Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Old Apr 20, 22, 11:13 am
  #61  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 39,907
Originally Posted by vancouver25k View Post
I think SQD for the FP is what your FP costs for the credits used minus the taxes.
Yes

Originally Posted by YXU View Post
For example, today's YXU-BOG flight costs $1003.5, $824 base, $120 YQ and $59.5 in taxes.
Does that mean
a) SQD if booked with a flight pass is $400-$59.5 = $340.5 SQD
or b) SQD is $824+$120 = $944 SQD

TIA (again )!
a)

SQD is always what you pay.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Apr 25, 22, 5:42 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Programs: UAL 1K; Marriott PE, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2
I'm a US resident and UAL 1K. I'm considering switching to AC Aeroplan for several reasons:
  • Star Gold on other airlines gets access to UAL lounges (No amount of UAL status gets you in the lounge on domestic flights)
  • AC is a transfer partner with AMEX, but UAL is not
  • AC has better redemption options
I know AC won't status match another Star airline. I wouldn't be flying on AC often. The Aeroplan website indicates that I can earn SQD on partner airlines if booked through AC. How does this work? As an example, I fly Lufthansa 453 LAX-MUC pretty often. I will buy that through UAL presently for UAL SQD. This flight option doesn't show up on AC website. Is it still possible to purchase (by calling AC)? Thanks!
kblodorn is offline  
Old Apr 25, 22, 5:46 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: ORK/YYC
Programs: AC 75K
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by kblodorn View Post
I'm a US resident and UAL 1K. I'm considering switching to AC Aeroplan for several reasons:
  • Star Gold on other airlines gets access to UAL lounges (No amount of UAL status gets you in the lounge on domestic flights)
  • AC is a transfer partner with AMEX, but UAL is not
  • AC has better redemption options
I know AC won't status match another Star airline. I wouldn't be flying on AC often. The Aeroplan website indicates that I can earn SQD on partner airlines if booked through AC. How does this work? As an example, I fly Lufthansa 453 LAX-MUC pretty often. I will buy that through UAL presently for UAL SQD. This flight option doesn't show up on AC website. Is it still possible to purchase (by calling AC)? Thanks!
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ication.html#/

"Earn SQD on flights with Star AllianceTM member airlines ticketed on Air Canada ticket stock (ticket numbers beginning with 014)."

So basically if you are able to search and book that ticket through Air Canada you will be eligible to earn SQD on it. (014 ticket)
Bindy Johal is offline  
Old Apr 25, 22, 5:56 pm
  #64  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Posts: 14,215
Originally Posted by kblodorn View Post
I know AC won't status match another Star airline. I wouldn't be flying on AC often. The Aeroplan website indicates that I can earn SQD on partner airlines if booked through AC. How does this work? As an example, I fly Lufthansa 453 LAX-MUC pretty often. I will buy that through UAL presently for UAL SQD. This flight option doesn't show up on AC website. Is it still possible to purchase (by calling AC)? Thanks!
With this being your first post, welcome to FT

You'll likely have a hard time purchasing something like that from AC. Even if the UA fare allows ticketing on AC stock, AC probably won't want to sell it to you without any AC metal, or at least a codeshare, on it.

AC will happily sell you LAX-YYZ-MUC, though, and often has very competitive J fares from the US.
asovse1 likes this.
Adam Smith is online now  
Old Apr 25, 22, 6:14 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Programs: UAL 1K; Marriott PE, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2
Well one trip will cover the SQD issue and YYZ isn't a bad stopover point... I should be able to get the SQM through partners easily enough. Thanks!
kblodorn is offline  
Old May 1, 22, 7:09 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: MH Platinum, AC 75k, Accor All Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 484
AC status maintenance for US residents

So I have 75k. Moving to the U.S.soon. I noticed that AC website doesn't allow you to book itineraries entirely within the United States. So I guess I could fly UA and credit to AC, but will SQD also be credited in this case? In other words: can one maintain AC status while flying and booking predominantly with other Star Alliance airlines?
quinzinho is offline  
Old May 1, 22, 7:25 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: AC 75K
Posts: 5,818
You earn SQD flying AC, or ticketing on AC if flying *A. flights solely on another carrier (UA in this example), will not earn you SQD, as its generally not possible to ticket itineraries on AC without an AC flight.
quinzinho likes this.
ChrisA330 is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 12:12 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 6
AMEx and aeroplan points

We earned 100000 aeropoints from AMEX reserve card the first two months after we got the AMEX new card. Are we qualified to get aeroplan elite status ?
We bought three long haul tickets in July

Last edited by GCYL; May 2, 22 at 12:22 pm
GCYL is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 12:16 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC75K
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by GCYL View Post
We earned 100000 aeropoints from AMEX reserve card the first two months after we got the AMEX new card. Are we qualified to get aeroplan elite status ?
No. Credit card earnings do not generate status qualifying miles or status qualifying dollars. You want status with AC? It's gotta be a butt in a seat.

