Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air Canada | Aeroplan

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Old Aug 24, 22, 12:18 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by YVR_Flyer123 View Post
I am booked in EVA Air V class, I understand as stated on the Aeroplane website that V class is not eligible for accumulation; however, I am wondering if that applies to only points and SQM or SQS as well?

I’m a few SQS short of 25k so hoping my EVA flight is eligible for SQS.
​​​​​​There's nothing that accumulates SQx without also earning Aeroplan points. There are a few cases (mostly codeshares on non-*A partners) that accrue Aeroplan points without SQx, but nothing in the other direction.
Old Aug 25, 22, 8:33 pm

Is there a difference when booking codeshare flights?

Let's say I'm booking YYZ -> ORD -> SLC. I have the option of booking the entire itinerary via Air Canada OR via United. The plane and the flights will be the exact same, the only difference would be the booking mechanism and the coding.

I know I'm still eligible for Aeroplan and SQM on the United flight but am wondering if there's any other differences between booking on Air Canada or United? What would be the preferred option (ignoring price of course).
Old Aug 25, 22, 8:58 pm

If you book through AC, you get SQD if Aeroplan status is something you're reaching for.
Old Aug 25, 22, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by vancouver25k View Post
If you book through AC, you get SQD if Aeroplan status is something you're reaching for.
I thought I would also get SQD if I book through United?
Old Aug 25, 22, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by airraptor View Post
You need the ticket number to begin with 014, i.e. be issued by AC.
This does not necessarily mean that all the flights are AC coded (014 tickets can include UA marketed flights). But, if you book on the UA website you will get 016, not 014.
Old Aug 25, 22, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
SQD goes go to AC metal and/or on AC (014) tickets, if crediting to AE. Codeshare doesn't cut it. In reality, I'm not sure it would be possible to book a ticket with AC flight numbers on UA metal, via UA.com (or any 3rd party, for that matter). For sure the UA/*A MBAs would not want this to happen.
Old Aug 25, 22, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Quail View Post
You need the ticket number to begin with 014, i.e. be issued by AC.
This does not necessarily mean that all the flights are AC coded (014 tickets can include UA marketed flights). But, if you book on the UA website you will get 016, not 014.
I see. So I'll get SQM and SQS (the most important one for me) but not SQD. That's OK. Highly unlikely I'll reach the next tier for SQD anyways.

Are there any other differences or benefits when booking one over the other?
Old Aug 25, 22, 9:49 pm

I see. So I'll get SQM and SQS (the most important one for me) but not SQD. That's OK. Highly unlikely I'll reach the next tier for SQD anyways.

Are there any other differences or benefits when booking one over the other?
Within *A, you can delay crediting until later, but you may or may not get any benefits until you do choose who you credit to. It'll be up to any given (untrained) agent. If you show up with nothing on file and flash a valid but friendly status card, what you are supposed to get may or not be what you actually get. Putting in a particular FF number before check-in(ish) will probably grant you the associated *A status and thus things; or not.

Name your specific statuses and routes and preference for accumulation vs day-of rewards vs other, we might be able to give specific advice.
Old Aug 25, 22, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
Within *A, you can delay crediting until later, but you may or may not get any benefits until you do choose who you credit to. It'll be up to any given (untrained) agent. If you show up with nothing on file and flash a valid but friendly status card, what you are supposed to get may or not be what you actually get. Putting in a particular FF number before check-in(ish) will probably grant you the associated *A status and thus things; or not.

Name your specific statuses and routes and preference for accumulation vs day-of rewards vs other, we might be able to give specific advice.
I currently have no status but am trying to hit AC 25K by end of year. Currently already meet the SQD threshold but am 10 SQS and 16,000 SQM short. Primarily fly domestic in Standard so accumulating SQM has been difficult. I anticipate this to continue so am hoping to reach 25k via SQS.

My preference is to accumulate Aeroplan points and statuses.

