Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Accelerate Your Way to Status (for 2023) - 2022 promo [see wiki if promo not posted]

Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Q: For the May-September Europe portion of this promo, which flights does it apply to?
sub-Q1: Does it apply to flights to and from Europe?
A: Yes, both. Initially, AC's English-language was somewhat confusing and only mentioned flights "to" Europe, but it was later clarified that both to and from qualify.
sub-Q2: Does it apply on all flights on a booking to/from Europe?
A: No, only the flights that touch Europe will count. So, for example, on a YYC-YYZ-FCO booking, only YYZ-FCO would qualify for the bonus. Note: that the flight must be operated by AC to qualify for the promo.

Q: If I buy a fare that earns 150% SQM, will I receive 250% or 300%?
A: You will receive 300%.

The first sweep only had the 100% bonus applied to the base rate, and not the COS bonus, so in this instance, you would receive 250%. They are now retroactively adding the COS bonus, and nearly everyone seems to have received it. The second sweep applied the 100% bonus to the total, so you would receive 300% right away.

Q: Has anyone received the 5k SQM, 5 SQS, 500 SQD from Part 1 yet?
A:
Yes, but not everyone. Those began to post June 2, and were back-dated to April 20th in Aeroplan's list of activities.

Q: Has anyone received the bonus on Europe flights after April 30?
A:
Yes, but not everyone.

Q: Okay, then what is the most recent date for a Europe flight that has credited?
A: Sept 29, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Accelerate Your Way to Status (for 2023) - 2022 promo [see wiki if promo not posted]

Old May 10, 2022, 7:26 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by c224488
Let's just hope that they got it wrong and all domestic segments with the final destination to Europe will also get the bonus.
It will depend on each individual's circumstances what would be the best outcome - but I hope they got it right and this will be applied by segment. That would mean TATL legs of a connecting flight would be eligible despite the trip not being 'to Europe'. If they were to count domestic segments on a trip to Europe that would lead me to believe that if they were digging that deep to look at final destinations than they wouldn't count the YYZ-FRA leg of a connecting flight to a non-European destination.

As someone that lives near YYZ and has 3 trips to NQZ via FRA coming up if it is applied by segment I'll be looking at an extra 23,616 SQM and like ~$5,400 SQD. Smart move by AC as this will actually encourage me to book AC for YYZ-FRA rather than the LH option on the 747.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by wjw
Smart move by AC as this will actually encourage me to book AC for YYZ-FRA rather than the LH option on the 747.
I’m surprised you don’t find LH and the crappy 747 encouragement enough to fly AC in the first place.
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 3:22 pm
wjw

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I’m surprised you don’t find LH and the crappy 747 encouragement enough to fly AC in the first place.
Haha, I’ll admit it’s not rational, but I still love flying the 747 when I get the chance.

As for LH, I actually generally like them as a carrier! But to stay on topic for the thread, I think I am an example of why this promo works for some at least. It will make me go out of my way to be on AC metal for my TATL flights, when I used to be 50/50 with LH.
yyztozag likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Before April 30, all AC flights (as per the T&Cs) earned the bonus.

After April 30, it applies only to AC flights to/from Europe (again, according to the T&Cs).

Until someone posts with info for flights taken after April 30, we can speculate all we want, but the prevailing opinion is that only those segments to/from Europe get the bonus. We will see.
I flew OPO -> LIS -> YYZ -> YOW on May 4, so as soon as the bonus for that posts, I'll let you all know which legs got a bonus.
Old May 10, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, MB Titanium, National EE, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JordanK
I flew OPO -> LIS -> YYZ -> YOW on May 4, so as soon as the bonus for that posts, I'll let you all know which legs got a bonus.
Please do let us know as soon as you find out
Old May 11, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by wjw
Haha, I’ll admit it’s not rational, but I still love flying the 747 when I get the chance.
Ditto. My next paid J ticket is on LH. Why? I’ll take the beautiful 747 in the upper deck over the Signature Suite any day, and the marginal loss in SQM won’t put my status at risk anyway. These birds won’t be in the sky for much longer, and while I like nice J seats at a good price, I’ve been a plane geek since I was 4. I want at least two more flights on the 744 before it’s sent to the desert.

