Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flying AC with NEXUS card only - questions and information

Flying AC with NEXUS card only - questions and information

Old Jul 24, 22, 7:24 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I always carry both my Nexus and passport. I still remember having it drilled into me that the Nexus card wasn't enough on its own, I need to have the passport too. If that's changed in the years since then so be it, but old habits die hard and I always travel with both ... it's just automatic at this point.
Old Jul 25, 22, 4:26 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I'm the same, I never travel without both, this weekend however my passport isn't available as I had to surrender it to Passport Canada as part of their renewal process. I could just cancel my trip but feel given the info I have, combined with the feedback from here and AC staff, I should and will roll the dice.

Jason

Last edited by u2hibby; Jul 25, 22 at 3:54 pm
Old Jul 25, 22, 10:03 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by u2hibby View Post
I had to surrender it to Passport Canada as part of their renewal process.

Jason
Wow, you are a man of faith, lol. I truly applaud your optimism and trust

Best of luck
u2hibby likes this.
Old Jul 25, 22, 11:40 am

Programs: AC SE*100K
Anecdote not data, etc.

Pre-pandemic I flew with my NEXUS card only one time to the US because I screwed up and brought my wife's passport instead of mine and it wasn't an issue, I didn't notice until I got home. I was generally using my NEXUS card as ID all of the time but over time I ran into two instances of GAs (one AC at a remote station, one UA at a UA hub) refusing to take my NEXUS card as ID and making a big stink about needing to see my passport that I stopped using my NEXUS card as ID. So in my experience - it varies - but historically the majority of the time just using my NEXUS card has been fine.

Being an idiot I let my NEXUS expire during the pandemic and the renewal has been pending for more than a year, so I don't have more recent anecdotal evidence.
Old Jul 25, 22, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Starwood
After the incident that I shared at the top of the thread, I researched it extensively.

A passport is not required by Canada or USA for entry if you have a Nexus card.
A passport is not required by Air Canada if you have a Nexus card according to their website. There is one place where it is "recommended" but not required.
Further, the Air Canada tariff affirms that if you have all legally required documentation and they do not let you are board, you are Denied Boarding.

So, it is not required.

But, having been through the ordeal that I've been through, I would bring printouts of their website pages, the US CBP and Canada government immigration and customs pages, and more, as the gate agent who denied my family boarding was insistent and intransigent. e.g. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...documents.html

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 25, 22 at 2:10 pm Reason: Fixed link
Old Jul 25, 22, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by jakehansen View Post
After the incident that I shared at the top of the thread, I researched it extensively.

A passport is not required by Canada or USA for entry if you have a Nexus card.
A passport is not required by Air Canada if you have a Nexus card according to their website. There is one place where it is "recommended" but not required.
Further, the Air Canada tariff affirms that if you have all legally required documentation and they do not let you are board, you are Denied Boarding.

So, it is not required.

But, having been through the ordeal that I've been through, I would bring printouts of their website pages, the US CBP and Canada government immigration and customs pages, and more, as the gate agent who denied my family boarding was insistent and intransigent. e.g. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/ travel-requirements/travel-documenls.html#/
...but once again. Why would you go to a foreign country without your passport ??
Old Jul 25, 22, 2:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
...but once again. Why would you go to a foreign country without your passport ??
That was laid out earlier. Passport is being renewed.

NEXUS-only is allowed by CBSA and CBP (for transborder). The issue is entirely with the airline. AC is supposed to take it as per their own website. I've also travelled on AC/PD having only to present NEXUS. US airlines; passport required.
commaspace likes this.
Old Jul 25, 22, 2:59 pm

Fwiw in Timatic it says the US requires passports except if you're departing from a preclearance airport. That would not include many AC flights but in theory it could be an issue. Fwiw it says the same thing for US->CA flights which doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old Jul 25, 22, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by zkzkz View Post
Fwiw in Timatic it says the US requires passports except if you're departing from a preclearance airport. That would not include many AC flights but in theory it could be an issue. Fwiw it says the same thing for US->CA flights which doesn't make a lot of sense.
TIMATIC doesnt indicate same for arrival into Canada.

To Canada:

Passport Exemptions:

Nationals of USA/Canada with a NEXUS Card embarking in USA or Canada and entering Canada from the USA or US territories .
To US:

Passport Exemptions:

Nationals of USA/Canada with a NEXUS Card embarking from a USCBP Pre-Clearance location in Canada or USA.

Passengers with an Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States (Form I-512).
Old Jul 25, 22, 5:27 pm

The Delta Timatic page says something slightly different but yours makes more sense. What site did you use to get your version?
Old Jul 25, 22, 7:54 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by zkzkz View Post
The Delta Timatic page says something slightly different but yours makes more sense. What site did you use to get your version?
DL link to TIMATIC.

Just make sure document selected is NEXUS.

Search this Thread