I bought the UA itinerary for YYZ -> DEN -> SLC today which came out to be ~$150 cheaper than AC for whatever reason. This was my first time booking to a transborder flight so I wasn't even aware that I chose UA over AC until after the booking was ticketed. I did input my AC FF number into my corporate booking tool so believe I should receive my SQS (which is the most important to me)

My question in this thread was purposely vague so that it may help other people looking to book, especially those who already have status with one airline over the other. My understanding is that it shouldn't have too much effect on my current itinerary. Do you agree?
Old Aug 25, 22, 10:42 pm

My preference is to accumulate Aeroplan points and statuses.
Then book with the people who share common ownership with Aeroplan. (or, at least, though a company who get airlines to fly on their behalf, with their agents, policies and uniforms, intentionally invisibly "them" to mortals, and not really directly available for solo mortals to purchase from)

I bought the UA itinerary for YYZ -> DEN -> SLC today which came out to be ~$150 cheaper than AC for whatever reason.
Because commercial reasons.

This was my first time booking to a transborder flight so I wasn't even aware that I chose UA over AC until after the booking was ticketed. I did input my AC FF number into my corporate booking tool so believe I should receive my SQS (which is the most important to me)
Per upthread. AC metal or 014 tickets, credited to AC/AE will grant AE magic beans with organic multiplication factors.

My question in this thread was purposely vague so that it may help other people looking to book, especially those who already have status with one airline over the other. My understanding is that it shouldn't have too much effect on my current itinerary. Do you agree?
At low levels, it will have dramatic difference for both accumulation and benefits. If you're flush with points and flush with benefits it might be practically irrelevant.

Being AC SE, being Canadian, being mostly on what UA considers international interties, I get treated by UA better than most of their organic domestic fliers, at least in so far as I get lounge access and blue hair agents working lounges. I would never make a point of flying organically on a UA ticket because there is no realistic year where I might ever get to a organic UA status better than AC/SE could get me..... Going from 7->8 UA flights isn't going to help me for UA status, I might as well credit AE and get the bonus points on AC, on 014 ticket, on UA metal.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 11:03 pm

At low levels, it will have dramatic difference for both accumulation and benefits. If you're flush with points and flush with benefits it might be practically irrelevant.
Can you explain further?
Old Aug 25, 22, 11:20 pm

Can you explain further?
I did?

As a Canadian AC SE, booking on a 014 ticket, crediting and flashing AC status, even if on UA metal I get +100% spendable bonus above whatever the ticketed accumulation grants me. Being an international ticket I get lounge access, which tends to get a face to face human in airports.

Booking the same physical flights through UA.com to UA points, crediting UA, I'd get no lounge access, and straight point accumulation to a program I may never get enough points to fly crosstown on, on a program that treats anyone but gods as peons.
Thus, ceteris paribus, all AC is easily worth $150 to me.Somewhere between those two extremes there are games to play. Which might on some unique situation indicate violating my general rule of flying on AC metal, AC ticket, accumulating to AC. But I can't contrive that situation, for me.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Aug 26, 22, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I did?

As a Canadian AC SE, booking on a 014 ticket, crediting and flashing AC status, even if on UA metal I get +100% spendable bonus above whatever the ticketed accumulation grants me. Being an international ticket I get lounge access, which tends to get a face to face human in airports.

Booking the same physical flights through UA.com to UA points, crediting UA, I'd get no lounge access, and straight point accumulation to a program I may never get enough points to fly crosstown on, on a program that treats anyone but gods as peons.
Thus, ceteris paribus, all AC is easily worth $150 to me.Somewhere between those two extremes there are games to play. Which might on some unique situation indicate violating my general rule of flying on AC metal, AC ticket, accumulating to AC. But I can't contrive that situation, for me.
But if you booked the same flights on UA.com and credited to AC, the only thing you would miss out on would be the SQD on UA metal.

You'd still have the lounge access, priority boarding, etc., on UA metal.

If you're struggling to qualify for 25K while booking Standard fares, I'd argue it's all irrelevant and you should just choose the cheapest option, whether it's AC, UA, DL, WS, WN, whatever.
YOWgary, kalderlake and Quail like this.
Old Aug 26, 22, 9:47 am

I will be hitting 75K by the end of this month by SQS and SQD. My SQM only amounts to 38k miles. Are any of these 38k miles going to be roll-overed for next year? For reference I hold an Amex AP Reserve.

Or will it be zero because it's not over 75k miles?
Old Aug 26, 22, 9:51 am

Programs: AC, Marriott
Originally Posted by guanin2999 View Post
I will be hitting 75K by the end of this month by SQS and SQD. My SQM only amounts to 38k miles. Are any of these 38k miles going to be roll-overed for next year? For reference I hold an Amex AP Reserve.

Or will it be zero because it's not over 75k miles?
It would be zero because it's not over 75k miles

Search this Thread