Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Old Mar 31, 22, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
Does "mixed track record" as to whether or not you'll get SQx from an Avion ticket mean that it seems to be completely random or does it come down to what type of ticket you purchase with those points? For instance, I'm considering using some of my Avion points to buy some Business (Lowest) fares from YYZ to various Canadian destinations just to get some extra segments under my belt. But I don't want to waste the points if getting SQx for the flights is going to be unpredictable.
My experience has been much like 'Cow's byline. Consult your local psychic. We have tons of points we are burning through. I THINK one of our kids saw points for a flight last couple years, but don't quote me. The real takeaway here I believe is expect to get nothing, and if you do, it is a bonus. If you want SQx, they are not the way to go.
Old Apr 3, 22, 11:45 pm

Programs: Who needs status when you have credit card?
Question Do you get SQM/SQD paying with Gift Card?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this. I was wondering if I would be able to get SQM/SQD on a flex fare by paying with Gift Card (either entirely by Gift Card or partial Gift Card and partial Credit Card)? I can't seem to find this answer anywhere.

Also, Air Canada is doing a 100% bonus SQM/SQD until April 30, 2022. Assuming I am able to accrue SQM/SQD with a Gift Card, I should also be able to receive the 100% bonus too, correct?

Thank you for all your help!
Old Apr 4, 22, 12:03 am

Yup, SQM/SQD is based upon the fare basis, not method of payment. Only thing you'll be potentially be missing out on is any insurance coverages offered by your CC. Most will require a certain percentage of your flight(s) are charged to the card to qualify.
Old Apr 4, 22, 8:03 am

Programs: Who needs status when you have credit card?
Originally Posted by Denguin View Post
Yup, SQM/SQD is based upon the fare basis, not method of payment. Only thing you'll be potentially be missing out on is any insurance coverages offered by your CC. Most will require a certain percentage of your flight(s) are charged to the card to qualify.
Can you confirm whether you have personal experience with using a gift card and accruing SQM/SQD? Thanks again!
Old Apr 4, 22, 8:13 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by c224488 View Post
Can you confirm whether you have personal experience with using a gift card and accruing SQM/SQD? Thanks again!
I do, and can confirm
kalderlake likes this.
Old Apr 4, 22, 8:15 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by c224488 View Post
You should be aware that paying with a gift card frequently messes up the SQD calculation. You can get it corrected, but depending on how they correct it, it may not end up counting towards the current promo. Which could leave you chasing them after the fact for the SQD. You would clearly be in the right, but I have not been bothering with gift cards for anything during this promo for that reason.
theranj likes this.
Old Apr 4, 22, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
You should be aware that paying with a gift card frequently messes up the SQD calculation. You can get it corrected, but depending on how they correct it, it may not end up counting towards the current promo. Which could leave you chasing them after the fact for the SQD. You would clearly be in the right, but I have not been bothering with gift cards for anything during this promo for that reason.
I've had no issues with gift cards, but all my SQD has posted at or above what I expected so far this year.
Old Apr 4, 22, 11:26 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I've had no issues with gift cards, but all my SQD has posted at or above what I expected so far this year.
My one issue involved posting with a CC and gift card, and also a rescheduled flight to a different day. I can't remember if the missing amount is the GC value or not
Old Apr 10, 22, 1:32 pm

Question about fare paid for with miles and cash

I bought a ticket on Air Canada with miles and cash. Will I get any miles for that R/T flight?
Old Apr 10, 22, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC 75K
No you will not.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Apr 10, 22, 1:42 pm

None?? Thanks for that info! I will cancel that flight and do something else!
Old Apr 11, 22, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by karns View Post
None?? Thanks for that info! I will cancel that flight and do something else!
Nada.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Apr 11, 22, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Based on my booking for the year, I'm going to be short 1200 SQM for 50K, but $900 for SQD.

If I take advantage of the Europe promo, would probably only need $2k to reach 75k. Any real advantages for 75k from current Status holders?
Old Apr 11, 22, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by YBang View Post
Based on my booking for the year, I'm going to be short 1200 SQM for 50K, but $900 for SQD.

If I take advantage of the Europe promo, would probably only need $2k to reach 75k. Any real advantages for 75k from current Status holders?
Besides the published differences,

Higher on the priority list for upgrades
Cooler luggage tag
Bragging rights
Old Apr 12, 22, 5:14 am

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by yyckerr View Post
Besides the published differences,

Higher on the priority list for upgrades
Cooler luggage tag
Bragging rights
The difference between 50K and 75K is fairly minimal compared to the differences between 35K and 50K or between 75K and SuperElite. Those are the bigger leaps. So it wont hurt having it, but it also wont prove quite as substantial.

Search this Thread