Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air Canada | Aeroplan

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Old Jul 25, 22, 11:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I recently traveled on a paid J fare on the EZE run and my domestic connection to YUL was on a Q400 single cabin. I was booked in to Latitude “B” fare and got 110% COS bonus for that leg not 150%.
Old Jul 29, 22, 10:45 pm

Maintaining 75K

I'm currently Air Canada 75K. There's no way I'll maintain that status through next year -- we've been traveling a lot within the US this year -- not AC friendly routes.

Is there any way I can maintain this status with a credit card offer? Any suggestions of how I could maintain outside of a mileage run?
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:06 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Yes, if you earn 30 thousand points through spend from 1/1 to 12/31, you will maintain 75K.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...cation-cc.html
Old Jul 29, 22, 11:40 pm

To clarify, the offer requires that the 30k points be credited to the Aeroplan account by November 30, 2022.

Interestingly, the offer (maintain current status by earning 30k points via credit card spend, excluding sign-up offers) allows reaching the 30k points via all eligible Aeroplan co-branded cards, and so this may open up opportunities, if someone US-based is able to apply for both American and Canadian cards, to reach the 30k points faster by putting dining, grocery, and Air Canada purchases on a Chase Aeroplan Mastercard World Elite (3 points per USD on dining, grocery, and Air Canada purchases) and gas (1.5 points per CAD) and other purchases (1 point per CAD) on a Canadian TD or CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite.

Of note, the Canadian cards impose a foreign exchange markup for non-CAD purchases.
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by loganre17 View Post
Yes, if you earn 30 thousand points through spend from 1/1 to 12/31, you will maintain 75K.
A good deal for sure! Note the deadline is 11/30 not 12/31 so xmas purchases likely won't count.
kalderlake and loganre17 like this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 1:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan75K, BASilver
SQD on EgyptAir

I’m trying to book a J class on yyz-Jnb and Egypt air appears the cheapest. This route doesn’t appear when I search on AC booking site. Is there anyway I can get to book this route on Egypt air as an AC booking to get SQD?
Old Aug 5, 22, 1:31 pm
YXU

Originally Posted by smangalam View Post
I’m trying to book a J class on yyz-Jnb and Egypt air appears the cheapest. This route doesn’t appear when I search on AC booking site. Is there anyway I can get to book this route on Egypt air as an AC booking to get SQD?
You can try adding an AC segment in the beginning, something like YXU-YYZ or YOW-YYZ (somehwere egyptair doesn't fly)
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by YXU View Post
You can try adding an AC segment in the beginning, something like YXU-YYZ or YOW-YYZ (somehwere egyptair doesn't fly)
how does that help? Does that mean I would have to fly out of Ottawa?
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by smangalam View Post
AC's almost certainly not going to ticket an EgyptAir fare, so no, you're not going to be able to ticket this with AC.

You could try calling or asking a TA, but I've been very unsuccessful with that kind of thing in the past, even trying to get AC tickets on UA fares that allow other carriers to ticket them (and that's a whole other question here - not sure MS would allow another carrier to issue the ticket).

Originally Posted by YXU View Post
The cheap fare is a fare issued by MS. Even if AC would sell a ticket with an MS TATL leg - which I doubt they will, since they want to push TATLs on JV metal - they're probably not going to ticket this on the MS fare; it will be at an AC price.
YXU likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
AC's almost certainly not going to ticket an EgyptAir fare, so no, you're not going to be able to ticket this with AC.

You could try calling or asking a TA, but I've been very unsuccessful with that kind of thing in the past, even trying to get AC tickets on UA fares that allow other carriers to ticket them (and that's a whole other question here - not sure MS would allow another carrier to issue the ticket).

The cheap fare is a fare issued by MS. Even if AC would sell a ticket with an MS TATL leg - which I doubt they will, since they want to push TATLs on JV metal - they're probably not going to ticket this on the MS fare; it will be at an AC price.
Thanks all. Makes sense, I feared that would be the case. I may have to try other options in that case.
Old Aug 8, 22, 3:47 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
AQD Accrual on AC Flight ticketed through AF

I'm currently looking at fares next year and see a particularly attractive J fare out of Quebec on AF. One of the sectors involves flying AC J down to YUL and was wondering if AQM and AQD accrual is possible given it's got an AC flight number and it's a revenue flight (but it's on AF ticket stock)? If so, how would AC make the calculation? Whilst AQM should be straight forward (i.e. distance flown) what's less clear is how AQD would be calculated since AC wouldn't "know" what the J ticket price is.

Thanks in advance,

RooFlyer88
Old Aug 8, 22, 4:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88 View Post
I'm currently looking at fares next year and see a particularly attractive J fare out of Quebec on AF. One of the sectors involves flying AC J down to YUL and was wondering if AQM and AQD accrual is possible given it's got an AC flight number and it's a revenue flight (but it's on AF ticket stock)? If so, how would AC make the calculation? Whilst AQM should be straight forward (i.e. distance flown) what's less clear is how AQD would be calculated since AC wouldn't "know" what the J ticket price is.
If you're on AC metal and you're not on points or a weird consolidator fare, you will earn SQx, always.

AF has to pay AC for that segment, so AC will know what it costs. It will likely be based on the ticket price pro-rated by distance, as with any other ticket. The SQx calculator built by FTers will give you a pretty good idea of how much you'll earn.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Aug 8, 22, 4:54 pm

Programs: American Express
Where to credit my United Polaris award booked on Aeroplan?

booked for 2, from SFO-FRA in United Business Class. I am attempting to search wheretocredit to find the best place to credit this flight.
According to the website I earn 150% when crediting to Aeroplan and UA...I may be wrong, but I assume that this means that I will earn 150% X (miles flown on flight)?

If this is the case I would prefer to credit this flight to Aeroplan, but reading an obscure PDF from their website I found this info:

"Aeroplan members are ineligible to accrue Points or Status Qualifying Credit when travelling on Flight Rewards. Members of partner frequent flyer programs are also ineligible to earn miles or points when travelling on a Flight Reward."

Frankly I am very new to this side of award travel and I am trying my best to learn, however it is quite difficult to find the answer to this question. if the source was correct would it be pointless to attempt and credit the flight to aeroplan as i booked with points? If so where would you credit this flight to?
Old Aug 8, 22, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G
Welcome to Flyertalk!

At its core, your question is simple.

Do you earn Aeroplan miles on flights you redeemed in exchange for a non-cash consideration? The basic answer is no, you do not.

Are there edge cases where you might? There used to be lots. There might be some now.

But as a general rule, you earn miles when you pay for the flight, not when you redeem for it.

Most importantly, enjoy your flights! If your first time in business class or better on a very long international flight, it can be an experience you will never forget.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 1:11 pm

I am 35k but am not going to hit 50k for qualification. I did surpass 25k requirements. Will I get 25k status then?

I will also hit the credit card 30k points spend as well but just wondering if you 'drop' a level if you don't hit where you were?

Search this Thread