Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYC009
So... is the rumor true that Jazz is closing the YYC base for both Flight Operations and Inflight? What about their maintenance operation in YYC? Do they have anything else in YYC for their hub?

AC is essentially eliminating YYC as a regional hub.

Is that why YYC-YYJ, YCD, YKA, YCG, YZF, YXE, YQR, SFO, and IAH are being cut, in addition to the frequency reductions to YLW, YQU, YMM, and YEG? It looks like the only thing that was not cut or eliminated was the new route from YYC-YXT and YYC-YWG, which remains at good frequencies.

Also gone (from before and during COVID-19) are regional routes YYC-YQQ, YXC, YXY, YQF, YQL, YXH, SEA, PDX, PSP, and ORD (albeit some of which were Jazz routes that transferred to Air Georgian).

What a massive frustration for AC YYC travellers.

Interestingly enough, what I do not see, is any increase in capacity for YYC-YVR to feed some of these markets that will now need more capacity on this route to feed the smaller centres.
Also for SFO travelers who sometimes like to visit YYC
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE
So... is the rumor true that Jazz is closing the YYC base for both Flight Operations and Inflight? What about their maintenance operation in YYC? Do they have anything else in YYC for their hub?

Is that why YYC-YYJ, YCD, YKA, YCG, YZF, YXE, YQR, SFO, and IAH are being cut, in addition to the frequency reductions to YLW, YQU, YMM, and YEG? It looks like the only thing that was not cut or eliminated was the new route from YYC-YXT and YYC-YWG, which remains at good frequencies.

Also gone (from before and during COVID-19) are regional routes YYC-YQQ, YXC, YXY, YQF, YQL, YXH, SEA, PDX, PSP, and ORD (albeit some of which were Jazz routes that transferred to Air Georgian).

Interestingly enough, what I do not see, is any increase in capacity for YYC-YVR to feed some of these markets that will now need more capacity on this route to feed the smaller centres.
Yikes. I'd noticed several of those routes disappearing, but hadn't realized the full extent. Particularly surprised to see business-heavy routes like YYC-IAH and YYC-SFO disappearing. The YYC-IAH route typically seemed to command high fares and was very full when I traveled frequently on that route. AC used to run that route twice daily. Now WS is running twice daily, so seems to have picked up what AC has walked away from.

Minor update, but I don't recall AC operating a YYC-ORD route in recent history (UA operated 2-3x daily pre-covid, and I think is back to 1 daily).
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC, KL
Interesting that AC appears to be keeping YEG-SFO and YEG-YZF though.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Almost half the YEG-YVR frequencies will soon be CR9 as opposed to mainline jets.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:59 pm

If there's no feed into YYC, how long until YYC-LHR/FRA disappear?
YYC009 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by gcashin
Yikes. I'd noticed several of those routes disappearing, but hadn't realized the full extent. Particularly surprised to see business-heavy routes like YYC-IAH and YYC-SFO disappearing. The YYC-IAH route typically seemed to command high fares and was very full when I traveled frequently on that route. AC used to run that route twice daily. Now WS is running twice daily, so seems to have picked up what AC has walked away from.

Minor update, but I don't recall AC operating a YYC-ORD route in recent history (UA operated 2-3x daily pre-covid, and I think is back to 1 daily).
Keep in mind that AC now has that profit sharing agreement with UA for most destinations in the US, so they may have simply decided to codeshare on UA's metal.
YYC009 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by gcashin
At times AC operated by QK YYC-IAH was 3 times daily. 8102, 8104, and 8106.

YYC-ORD lasted two years I believe in the last decade. It was on a CRA705 (now CRJ900). I remember because it turned off a YMM-YYC flight and always had to be towed over from a domestic gate to a transborder gate causing delays, especially for those flying YYC-ORD connecting onto UA's feed ORD-Europe.
gcashin likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by jasdou
I have some flights booked for next summer and got a flight change notification a few weeks ago. It looks like the YQB schedule has been gutted for summer 2023, with no mid-day flights:

YQB-YUL down to thrice daily with a stupid schedule making connections to earlier EU flights extremely tight/impossible (departs at 6:20, 17:50 and 20:25).

YQB-YYZ offer five departures but again, nothing that can make connections to EU flights reasonable (departs 5:15, 7:00, 10:10, 19:25 and 20:15).

