Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by anniln
Travelling YYZ-SFO:
Got a notification changing AC737 from a 789 to a 78M on 20 Dec 2022. I'm in J so this is very annoying.
Interestingly, my return on AC746 in the new year- Went from a 789 to a 788 and a 20 mins earlier departure. Much more reasonable since its still a "proper" J.
Yup, when I saw that AC740 was replaced with a 7M8 I was waiting for the other shoe to drop on the way in from YYZ on AC737. And it did.

We're bummed, since the pods are always a nice experience. We debated switching to the later flight out to SFO on the widebody, but ultimately want to get there earlier. Originally we upgraded from a Lat reward awhile back, and with dynamic pricing, it's not any cheaper to rebook in Flex and play the lottery. Ah well...still get a meal, some drinks and a bit more leg room.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Anyone have any thoughts on if YYZ->MDE will be coming back this year? Hasn't been flown since Pre-Covid
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Reduced capacity to Hawaii this winter?

Just looking at flights to all the islands and compared to last year there appears to be less seats available this year.
All flights to all islands from YVR & YYC are operated with 7M8s. Last year they used some Maxs but also used 789's on some flights
both from YVR & YYC and some A330's at one point. This may well be due to reduced need for widebodies elsewhere last yr due to Covid.
Up until Christmas, only one direct flight per week from YYC-OGG on a 7M8. Then goes up to 3x weekly. No direct YYC-HNL flights again this year.
2 flights per day (morning and evening) starting at Xmas from YVR to OGG & HNL and 3x weekly to KOA.

I appreciate these are leisure routes with little need for J capacity but with no option for PY and small J cabin on the 7M8
upgrades will be few & far between. The only place you would find me on these AC Max flights would be row 20 (exit row).
7 hours on that beast is not my idea of fun. The only saving grace is all the YYC-OGG flights are 8 am departures so no late night arrivals and the returns are 2:30 pm so no redeyes.
Note that WJ operating Dreamliners on most YYC-OGG routes and a mixture of Max 8s and 738s on the YVR-OGG & YVR-HNL routes.

Last edited by muskoka; Sep 23, 2022 at 11:58 am
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC*E, SPG Platinum
With quarantine in HK reduced to 0 + 3 days, anyone have info when AC15/16 would be brought back to the schedule?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by muskoka
Just looking at flights to all the islands and compared to last year there appears to be less seats available this year.
All flights to all islands from YVR & YYC are operated with 7M8s. Last year they used some Maxs but also used 789's on some flights
both from YVR & YYC and some A330's at one point. This may well be due to reduced need for widebodies elsewhere last yr due to Covid.
Up until Christmas, only one direct flight per week from YYC-OGG on a 7M8. Then goes up to 3x weekly. No direct YYC-HNL flights again this year.
2 flights per day (morning and evening) starting at Xmas from YVR to OGG & HNL and 3x weekly to KOA.

I appreciate these are leisure routes with little need for J capacity but with no option for PY and small J cabin on the 7M8
upgrades will be few & far between. The only place you would find me on these AC Max flights would be row 20 (exit row).
7 hours on that beast is not my idea of fun. The only saving grace is all the YYC-OGG flights are 8 am departures so no late night arrivals and the returns are 2:30 pm so no redeyes.
Note that WJ operating Dreamliners on most YYC-OGG routes and a mixture of Max 8s and 738s on the YVR-OGG & YVR-HNL routes.
Maybe they will market the 7M8 J as PY like they do for the TATL route YHZ-LHR
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Very few can afford Hawaii anymore so demand may be lower. Our condo increased by 30% and that’s a modest adjustment. The beach resorts in Maui can be $1200 cad a night for a hotel room!
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Very few can afford Hawaii anymore so demand may be lower. Our condo increased by 30% and that’s a modest adjustment. The beach resorts in Maui can be $1200 cad a night for a hotel room!
Yes that has been our experience as well. The only reason we are going is we took advantage of a Black Friday deal which brought
the condo we usually stay at (Aston Maui Hill) down from $450/nt to $275/nt. Last time we went in 2019 at the same time 1st 2 wks of Dec
(which is shoulder season) we paid $250/nt. Big increases. Getting almost prohibitive. Now with the CAD down to 73c, even worse!
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: Air Canada 35k
AC no longer flying direct from Yellowknife to Edmonton & Calgary starting Nov.1st

My friend in Yellowknife and I were planning to meet in SFO later this year, and I had booked both our flights on Aeroplan points (my birthday gift to her, booked hers Biz class). However, she just found out that starting Nov. 1st, Air Canada has decided to no longer fly from Yellowknife to Edmonton and Calgary (source: https://www.rcinet.ca/eye-on-the-arc...n-and-calgary/).

The flight we booked for her was originally supposed to fly through Edmonton....but she has received no official word yet about changes. We were worried that AC would assign her a new route without her input, and she was already having to take an extra day off work because there are so few flights going out of Yellowknife, so I was proactive and booked a new flight via Aeroplan points that went through Vancouver instead, then cancelled the old one. I had booked Biz/Flex originally, so was not charged any penalty to change.

Posting here in case anyone else is flying to or from Yellowknife through Edmonton or Calgary starting November and wants to be similarly proactive. I'm also open to suggestions about whether what I did was wise or unwise. :-)

Debbie

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 25, 2022 at 9:34 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not directly related to T2, per say, but SFO for sure...looking at SFO-YYZ in November, and looks like the widebodies are gone. I know they've been running 330s on the morning and noontime ex-SFO flights for the most parts (and 321s on the others), and in my previous Nov. searches, they were showing the morning flight as a MAX 8, noon flight to a 789 and redeye to a 788. Now I see all 3 flights as MAX 8s, though I'll admit to just checking a handful of dates in mid-late Nov. Anyone know if they are getting rid of widebodies permanently (or at least...for a while)? If its only going to be narrow bodies, and with UA bringing back nonstops soon, I'd just as soon fly with them, given they are my primary carrier, and they at least give a basic snack (Stroopwafel/Biscoff) during the departure service.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not directly related to T2, per say, but SFO for sure...looking at SFO-YYZ in November, and looks like the widebodies are gone. I know they've been running 330s on the morning and noontime ex-SFO flights for the most parts (and 321s on the others), and in my previous Nov. searches, they were showing the morning flight as a MAX 8, noon flight to a 789 and redeye to a 788. Now I see all 3 flights as MAX 8s, though I'll admit to just checking a handful of dates in mid-late Nov. Anyone know if they are getting rid of widebodies permanently (or at least...for a while)? If its only going to be narrow bodies, and with UA bringing back nonstops soon, I'd just as soon fly with them, given they are my primary carrier, and they at least give a basic snack (Stroopwafel/Biscoff) during the departure service.
4 flights incl a 321. Wish they had a widebody for the redeye at least so I can get 3 hrs of sleep.
As Asia opens, I suspect the widebodies are going to head there - Japan, HKG, BOM, etc. That's just my best guess. Widebodies are mostly gone from Hawaii too.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
4 flights incl a 321. Wish they had a widebody for the redeye at least so I can get 3 hrs of sleep.
As Asia opens, I suspect the widebodies are going to head there - Japan, HKG, BOM, etc. That's just my best guess. Widebodies are mostly gone from Hawaii too.
I don't think they had 4 flights for very long. Redeye only started going a few (maybe only 2-3) weeks ago, and mid-afternoon flight stops soon. But when it dropped back to 3, it was 2 widebodies and 1 narrow, as opposed to when this change was made - has to be within the last few days.

Maybe more widebodies going to Asia, but even pre-COVID there were always widebodies into SFO (maybe 1-2 of ~5 flights/day).
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I don't think they had 4 flights for very long. Redeye only started going a few (maybe only 2-3) weeks ago, and mid-afternoon flight stops soon. But when it dropped back to 3, it was 2 widebodies and 1 narrow, as opposed to when this change was made - has to be within the last few days.

Maybe more widebodies going to Asia, but even pre-COVID there were always widebodies into SFO (maybe 1-2 of ~5 flights/day).
You are right as there were three flights incl the widebody. I am hopeful they stay with at least 4 flights. Used to be 5 flights to SFO.
AC has new routes for its widebodies plus Asia opening up - BOM, BKK, AKL. Prob a few more I do not remember. Winter season likely focusing on sun destinations, and the huge demand of the diaspora.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It was 6 flights in the summer, 3 of which were wide-bodies.

I can't remember the winter schedule, but it was 3 or 4.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It was 6 flights in the summer, 3 of which were wide-bodies.

I can't remember the winter schedule, but it was 3 or 4.
I actually would be happy with the SJC-YYZ nonstops that pre-COVID was supposed to be one of 220 launch routes. Then COVID and the route never actually started, and I haven’t heard anything about it being out back on the schedule.

Living on the east bay and just about equidistant to SFO and SJC, I’d actually prefer SJC because generally quiet in comparison, plus between having to travel across the bridge or not, I’d take the latter. Plus, my Amex plat will get me into The Club lounges at SJC, but not worth trying to wait it out to get into the Centurion lounge at SFO
asovse1 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I actually would be happy with the SJC-YYZ nonstops that pre-COVID was supposed to be one of 220 launch routes. Then COVID and the route never actually started, and I haven’t heard anything about it being out back on the schedule.

Living on the east bay and just about equidistant to SFO and SJC, I’d actually prefer SJC because generally quiet in comparison, plus between having to travel across the bridge or not, I’d take the latter. Plus, my Amex plat will get me into The Club lounges at SJC, but not worth trying to wait it out to get into the Centurion lounge at SFO
Centurion closed for expansion so hopefully when you can get back in, it won't be a zoo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.