On a semi-related note, what happens if a segment gets switched from AC a to LH/UA (IRROPS)? Does the promotion still apply, given that you didn’t make the change voluntarily?
Old May 11, 2022, 3:32 pm
wjw

Originally Posted by yyztozag
On a semi-related note, what happens if a segment gets switched from AC a to LH/UA (IRROPS)? Does the promotion still apply, given that you didn’t make the change voluntarily?
Well, we’re all still speculating on whether they define a flight to Europe by itinerary or by flight segments, but if it’s the latter I’d assume it wouldn’t qualify as it’s not AC metal. Although I’m not sure how that would fit with other current practise. Like, I assume you don’t earn LQM in such circumstance (but I could be wrong!)

The promotion definitely doesn’t apply to other carrier flights even if on 014 stock as I didn’t get bonus for earlier LH legs in the pre-April 30 part of this promo, despite the flights being booked as AC codeshare flight numbers and on AC stock. (Edit: here I’m talking about flights I knew were codeshares operated by other airlines though, not ones that I was bumped onto)
Old May 11, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Ditto. My next paid J ticket is on LH. Why? I’ll take the beautiful 747 in the upper deck over the Signature Suite any day, and the marginal loss in SQM won’t put my status at risk anyway. These birds won’t be in the sky for much longer, and while I like nice J seats at a good price, I’ve been a plane geek since I was 4. I want at least two more flights on the 744 before it’s sent to the desert.
I'm totally with you! I love flying on the upper deck.

Who knows what AC would do ... and I agree with wjw that if you had booked a leg that was originally scheduled to be operated by LH (even with an AC codeshare number), you would not get the promotion for that flight. However, there is some history that AC will grant the Original Routing Credit (ORC) in the case of irrops ... so if you had booked a flight that was scheduled to be operated by AC, on AC metal, and that flight was subsequently switched to another carrier due to irrops ... personally I would at least make a claim for the ORC, including the promotional bonus. Whether or not you would win ... consult your local psychic
yyztozag likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
All I can say is I have had 2 segments swapped out from AC to UA and no bonuses given.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dr_torch
All I can say is I have had 2 segments swapped out from AC to UA and no bonuses given.
But have you asked? I definitely wouldn't expect them to credit automatically.
vernonc and kalderlake like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by NordsFan
This is also my experience with flights taken in JAN and FEB. The retro for COS was credited for the longer of each day's flights. Still waiting for 6 x 38 SQMs for short-hauls from/to YQB on Comfort fares (i.e. 250 + 38 = 288).
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Ah yes. This seems to comport with my observation as well: if there are multiple flights on the same day, the top up only applies to 1 of them.
Originally Posted by SearsTower
I'm missing the COS top up for 13 segments from Jan 11 to Feb 18. In all cases, the top up from at least one other flight on that day has posted. I am also missing one flight from April 21, but I also just had to put through a claim to get the base points for that one. So I am missing a total of 1952 miles. I'm already well over the renewal level for SE, so it is just for carryover to next year.
For those of you still waiting for COS top-up of pre-Feb 20 flights where multiple flights on the same date only saw one corrected, I suggest you write in to AC to let them know. I was just assured by AC that according to their records, they've fixed everything now, and I had to insist that that is not the case.

I only have 1 such flight affecting me, so it's not the end of the world if I don't receive the 468 SQMs I'm owed. But for those of you with many more flights missing COS top-ups, just waiting around for AC to get their sh*t together may not be enough.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Is anyone still waiting for the 100% bonus SQM SQS SQD? I have two flights on Apr 28/29 that have not posted yet. The base miles and points have posted but not the bonus.

Also what is the preferred email contact to write in for stuff like this?

Thank you
Old May 12, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheViperOne
Is anyone still waiting for the 100% bonus SQM SQS SQD? I have two flights on Apr 28/29 that have not posted yet. The base miles and points have posted but not the bonus.

Thank you
They seem to be 1-2 weeks behind the flight dates. I had flights on April 24th that have got the bonus posted, and some on May 6th that have not.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TheViperOne

Thank you
I have everything posted (base miles, COS & bonus)- except for one flight on April 29th, where the base miles is posted but the bonus is not posted yet.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I need my 5k/5/$500! Well just the $500.. I'm $216 short for 50k.

Ron.
YOWCDNFF likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.