Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Accelerate Your Way to Status (for 2023) - 2022 promo [see wiki if promo not posted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Q: For the May-September Europe portion of this promo, which flights does it apply to?
sub-Q1: Does it apply to flights to and from Europe?
A: Yes, both. Initially, AC's English-language was somewhat confusing and only mentioned flights "to" Europe, but it was later clarified that both to and from qualify.
sub-Q2: Does it apply on all flights on a booking to/from Europe?
A: No, only the flights that touch Europe will count. So, for example, on a YYC-YYZ-FCO booking, only YYZ-FCO would qualify for the bonus. Note: that the flight must be operated by AC to qualify for the promo.

Q: If I buy a fare that earns 150% SQM, will I receive 250% or 300%?
A: You will receive 300%.

The first sweep only had the 100% bonus applied to the base rate, and not the COS bonus, so in this instance, you would receive 250%. They are now retroactively adding the COS bonus, and nearly everyone seems to have received it. The second sweep applied the 100% bonus to the total, so you would receive 300% right away.

Q: Has anyone received the 5k SQM, 5 SQS, 500 SQD from Part 1 yet?
A:
Yes, but not everyone. Those began to post June 2, and were back-dated to April 20th in Aeroplan's list of activities.

Q: Has anyone received the bonus on Europe flights after April 30?
A:
Yes, but not everyone.

Q: Okay, then what is the most recent date for a Europe flight that has credited?
A: Sept 29, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Accelerate Your Way to Status (for 2023) - 2022 promo [see wiki if promo not posted]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Benner
As long as you are an SE in the year you earn the banked year you should be fine as the 250k SQM threshold award says “Available to Super Elite Members Only”. It’s an interesting question though as people who have extremely high CC spend and roll-over SQM could keep earning a banked year and remain a SE based on SQM earned from their CC. Not sure how many would fall into this bucket but as of now it’s a very lucrative benefit of the high-end cards for high spenders.

The credit cards really changed the game on SQM earning.
It is an interesting question as I am one of those with extremely high cc spend. Theoretically, since I am SE this year, I could bank a year this year and then do the same every year without ever reaching the $20k SQD. In reality, when my business travel comes back to normal levels, I’ll reach the SQD, but I won’t be pressed to fly just to reach the SQD minimum in order to maintain status this year.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Has anyone got a clear read on the semantics / language used in the updated promotion?
I see someone asked upthread but no one really commented or replied.

The statement that the promotion applies to flights "to Europe" was bolded, leading me to believe this is AC's way of only providing the bonus on flights one way...
Would be nice if it was in fact both ways on a return ticket though.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Has anyone got a clear read on the semantics / language used in the updated promotion?
I see someone asked upthread but no one really commented or replied.

The statement that the promotion applies to flights "to Europe" was bolded, leading me to believe this is AC's way of only providing the bonus on flights one way...
Would be nice if it was in fact both ways on a return ticket though.

See post 328. All flights to/from Europe
Old Apr 9, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus
See post 328. All flights to/from Europe
Missed that, thank you.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium
English T and C updated

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Missed that, thank you.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:59 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
My apologies if this has been addressed, I didn’t see it in a quick scroll through the thread:

1. Just to be clear, does this only apply on Air Canada metal? So if I fly round trip to Frankfurt on an Air Canada itinerary where the flight out is Air Canada and the return in a codeshare on the same itinerary with a flight operated by Lufthansa, do you think this bonus would apply to both legs or only my outbound? For SQD I still earn on Star Alliance partners as long as it’s on AC ticket stock, but not sure if this promo is more restrictive?

2. For the Europe extension, is it fair to assume that this rules out the Canada-Europe portion of a connecting flight onwards? Like if I fly YYZ-FRA-NQZ, do you think the flight between YYZ-FRA would earn the bonus miles post May 1st or wouldn’t be eligible because the final destination on the itinerary is not Europe?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Based on the terms and conditions - it looks like it applies to only flights on Air Canada metal.

As to the second question - I don't think we know yet. The wording suggests only the transatlantic flight might be eligible, but it's possible they'll credit broader than that with connecting flights on either end.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 1:17 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Well, I guess I’ll know when the credits start coming in. My first flight post pandemic was the Frankfurt as in my example. Was hoping to see a doubling up but if I don’t on the LH portion at least I got to ride the 747 again!

My next trip is AC both ways so that will qualify at least!
Old Apr 10, 2022, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd bet a finger that the promo is applied on a segment by segment basis, so the rest of the PNR is irrelevant.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 3:14 pm

For those who have been in the game longer than me (ie. before COVID), how common are promos like this outside of the pandemic? (ie. double miles, SQD bonuses, etc.) Are these promos just more generous/longer than usual, or something entirely new?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FreedomIsntFree
Slightly unclear, if you fly a one way flight to Europe (YVR-LHR) before April 30 and then take a one way flight back home (CDG- YVR) before the end of May. do you get bonus for the flight back home? Both flights were booked at once and in Latitude. Thanks!
Originally Posted by User8181416
For those who have been in the game longer than me (ie. before COVID), how common are promos like this outside of the pandemic? (ie. double miles, SQD bonuses, etc.) Are these promos just more generous/longer than usual, or something entirely new?
There have been promos but most of them are not status promos but Aeroplan promos. They have had contests to accumulate miles, there have been destination promos or class of booking promos. A blanket double your SQM/SQD has been rare or maybe even non existent prior to Covid. At least as far as I can remember.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't recall any SQD (AQD) promos pre-COVID.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
Terminology has changed, and I really can't remember if it was Air Canada or Canadian or both, but there were promotions which had the effect of granting bonus status miles, or equivalently reducing the qualification requirements, during the travel downturn after 09/11.

So expect such status promotions every time there is an event which causes massive global downturn in air travel, but not so much otherwise.

TM
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't recall any SQD (AQD) promos pre-COVID.
Originally Posted by Travellin_man
Terminology has changed, and I really can't remember if it was Air Canada or Canadian or both, but there were promotions which had the effect of granting bonus status miles, or equivalently reducing the qualification requirements, during the travel downturn after 09/11.

So expect such status promotions every time there is an event which causes massive global downturn in air travel, but not so much otherwise.

TM
I don't think there have been AQD promos before, but the last time there were really amazing promos would have been early-mid 2000s. Need a solid recession to get cheap status. AQDs haven't been around long enough to factor in (but based on this promo are clearly up for consideration when they need to drum up business.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by User8181416
Back in the last 80's, there was a strike that went on for a time, and there were triple miles offered on all flights that went on for a time. This was before status existed (well, it did exist, was very special, and you had to ask for it - hence my Kanata Club which was the FF recognition within Canadian. Epic times. I had a lot of YYZ-YYC on biz return and got my wife and I to Madrid for our honeymoon as a result on points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.