Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (SQM):
Segments Needed (SQS):
Dollars Needed (SQD):
Maximum Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:
Route(s) You've Already Searched:
  • For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both SQD AND SQM or SQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second SQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.

Information on SQM/SQS/SQD in General

If you need a refresher on what counts for SQM, SQD, etc, please consult this thread: Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Useful reference thread for SQM and SQD calculations: Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

General Tips

A good starting point and general approach on finding that ideal mileage run is this article written by YOWgary : Mileage Run Tips
Print Wikipost

2022 Mileage Runs - Ideas & Plans

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
With this being your first post, welcome to posting on FT
Thank you! Long time lurker :-)

here in complete wiki form:
Departure Airport: YVR
Miles Needed (SQM): xx
Segments Needed (SQS): 20
Dollars Needed (SQD): 3,500
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (CHOOSE ONE, AND STATE THE VALUE): $1500
Available Travel Dates: pretty much any weekend
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:
AC only
Route(s) You've Already Searched: YVR-Y(XX as in several options via YKA, YLW or YEG)-YYC-YQR-YYC-YVR
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Since you don't seem to need many SQM, it's just about spending the $3.5K, which is pretty easy! In the other thread, you mention you fly to LHR/DUB about every other month and refer to the additional fees to u/g TATL so I assume you're flying lower fare classes. A Western Canada Europe and NA pass in Latitude is approx $1,550/leg which would let you upgrade at the time of booking without fees. Maybe by switching to that product and fitting in a couple of trips to LHR during the promo period you'd meet all the requirements without having to do any additional flying and you'd get a quantifiable benefit from the extra spending.
That's an interesting thought. I have never booked latitude before because it has never made sense for me. But I've been learning how to use my (very few) eUps the past couple of years so I will have to keep that in mind for the future! I currently only have 8 of my 20 eUps this year (inexperience with eUps and picking benefits, and 12 are already waitlisted for TCON flights) so I won't be able to upgrade even a one way TATL. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm be sure to consider that in the future!
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:20 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Chris_DUS
Dollars Needed (SQD): 3,500
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (CHOOSE ONE, AND STATE THE VALUE): $1500
I've updated the second of these lines in the wiki since it was confusing. But are you saying your maximum budget to achieve 3,500 SQD is $1,500? Even with the current 2x SQD promo, that's not possible. At most, $1,500 could earn 3,000 SQD, and that's ignoring the fact that AIFs, GST, etc will always create a wedge between dollars spent and SQD. To achieve 3,500 SQD, you're probably going to need to spend over $2,000.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
there are some excellent Hawaii fares from MR. luckily had a vacation already booked during the promo.

not sure what one night in HNL is allowing you to avoid unless you are doing two of these round trips in 72 hours. You will need an antigen test the day before travel to enter US/Hawaii under the current rules as Hawaii doesn’t require PCR anymore. Canada requires that your PCR test be done at your destination and won’t take one done in Canada prior to travel. Even if you could nest them to enter Canada twice within a 72 hour period i don’t think they would knowingly accept the same test being used twice for entry based on the intent of the new rule.
The new rules state the PCR test has to be done outside of Canada, but it does not restrict the amount of usage.
On March 6th before I leave HNL for YOW I will have a PCR test with that date for entry into Canada on the morning of March 7th. I will use the same PCR test for entry into the US the next day on the 8th return to Canada. All times are based on EST.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
The new rules state the PCR test has to be done outside of Canada, but it does not restrict the amount of usage.
On March 6th before I leave HNL for YOW I will have a PCR test with that date for entry into Canada on the morning of March 7th. I will use the same PCR test for entry into the US the next day on the 8th return to Canada. All times are based on EST.
If you are nesting trips within 72 hours you’ve got it covered other than a quarantine plan on arrival if you test positive (per ArriveCAN rules) on your first arrival but they may gloss over that. You’ve got a next days in your plans and maybe you’ve added an extra but a March 6th test cannot be used on the 8th to enter the US. Tests need to be the calendar before the flight before departure date so would need to done on the 7th/8th if you are departing on the 8th.

Not an easy MR to navigate; I hope all your flights go exactly as scheduled.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
But I've been learning how to use my (very few) eUps the past couple of years
One big benefit of SE is that you get a lot more eUps! I guess this comment should really be in the other thread...
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:08 pm

Hello! I currently hold status for the first time, 50K from a rewards gift. Given the promo and hopes to do a lot of traveling this year anyway to shake off the COVID depression, I'm thinking about making a run for SE.

I currently have about 15k SQM. I'd like to knock off a good chunk of the remaining miles with this promo... maybe something like 30k to become 60k? I will have about two weeks to travel in each of February, March, and April.

Is there any very broad "good value" $ per SQM? Obviously length of flight factors in as well...

Thanks!