Depending on the card bonus offers, they did offer an extra 1000 SQMs and 1 SQS (segment) per month - so at most you'd earn 12,000 status miles and 12 segments.
RichVan is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 12:20 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: Who needs status when you have credit card?
Posts: 126
Originally Posted by GCYL View Post
We earned 100000 aeropoints from AMEX reserve card the first two months after we got the AMEX new card. Are we qualified to get aeroplan elite status ?
No, you need to fly to get elite status. Alternatively, you have the Reserve card so every $5000 you spend on the card you get 1000 SQM. Therefore, in order to qualify for entry-level 25k Elite, you will need to spend $125,000 on the card. However, keep in mind this will only get you 25,000 SQM. You will also need to get $3000 SQD to qualify for 25k Elite as the credit card spend does not count towards SQD. Accordingly, you will still need to fly and spend at least $3000 on AC flights to qualify for 25k Elite.
c224488 is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 1:25 pm
  #71  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 39,907
Originally Posted by GCYL View Post
We earned 100000 aeropoints from AMEX reserve card the first two months after we got the AMEX new card. Are we qualified to get aeroplan elite status ?
We bought three long haul tickets in July
Ignore the two posts above mine. Yes, through EDQ (Aeroplan launches Everyday Status Qualification (earn 25K status with no SQD)), you have now qualified for 25K status, and it should update fairly quickly.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
canadiancow is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 1:27 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC 75k, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,655
Originally Posted by RichVan View Post
No. Credit card earnings do not generate status qualifying miles or status qualifying dollars. You want status with AC? It's gotta be a butt in a seat.

Depending on the card bonus offers, they did offer an extra 1000 SQMs and 1 SQS (segment) per month - so at most you'd earn 12,000 status miles and 12 segments.
Originally Posted by c224488 View Post
No, you need to fly to get elite status. Alternatively, you have the Reserve card so every $5000 you spend on the card you get 1000 SQM. Therefore, in order to qualify for entry-level 25k Elite, you will need to spend $125,000 on the card. However, keep in mind this will only get you 25,000 SQM. You will also need to get $3000 SQD to qualify for 25k Elite as the credit card spend does not count towards SQD. Accordingly, you will still need to fly and spend at least $3000 on AC flights to qualify for 25k Elite.
Guess you've never heard of Everyday Status Qualification?

Everyday Status Qualification

Reach Aeroplan Elite Status before you even leave the ground. The points you earn every day - through spending with Aeroplan credit cards, flying with Air Canada and partner airlines, and with any of our travel and retail partners - will get you closer to status.

Earn 100,000 points through eligible transactions during a calendar year, and you’ll have Aeroplan 25K Status through the following year.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ication.html#/ (scroll to the bottom)

Ron.
newfbc is online now  
Old May 2, 22, 1:29 pm
  #73  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Posts: 14,215
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Ignore the two posts above mine. Yes, through EDQ (Aeroplan launches Everyday Status Qualification (earn 25K status with no SQD)), you have now qualified for 25K status, and it should update fairly quickly.
Depends on how many of those points were from sign-up bonuses, which aren't eligible. Details in the linked thread.
canadiancow likes this.
Adam Smith is online now  
Old May 2, 22, 1:30 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC75K
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
Guess you've never heard of Everyday Status Qualification?

Everyday Status Qualification

Reach Aeroplan Elite Status before you even leave the ground. The points you earn every day - through spending with Aeroplan credit cards, flying with Air Canada and partner airlines, and with any of our travel and retail partners - will get you closer to status.

Earn 100,000 points through eligible transactions during a calendar year, and you’ll have Aeroplan 25K Status through the following year.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ication.html#/ (scroll to the bottom)

Ron.
You know exactly what I meant. 25K status isn't really an "elite" status.

But I can see why a new member might want to know that info, so thanks to both of you for the corrections/clarifications.
RichVan is offline  
Old May 5, 22, 5:42 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 3
Does anyone know if paying with Uplift accrues SQM and SQD based on the fare purchased?
brooksj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread