Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Old Apr 12, 22, 5:56 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian View Post
The difference between 50K and 75K is fairly minimal compared to the differences between 35K and 50K or between 75K and SuperElite. Those are the bigger leaps. So it won’t hurt having it, but it also won’t prove quite as substantial.
for many people, the ability to gift E35K status to someone is a big plus and worth the effort to get to E75k. The worldwide PE priority rewards are better than the E50 ones too. Other than that, I never noticed much of a difference in terms of day-to-day flying.
Old Apr 12, 22, 6:41 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Tax Dude View Post
for many people, the ability to gift E35K status to someone is a big plus and worth the effort to get to E75k. The worldwide PE priority rewards are better than the E50 ones too. Other than that, I never noticed much of a difference in terms of day-to-day flying.
the gifting is the primary reason I'm going for 75k vs 50k personally for my wife
Old Apr 14, 22, 11:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hello!

I will start to travel a lot, but the company I work for will be purchasing the tickets. Will the SQD be credit to me, even though is the company who is paying for the ticket? Of course considering that the tickets that the company is buying qualifies for SQD on the first place.

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 22, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by artur_lemos92 View Post
Hello!

I will start to travel a lot, but the company I work for will be purchasing the tickets. Will the SQD be credit to me, even though is the company who is paying for the ticket? Of course considering that the tickets that the company is buying qualifies for SQD on the first place.

Thanks!
SQx will go to you the passenger, if, as you said, the company is not buying fares that do not accumulate SQx.
Old Apr 18, 22, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Would like to confirm - flights in a mixed cabin would still earn at the rate of the brand purchased?

I.e. YYC-YYZ (in B, sitting in Y) and YYZ-DUB (in A, sitting in PY) purchased as a PY ticket would have the whole itinerary earn at PY's rate?
Old Apr 18, 22, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by loganre17 View Post
Would like to confirm - flights in a mixed cabin would still earn at the rate of the brand purchased?

I.e. YYC-YYZ (in B, sitting in Y) and YYZ-DUB (in A, sitting in PY) purchased as a PY ticket would have the whole itinerary earn at PY's rate?
In that specific case, the earn rate of B and A are the same, so it's irrelevant.

In the general case... I don't even have any data since they switched to 1A. You'd need to find a paid J itinerary with a single-cabin connection. Historically, it definitely posted as whatever it was booked into (either 100% or 125%), but 1A may have changed that.
Old Apr 18, 22, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
One thing worth mentioning is that B and A both earn at the same rate regardless (125%).

There are other potential cases...I've found that business lowest often books economy only segments in M, and that the segments in M only post as M (100%).

Edit: now I need to check my records for flights post 1A in business lowest. I apparently didn't fly any bookings that meet that criteria.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 18, 22, 5:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I’m based on the east coast so when I buy paid J tickets I have to connect to a bigger hub like YUL or YYZ since the routes out of YHZ have been demolished due to COVID.

Usually these connections are on something like a Q400 which doesn’t have business class so you’re sitting in economy. I wonder if those miles post as 100% ?
Old Apr 18, 22, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
In that specific case, the earn rate of B and A are the same, so it's irrelevant.

In the general case... I don't even have any data since they switched to 1A. You'd need to find a paid J itinerary with a single-cabin connection. Historically, it definitely posted as whatever it was booked into (either 100% or 125%), but 1A may have changed that.
Originally Posted by Nitehawk View Post
One thing worth mentioning is that B and A both earn at the same rate regardless (125%).

There are other potential cases...I've found that business lowest often books economy only segments in M, and that the segments in M only post as M (100%).

Edit: now I need to check my records for flights post 1A in business lowest. I apparently didn't fly any bookings that meet that criteria.
Question about these -

Are we still looking at the fare class now for earnings, rather than the brand? I thought that switched two years back or so
Old Apr 18, 22, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
The brand is more important, but in this example, the class is sufficient.

It's just not clear how business lowest booked in M class would credit.
loganre17 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 22, 11:48 pm
YXU

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here and I just wanted to run my idea through the community to make sure I'm not miscalculating:
I want to buy the student flight pass to Colombia and fly all 4 segments before Apr 30, after my exams.
I'm looking at staying airside (except at YQR) and doing:
YXU-YYZ-YUL-BOG
BOG-YYZ-YQR
/Spend a night in a hotel
YQR-YYZ-BOG
BOG-YYZ-YXU

Using CanadianCow's (AMAZING) tool it seems that I'll get ~14250 SQM for all the segments, x2 that's 28500 SQM for only $1600 plus an additional ~20000 AP.

Am I right in assuming the following:
1. The SQD earned is calculated as per the cost of a Flex ticket at the time of booking minus taxes and fees. So a ticket that costs $1077 in cash right now (for simplicity say $77 is taxes and fees) will give me $1000 SQD for a single segment despite the entire pass being only $1600?
2. I will earn x2 SQM thanks to the ongoing promotion (I see the T&C explicitly mention Unlimited flight passes as an exclusion but not regular ones)
3. As a 35k member with the select benefit selected I will earn an additional 35% in AP points on each flight

TIA!
Old Apr 20, 22, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
Old Apr 20, 22, 5:43 am
YXU

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
For the No, I'm a little confused. Can you share how (or direct me to where) it's calculated? I've looked through the forums and AC's website and the answers I'm finding mirror what I say. for example, the Sun Flight pass thread and the SQD calculator thread

Last edited by YXU; Apr 20, 22 at 5:54 am Reason: Replaced Air Canada quote with a better Flyertalk quote to reduce clutter
Old Apr 20, 22, 6:00 am
YXU

For example, today's YXU-BOG flight costs $1003.5, $824 base, $120 YQ and $59.5 in taxes.
Does that mean
a) SQD if booked with a flight pass is $400-$59.5 = $340.5 SQD
or b) SQD is $824+$120 = $944 SQD

TIA (again )!
Old Apr 20, 22, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by YXU View Post
For example, today's YXU-BOG flight costs $1003.5, $824 base, $120 YQ and $59.5 in taxes.
Does that mean
a) SQD if booked with a flight pass is $400-$59.5 = $340.5 SQD
or b) SQD is $824+$120 = $944 SQD

TIA (again )!
I think SQD for the FP is what your FP costs for the credits used minus the taxes.

Search this Thread