hubs guys would LOVE a $295 CAD all-in fare for transcon, but those fares don't exist.
So chances are segments make more sense for them.

Now are you going to hit E50/E75/SE100K with Base fare of 101 CAD each way, of course not!
But that's a problem that can be solved later.
Old Feb 12, 22, 6:45 am

Programs: AC 50K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Just noticed a pattern that most people here seems to be going for SQM instead of SQS. Any reason why?
Short hair Francis gives the best write-up- all depends on where you are and your use case - for most people SQM makes sense.

I fly YCD-YVR roughly every other week for work (based around flight sales - sometimes its weekly, sometimes I go 3-weeks without flying), and can routinely get Economy Standard @ $325...for a 20min flight on a DH4 seating doesn't really matter.
Call it 26 flights @ $325 post tax:
  1. SQD is roughly $300 for those flights, so $7,800 for the year
  2. SQS is 52 since each round trip is 2 SQS
  3. SQM = 250 per round trip so 6,500
(For comparison, taking the ferry would cost me roughly $150 per trip but so much longer in travel time; the Sea Plane would cost me $250, and actually saves me 1.5hrs round-trip on travel time so I am paying a premium to take AC purely for status only. The eUps is what makes it worth it - I have 4 personal trips booked with Aeroplan Points + Latitude fares which I use them for free upgrades to lie-flats)

...based on above flight pattern, I'm guaranteed 50k based on this pattern with no MR's needed, although with my TD VIP card I get close to 75k status and may consider a MR - with the various bonuses this year I believe I'll hit 75k end of June and won't need any.

The only "bad" thing with this plan is any carryover SQS I have doesn't carry over, since my TD VIP only does a carryover of SQM. I'm considering in 2023 (assuming my flight pattern stays the same) to start buying flight passes since you get SQM's and staying under the SE threshold since I won't spend $20k to help with carryover for 2024.
Short hair Francis likes this.
Old Feb 12, 22, 10:02 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
As already stated the average miles works better than SQS

Other strategies may be because SQM opens up to threshold benefits and also some maybe after the 1 or 2 Million Miles status
Short hair Francis likes this.
Old Feb 12, 22, 11:46 am

Programs: MH Platinum, AC 75k, Accor All Gold, Marriott Gold
Very interesting thread. After my own research I figured I should go for SQS rather than SQD.
I am not doing too many long flights at all. Once or twice as year to Europe. 4 times a year to the US. I produced a couple of short itineraries giving me 3 or 4 sectors in 1 day at a good cost. This way I'm back home fast enough rather than having to fly transcontinental and waste too much of my free time. With the current promo, these sectors will be doubled. I will never reach the SQM I need, also since I don't have an AP credit card (yet). I'm buying biz every now and then as well as (e-) upgrades. This gets me to the SQD needed.
But yeah, I guess I'm weird or so.
Old Feb 12, 22, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
Very interesting thread. After my own research I figured I should go for SQS rather than SQD.
I am not doing too many long flights at all. Once or twice as year to Europe. 4 times a year to the US. I produced a couple of short itineraries giving me 3 or 4 sectors in 1 day at a good cost. This way I'm back home fast enough rather than having to fly transcontinental and waste too much of my free time. With the current promo, these sectors will be doubled. I will never reach the SQM I need, also since I don't have an AP credit card (yet). I'm buying biz every now and then as well as (e-) upgrades. This gets me to the SQD needed.
No one is weird and you never have to justify your strategy to anyone else but yourself. We all have different circumstances on why and how we do things. Solicit feedback from others, there is a lot of seasoned talent here, and at the end its you alone that makes the decision on what is best for you. Just have fun
Old Feb 12, 22, 4:22 pm

Programs: JL/JGC Diamond (OWE), AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, A3 *G, AC E35K, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by theranj View Post
Short hair Francis gives the best write-up- all depends on where you are and your use case - for most people SQM makes sense.
Thank You theranj, I'm feeling blush 😊😊
But that's why I always respect the hell out of the segments guys, with your SQD breakdowns

You guys pay way more in your fares, earn peanuts in RDMS, and all you get is the blade twirling sounds of a Dash.

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
Other strategies may be because SQM opens up to threshold benefits and also some maybe after the 1 or 2 Million Miles status
I was mainly thinking of competitive fares, MLLs, how to avoid 7M8s and Express flights myself. 😄

Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
No one is weird and you never have to justify your strategy to anyone else but yourself. We all have different circumstances on why and how we do things. Solicit feedback from others, there is a lot of seasoned talent here, and at the end its you alone that makes the decision on what is best for you. Just have fun
Short of flying to HKG/TPE/TYO/5 Star country and sit in 14 nights hotel jail and coming back, I agree with you 😆

To Quinzinho or to any other newbies thinking of doing some Q1 runs, I say go "Discover Yourself First"
See what are your regular patterns are first and go from there.