Hopefully AC isn’t done tweaking the schedule because I’m not looking forward to leaving YQB at 6:20, spending 11 hours in YUL/ before boarding a flight to FRA/LHR/CPH/CDG. Ridiculous.
Will be quicker for you to just drive to YUL....
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:31 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tracon
If there's no feed into YYC, how long until YYC-LHR/FRA disappear?
WestJet is launching BCN/CDG/FCO/EDI/NRT next year, and with daily flights to LHR and LGW. AC's FRA flight probably can stand on its own, but AC might have a more lucrative use of that LHR slot. Although I'm not sure how many connecting passengers AC get from YYJ, YCD, YKA, YCG, YZF, YXE, YQR.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221205-wsns23yyc

Last edited by m.y; Dec 5, 2022 at 9:55 am
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
I’m flying AC 66 BKK-YVR tomorrow morning (Dec 4). Looks like it’s going to be fully p3acked!
I would expect to see the loads on this pretty good as it opens up more seats for AC to fill on the YVR-TKO and YVR-ICN route. Also gets rid of the 8 hour connection in ICN, and the"short" 1.5 hour connect in TKO when you're coming via BKK on codeshares.

Flew that last month to YYC and that was a long 36 hours home
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by The Lev
Keep in mind that AC now has that profit sharing agreement with UA for most destinations in the US, so they may have simply decided to codeshare on UA's metal.
Losing AC service on YYC-SFO and YYC-IAH really sucks for flight passes since they don't allow codeshares.
YYC3722 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 11:43 am

Losing YYC-SFO impacts rewards to TPAC partner flights. I had two itins impacted in Jan and Feb 2023. When booked last winter, this route was 2x daily. Now need to go via YVR, adding to the stress of mis-connect during winter months. UA does not seem to release I on its YYC-US routes very often. I see YYC-LAX is back to 2x daily for summer 2023.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

This sucks big time, living in YYC.

AC hasn't flown YYC-ORD in many years - I don't even think AC was an option the first time I went there in 2008? - nor do I remember the last time they had a flight to YQQ, and with nothing other than the DH4, it wasn't really shocking to see YQF, YQL, and YXH go.

But pretty disappointing to see things like SFO, IAH, YYJ, and YCD gone.

At times AC operated by QK YYC-IAH was 3 times daily. 8102, 8104, and 8106.
The 3rd daily disappeared after oil prices crashed in 2015. Some days in 2017-2019 it was only one a day, but most days two.

Originally Posted by m.y
WestJet is launching BCN/CDG/FCO/EDI/NRT next year, and with daily flights to LHR and LGW. AC's FRA flight probably can stand on its own, but AC might have a more lucrative use of that LHR slot. Although I'm not sure how many connecting passengers AC get from YYJ, YCD, YKA, YCG, YZF, YXE, YQR.
There's plenty of business traffic between YYC and LHR. Not sure where they're going to find a more lucrative use for the slot.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:24 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Wow.

As some of have noted, it's like AC is demoting YYC to a solid B-airport while WS is doing the exact opposite. This could be rough for our friends in YYC with AC status.

But I wonder what routes all of those AC aircraft will be flying?
gcashin, YYC3722 and AC7E7 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Hi Everyone

I bet all those AC aircraft are in Atlantic Canada now WJ has abandoned ship, I note that AC recently announced it's offering of new flights from Halifax to Newark on Dash 8 400's for example.

This absolutely sucks for YXE based passengers. RIght now for onward connections I can see 2 flights day on CRJ's to YVR, or 2 flights a day on Rouge (or 3 on CRJ's) to YYZ. The first Rouge one leaves at 5.10am, the first to YVR at 5.55am. Brutal. These flights are going to be a ) packed and b) expensive which is great for AC but dreadful for us AC FF's. I will be flying Westjet to YYC (on their enhanced schedule!) and WJ for onwards connections to the US or Europe would make much more sense. Combined with the changes to E35 benefits, for someone like me who spends about 7$K a year on AC (I know I am a small fish and really not that important to AC, but I bet there are lots like me) I really have to think about where to spend that $7K. Not a fan of WJ, but 7hrs to get to YYC from YXE via YVR is just unacceptable.

Very disappointed.

YXEG
arf04 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.