Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Old Mar 8, 22, 1:41 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by JordanK View Post
Is there any way (other than special COVID-related special rollovers) to earn rollover SQD?
No.

Basically, I'm wondering if I should keep flying cash fares throughout 2021, May - Dec. (after I hit SE), or if I should just call it a year and start burning through my many Aeroplan points, if cash fares beyond SE won't have any additional/rollover benefits.
Each additional 5K SQD will generate a Priority Reward. Earning additional SQM will also generate threshold eUps/gifts.

Whether those make it worth the while is up to you.
Old Mar 8, 22, 5:26 am

Programs: AC S100K
Basically, I'm wondering if I should keep flying cash fares throughout 2021, May - Dec. (after I hit SE), or if I should just call it a year and start burning through my many Aeroplan points, if cash fares beyond SE won't have any additional/rollover benefits.
As Adam said, theres no rollover SQD. However, if you do hit 250,000 SQM this year, youd bank an extra year of SuperElite, so depending on how much youre flying, that would be worth keeping in mind.
Old Mar 12, 22, 7:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR, Bonvoy Gold
EZE to YYZ via GRU includes a BA flight?

Hi all

Im looking at flights from YYZ to EZE end of April. Booking through Air Canada. Both the inbound and outbound flights include a stop at GRU. No biggie.

My question is: The EZE to GRU segment on the way home, is operated by British Airways. Will I still receive SQD and SQM for that segment if booked through AC? Or just the GRU to YYZ portion? Or (gulp) neither?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 22, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by bennyg2 View Post
I’m looking at flights from YYZ to EZE end of April. Booking through Air Canada. Both the inbound and outbound flights include a stop at GRU. No biggie.

My question is: The EZE to GRU segment on the way home, is operated by British Airways. Will I still receive SQD and SQM for that segment if booked through AC? Or just the GRU to YYZ portion? Or (gulp) neither?
You'll earn SQx on the AC flights, and nothing on the BA flight (you can credit that to BA or another oneworld program). Doesn't matter who tickets it.
Old Mar 13, 22, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 50K, Hilton Diamond, Smoothie King Frequent Buyer
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
You'll earn SQx on the AC flights, and nothing on the BA flight (you can credit that to BA or another oneworld program). Doesn't matter who tickets it.
Can you credit individual segments on the same PNR to different loyalty programs?
Old Mar 13, 22, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by WorldwideChoppers View Post
Can you credit individual segments on the same PNR to different loyalty programs?
Yes, but if everyone's on 1A, it can be a challenge to find an agent who knows what they're doing.

If it's something like AC/UA it's very easy to just update your number on one side so UA sees UA and AC sees AC.
Old Mar 13, 22, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 50K, Hilton Diamond, Smoothie King Frequent Buyer
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Yes, but if everyone's on 1A, it can be a challenge to find an agent who knows what they're doing.

If it's something like AC/UA it's very easy to just update your number on one side so UA sees UA and AC sees AC.
The way I'm reading that, which I know I'm misreading it, sounds like you can credit the same flight to two different loyalty programs. "UA sees UA and AC sees AC."

I know that's not what you meant, but then I don't think I understand what you did mean?

For a trip like YVR-SFO on AC then SFO-IAH on UA. I'm understanding there is a way to put AC number for the first leg and UA for the second? Which I'm not sure how to physically do apart from calling in. But certainly each segment has to be credited to either one program or the other. Right? Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 22, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I understand that you earn SQD on AC operated flights on non-014 tickets. It's easy to figure out how much SQD you'll earn by using the calculator.

Question is - how does the calculator know how much SQD to associate with AC legs if the air charges are all bundled into one number? Is it a weighted average of all the flights, or something else?
Old Mar 14, 22, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loganre17 View Post
I understand that you earn SQD on AC operated flights on non-014 tickets. It's easy to figure out how much SQD you'll earn by using the calculator.

Question is - how does the calculator know how much SQD to associate with AC legs if the air charges are all bundled into one number? Is it a weighted average of all the flights, or something else?
It's purely based on distance. Same for partner-issued tickets as those issued by AC.

I'm not sure I've fully answered your question, but not sure I've fully understood it. If not, it would be helpful if you could provide more details.
loganre17 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 22, 12:53 pm

It's purely based on distance. Same for partner-issued tickets as those issued by AC.

I'm not sure I've fully answered your question, but not sure I've fully understood it. If not, it would be helpful if you could provide more details.
Thanks, having trouble describing it. I'm flying YVR-YYC-IAH-SCL on a UA issued ticket.

For the first two segments, calculator mentions it'll be $75 and $309 for SQD, as they're both AC legs. How does it get this number? Is the SQD earned in this case also due to mileage?
Old Mar 14, 22, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Thanks, having trouble describing it. I'm flying YVR-YYC-IAH-SCL on a UA issued ticket.

For the first two segments, calculator mentions it'll be $75 and $309 for SQD, as they're both AC legs. How does it get this number? Is the SQD earned in this case also due to mileage?
Yes, it works the exact same was an on an all-AC 014 ticket.
loganre17 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 22, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Yes, it works the exact same was an on an all-AC 014 ticket.
Excellent, TIL, thanks
Old Mar 16, 22, 9:23 am

Programs: NEXUS, Aeroplan, SkyMiles, WestJet, IHG Platinum, IC Ambassador
Do all flights qualify for SQx?
...Points redeemed from 3rd party loyalty programs (e.g. Air Miles, RBC Avion) have a mixed track record.
Does "mixed track record" as to whether or not you'll get SQx from an Avion ticket mean that it seems to be completely random or does it come down to what type of ticket you purchase with those points? For instance, I'm considering using some of my Avion points to buy some Business (Lowest) fares from YYZ to various Canadian destinations just to get some extra segments under my belt. But I don't want to waste the points if getting SQx for the flights is going to be unpredictable.
Old Mar 31, 22, 7:00 pm

If I'm on an 016 issued UA ticket and am rebooked onto an exclusively operated AC itinerary due to IRROPs before arriving at the airport, how would SQD be calculated in this case?
Old Mar 31, 22, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm on an 016 issued UA ticket and am rebooked onto an exclusively operated AC itinerary due to IRROPs before arriving at the airport, how would SQD be calculated in this case?
If it works the way it should, it'll be whatever you paid.

But I've bought $500 fares from AC, single segment, one way, no changes, that posted as $900.

So...
loganre17 likes this.

Search this Thread