Departure Airport: YYZ
Miles Needed (SQM): 30kish
Segments Needed (SQS): N/A
Dollars Needed (SQD): N/A (will definitely hit by end of year)
Maximum Budget: 10k? Ballpark. Could go higher if destinations are good. Of note, I do not mind traveling economy or premium economy for these flights.
Available Travel Dates: About 3x two week trips as above.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: AC only for promotion
Route(s) You've Already Searched: Not much yet. Thinking hopping around South America due to time zones and convenience.

Last edited by User8181416; Feb 8, 2022 at 11:51 pm
Old Feb 8, 2022, 11:28 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by User8181416
Hello! I currently hold status for the first time, 50K from a rewards gift. Given the promo and hopes to do a lot of traveling this year anyway to shake off the COVID depression, I'm thinking about making a run for SE.

I currently have about 15k SQM. I'd like to knock off a good chunk of the remaining miles with this promo... maybe something like 30k to become 60k? I will have about two weeks to travel in each of February, March, and April.

Thanks!

Maximum Budget: 10k? Ballpark. Could go higher if destinations are good. Of note, I do not mind traveling economy or premium economy for these flights.
Route(s) You've Already Searched: Not much yet. Thinking South America hopping due to time zones and convenience.
There are some sweet deals to EZE on AC ex-YVR/YEG in J for around $2900ish round trip (not to be confused with the ~$2200 UA prices that connect in IAH). While not the greatest value/dollar, you could make a decent trip out of it if you truly want to head to South America.
User8181416 likes this.

Last edited by loganre17; Feb 8, 2022 at 11:35 pm
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC

Is there any very broad "good value" $ per SQM? Obviously length of flight factors in as well...

Thanks!

Route(s) You've Already Searched: Not much yet. Thinking hopping around South America due to time zones and convenience.
Travelling in Business or Premium Economy will obviously increase your SQM on the trip and of course the comfort you will appreciate on long-haul flights.

If you can get a reasonably priced flight to Europe, you can get over 26k of the 30k SQM done with one BUD-HNL return trip (via FRA and YYZ) which is around CAD 3k in Business Class (Booking Class P). Including the positioning flights YYZ-FRA/ZRH-BUD return on a Standard fare you will be at 30k already.
User8181416 likes this.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Feb 9, 2022 at 5:57 am
Old Feb 9, 2022, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
If you can get a reasonably priced flight to Europe, you can get over 26k of the 30k SQM done with one BUD-HNL return trip (via FRA and YYZ) which is around CAD 3k in Business Class (Booking Class P). Including the positioning flights YYZ-FRA/ZRH-BUD return on a Standard fare you will be at 30k already.
Sorry, I'm a bit new with all this. So YYZ -> Europe, get to Budapest somehow, then BUD -> FRA -> YYZ -> HNL, return the same way and then back to YYZ through the original means? The only itinerary I find like this is through Lufthansa for the BUD -> FRA segment. Is that right?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Sorry, I'm a bit new with all this. So YYZ -> Europe, get to Budapest somehow, then BUD -> FRA -> YYZ -> HNL, return the same way and then back to YYZ through the original means? The only itinerary I find like this is through Lufthansa for the BUD -> FRA segment. Is that right?
That is correct, the BUD-FRA vv. segments of the ticket are operated by Lufthansa and you need two tickets, one YYZ-BUD-YYZ and the second BUD-HNL-BUD. A sample itinerary with a week break in HNL could look like this:

Ticket 1

Ticket 2
User8181416 likes this.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Feb 9, 2022 at 2:48 pm
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
For early April I was looking at a multi-city run of YOW-HNL-YYZ-OGG-YOW for just under $1,500 in Flex nine segments and 19,843 AP with two days in Hawaii for some sun, lol.
User8181416 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Moderator note: A reminder that this is the mileage run thread. The Canada forum has an extensive thread on testing requirements to enter Canada. Questions, comments, and other discussion of Canadian entry testing should be posted there.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:29 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
That is correct, the BUD-FRA vv. segments of the ticket are operated by Lufthansa and you need two tickets, one YYZ-BUD-YYZ and the second BUD-HNL-BUD. A sample itinerary with a week break in HNL could look like this:
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
For early April I was looking at a multi-city run of YOW-HNL-YYZ-OGG-YOW for just under $1,500 in Flex nine segments and 19,843 AP with two days in Hawaii for some sun, lol.
Both of these seem like solid value propositions for the SQD / SQM earned......
Anyone care to share tips / tricks for finding such good value mileage runs?
User8181416 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Both of these seem like solid value propositions for the SQD / SQM earned......
Anyone care to share tips / tricks for finding such good value mileage runs?

I forgot to mention that if flying solo I have a 15/20% discount code to make it cheaper OR I can use my Buddy Pass and make it even cheaper. I really want a big bang for the money!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.