My pattern vs. theranj are perfect polar opposite examples
My patterns are Domestic/Transborder Transcons + Transpacific, average sector length of 1700+ miles
I have no business flying 50 or 75 Segments of those thing, not trying to fly to the Moon here 😆

Theranj's patterns are polar opposite of paddlejumpers
The guy ain't gonna fly 25K SQM of DH4 in a year, let's not torture him here 😄

Now obviously depending on where one is based
- Hub (YVR/YYC/YYZ/YUL)
- Non-Hub Domestic
- US/EU

That alone (because of fare filings) will naturally sway your decision making process, along with your tolerance for PCR testing/Arrivecan annoyances...

HerpaYvr is right, do some initial research and feel free to ask away.
Chance are if you thought of that idea, the seasoned talents on FT would've done it 100x already.

yeeg's 4 segment YYC-YYZ turn in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33984479-post38.html
That reminds me when a bunch of AA folks (myself included) would do multiple back-to-back midcon red-eyes in 2012 for one of their promos.
*It's written in one of my old TRs, I promise you by segment 4 he's not gonna feel great, unless he's 21 LOL 🤣

Either way, make it fun, try to squeeze some 1/2 day activities in your turnaround city.
YOLO 👍
Old Feb 13, 22, 8:29 pm

Completed my 24 hour trip earlier today. Wasnt as bad as I thought it would be as I am usually a restless sleeper.
might have to do it again.
Old Feb 13, 22, 8:34 pm

yeeg's 4 segment YYC-YYZ turn in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33984479-post38.html
That reminds me when a bunch of AA folks (myself included) would do multiple back-to-back midcon red-eyes in 2012 for one of their promos.
*It's written in one of my old TRs, I promise you by segment 4 he's not gonna feel great, unless he's 21 LOL 🤣

Either way, make it fun, try to squeeze some 1/2 day activities in your turnaround city.
YOLO 👍
Ha, I just saw this after my post. You nailed it...Sadly I'm 49...
I used some eUps for segment 4 so I could get a pod. Still didnt sleep very much but hit the treadmill once I arrived home.
Old Feb 19, 22, 2:55 pm

Has anyone found any roundabout ways into South America that maximize SQM? I'm based out of YYZ but flexible. Something like the earlier posted YYZ -> BUD -> HNL, but ending in South America (Colombia, Brazil...) would be great. I can only find fares that are $7000+ for economy.
Old Feb 20, 22, 5:51 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Originally Posted by User8181416 View Post
Has anyone found any roundabout ways into South America that maximize SQM? I'm based out of YYZ but flexible. Something like the earlier posted YYZ -> BUD -> HNL, but ending in South America (Colombia, Brazil...) would be great. I can only find fares that are $7000+ for economy.
If you are looking at AC only from YYZ then it might be tough to get a deal. Suggest you open up to other Star Alliance options and widen your search parameters to possibly include a US city as your starting point (NYC, BOS, ORD, etc..). Sometimes you will get a deal with AC being the primary carrier from those points. If you would prefer to start in YYZ, then here is an example (I am doing this in 3 weeks) :

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...gl=US&curr=CAD

AC segments to and from IAH should qualify for this promotion and you will still get 150% SQM on the United legs to Lima and back.

Try playing around with Google flights with dates that you have available.

CC
Old Feb 20, 22, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
If you are looking at AC only from YYZ then it might be tough to get a deal. Suggest you open up to other Star Alliance options and widen your search parameters to possibly include a US city as your starting point (NYC, BOS, ORD, etc..). Sometimes you will get a deal with AC being the primary carrier from those points. If you would prefer to start in YYZ, then here is an example (I am doing this in 3 weeks) :

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...gl=US&curr=CAD

AC segments to and from IAH should qualify for this promotion and you will still get 150% SQM on the United legs to Lima and back.

Try playing around with Google flights with dates that you have available.

CC
Thanks, I will play around with different starting cities. Obviously I'd like to maximize AC on the longer segments of a trip for get the double miles. It looks like I can get into Europe and then to Sao Paulo for a good rate.... will post if I find any gems.
Captain Canuck likes this.
Old Feb 20, 22, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Originally Posted by User8181416 View Post
Thanks, I will play around with different starting cities. Obviously I'd like to maximize AC on the longer segments of a trip for get the double miles. It looks like I can get into Europe and then to Sao Paulo for a good rate.... will post if I find any gems.
I did this myself in December using AC from LGA-YYZ-ZUR. then ZRH-BCN-ZRH-GRU with Swiss for $800 USD in J, but have not seen that one resurface...

CC
User8181416 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 22, 11:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Looks like I might have a week or so to kill in late March/early April, between a project ending in GRU and a meeting in LAX, and a smart application of that double-miles promo would nearly wrap up my SE qualification for 2023...
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 22, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
Looks like I might have a week or so to kill in late March/early April, between a project ending in GRU and a meeting in LAX, and a smart application of that double-miles promo would nearly wrap up my SE qualification for 2023...
What do you need?
Old Feb 22, 22, 11:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
What do you need?
Somewhere interesting to go, on as much AC metal as possible? $2-3K in airfare would pretty much solve my AQD problem, I'm already on track to more than qualify on AQM/S.
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread