Mixed Aeroplan / Cash booking

Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If Aeroplan can actually do what you want for $30 (which I highly doubt), you should pay them the $30 and let us know how it works out.
They cannot.

Everyone on the PNR needs the same fare class and fare basis.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
This has never been possible in the past, and I doubt it's possible now. Are you sure Aeroplan wasn't just offering to do a mixed cash + points booking, where both tickets are paid in a combination of points and cash? Or book a points ticket on the phone and link it to one you bought for cash online?
Yeah sorry I think she was just saying she would book the aeroplan award seat for me. I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself, so I wasn't about to have her do that for me (for $30).

You can link the PNRs, which will enable you to check in together with one PNR, may result in better protection in IRROPs, etc, but doesn't do the things you want it to do.
What do you mean "doesn't do the things you want it to do"? My son is traveling with me on an international biz trip. I'm paying for my ticket (being reimbursed by business), but using points for his ticket so he can travel with me (using the least amount of points possible). I want to be able to get him seats with me ('preferred' seats in economy), free baggage, priority boarding, priority check-in, maple leaf lounge access etc etc. You know, the typical SE perks that someone would get traveling with me had the tickets been purchased together (or booked together using points). So of these SE perks, which ones will he be entitled to if our PNRs are 'linked' together?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:49 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They cannot.

Everyone on the PNR needs the same fare class and fare basis.
It's a crazy world of dynamic pricing, so I didn't want to make a definitive statement. As a finance guy, in theory I could see tickets being worth a certain number of dollars on the back and and converted to points via an exchange rate like they do with converting a cash fare priced in one currency into a payment in another and just treat the cash and the miles as one form of payment. Of course, a reward fare basis paid in cash probably wouldn't earn SQx, which would probably eliminate a lot of the people wanting to do this, and it's all extremely complicated to actually do this. But who knows - working on this could have been why we still have no calendar and no SAUA

Originally Posted by ajcopley
I'm paying for my ticket (being reimbursed by business), but using points for his ticket so he can travel with me (using the least amount of points possible). I want to be able to get him seats with me ('preferred' seats in economy), free baggage, priority boarding, priority check-in, maple leaf lounge access etc etc. You know, the typical SE perks that someone would get traveling with me had the tickets been purchased together (or booked together using points). So of these SE perks, which ones will he be entitled to if our PNRs are 'linked' together?
Linking the PNR entitles him to none of those things. In practice, if you're with him, you can walk him up to the priority counter, check his bags under your name if you have spare luggage allowance, take him through priority security, guest him into the lounge, and have him board with you during zone 1 boarding. It's possible that the computer will give him some of those things, but I wouldn't count on it.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: AC 50K
Cash and Points for Same Itinerary?

Sorry, if this question has been asked before.

My wife and I are planning a trip to YYZ in September. I am 35K she does not have status.

Can I pay cash for my flight and use my Aeroplan points for hers?

My goal is to use e-ups for both of us by buying a Latitude fare for me and Aeroplan latitude for her, then do instant e-up.

Or do I have to do to separate bookings? If I do the latter, then it appears I cannot e-up my wife.

Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan-SE-2018-23
Separate bookings.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by The Macker
Separate bookings.
If separate bookings, then I cannot use e-ups for her, correct?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Douglas
correct, unless you're an SE
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:53 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by loganre17
Originally Posted by Sean Douglas
correct, unless you're an SE
Incorrect. Please consult the wiki in the eUpgrade thread re travel companion upgrades and continue any eUp-related discussion in that thread.
loganre17 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 3:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Would it be possible to merge two PnR - one cash and one AP redemption - if they are both PY lowest?

​​​​

​​​​​​
Old Mar 17, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by JayTakesOff
Would it be possible to merge two PnR - one cash and one AP redemption - if they are both PY lowest?​​
​​​​​​
No.
JayTakesOff likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.