Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Old Jan 5, 22, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Includes the notice from AC

unclepants likes this.
Old Jan 5, 22, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MikeAlphaTango View Post
why should they be penalized by the stealthy nature of the virus?
The world is built around assigning blame. Countries tend to push blame so they can look like they're doing something effective. Sometimes it's legit, sometimes not.
Old Jan 5, 22, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
With official notice from AC

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2022/hong-kong.html#/

Cancellation of Air Canada flights to/from Hong Kong until March 1, 2022

January 4

Due to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on aviation (including government entry requirements, travel advisories, crew constraints and local movement restrictions), Air Canada will be cancelling all direct passenger flights between Canada and Hong Kong beginning January 7, 2022. Flights are planned to resume from Vancouver International Airport (YVR) on March 1, 2022 and Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) on March 3, 2022.

Rebooking and refund options

Affected customers are eligible for a range of highly flexible and expanded rebooking and refund options.

If you booked with a travel agent or any online travel agency (e.g., Expedia or Priceline), contact them directly for assistance. Each partner has a unique booking system that we are unable to access to assist with your booking.

For Air Canada Vacations bookings, please call 1‑800‑296‑3408.

If you booked directly through Air Canada (including aircanada.com, the Air Canada mobile app, and our Contact Centres), Aeroplan, Kayak, Google Flights or Skyscanner, visit our My Bookings page. You can also call us at 1‑888‑247‑2262. For international and other numbers, visit aircanada.com/othernumbers.
Old Jan 5, 22, 2:00 pm

After my Havana flights were cancelled for February, I rebooked for April. Now again they've been cancelled with no notification. I opened my app this morning and everything was fine, but now when I go into the app they're cancelled. When I look book again, it shows dates available when I open the calendar, but when I search it comes up with no flights. Super frustrating!
Old Jan 5, 22, 2:14 pm

Sun Destinations

More from ACV https://vacations.aircanada.com/en/travel-advisories

TEMPORARY DESTINATION SUSPENSION

January 5, 2022In light of the current pandemic context, Air Canada will be suspending some flights to Sun destinations from January 24 until April 30, 2022.

Suspended destinations include Antigua, Aruba, Samaná, Curaçao, Exuma, Grenada, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo, Bermuda, Grand Cayman, Havana, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Martin/Sint Maarten, and Saint Kitts and Nevis.

To help ensure that Canadians are not stranded abroad, Air Canada plans to operate a number of one-way commercial flights from affected destinations in order to return customers at the suspended destinations to Canada.

Any travellers affected by the temporary suspension of the above listed destinations will be issued a full refund. Our team will be contacting any impacted customers and processing refunds in order of departure date. Eligible customers will receive an invoice as confirmation of their refund once it has been issued.

Please note that existing travel restrictions, including providing proof of vaccination and of a negative COVID-19 test result before boarding an international flight bound for Canada, are still in effect. It is your responsibility to ensure that you - and any child travelling with you - have all the valid travel documents required for re-entry into Canada. Please visit the Government of Canada website for more details
————
Also reported here https://www.travelweek.ca/news/acv-t...april-30-2022/

ACV temporarily suspends service to 14 sun destinations for Jan. 24 – April 30, 2022

Old Jan 5, 22, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Great. Here we go again
Old Jan 5, 22, 4:05 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, DL Silver
I donʻt fly AC ever since I live in Hawaii.
Iʻm booked in J on the nonstop flt from YUL-HNL on 09 Mar.
Last week it looked like they cxld the flight along w/ some other Hawaii routes as noted earlier in the thread.
I received no notification, but my reservation on the website kept showing my original nonstop flt.
Today, it looks like the flight is back on.
I know COVID is constantly changing things, but does anyone know whatʻs going on? Error? Or expecting people to change their plans from the Caribbean to Hawaii so deciding to resume the cxld flts?

Thanks!

Last edited by Mokuea; Jan 5, 22 at 4:18 pm
Old Jan 6, 22, 12:06 am

Programs: Altitude E75K , Gold Marriott
Originally Posted by hemustbeaboss View Post
Great. Here we go again
I know. I have a Sun flight pass from 2020 that we need to use before the end of the year. Hoping that Costa Rica is still open in 2022.
Old Jan 6, 22, 1:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by I'llMissCP View Post
In light of the current pandemic context, Air Canada will be suspending some flights to Sun destinations from January 24 until April 30, 2022.
Such a broad statement, "in light of the current pandemic context". I wonder how much of this is just driven by reduced demand. It's an odd mix of stuff being suspended vs maintained. Exuma suspended, but not NAS. Nothing in Mexico suspended. And so on.

To help ensure that Canadians are not stranded abroad, Air Canada plans to operate a number of one-way commercial flights from affected destinations in order to return customers at the suspended destinations to Canada.
This part was interesting. Last year, when they did the suspensions with only a couple days' notice, it certainly made sense, but this time, they're letting people know much farther ahead. I would have thought most people would just take their refunds and it would be cheaper for AC to re-book those who didn't want a refund on a US carrier.
Old Jan 6, 22, 4:07 am

Programs: AC S100K
Such a broad statement, "in light of the current pandemic context". I wonder how much of this is just driven by reduced demand. It's an odd mix of stuff being suspended vs maintained. Exuma suspended, but not NAS. Nothing in Mexico suspended. And so on.
The Travel Week article is interesting and informative there. They say this is going to impact only 7% of ACV customers and explains that "COVID’s resurgence, along with restrictions from the federal government including the Level 3 travel advisory and ramped up testing and self-isolation requirements for returning travellers, have led to reduced demand for some destinations."

“At first glance, 2022 can be mistaken for its predecessor. Omicron ushered in a wave of renewed uncertainty that coincided with the holidays and impacted our industry yet again.

“But unlike the heavy restrictions that kicked off 2021, this setback is a molehill, not a mountain. And this year is nothing like the last. We’re stronger, wiser and well-prepared to manage the potential effects of COVID-19.

“Our renewed position of strength can be seen when we look at this year’s holiday travel. Despite the confusion created by a new variant, our concerted efforts meant that the vacations of our customers were largely unaffected during the peak holiday period.

“Yet, as we continue the winter season, a resurgence of COVID and new government regulations have reduced demand in some Sun destinations, leading to unavoidable disruptions to Air Canada’s flight schedule from January 24 to April 30, 2022".
Old Jan 6, 22, 8:59 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by FreedomIsntFree View Post
I know. I have a Sun flight pass from 2020 that we need to use before the end of the year. Hoping that Costa Rica is still open in 2022.
My YUL-YYZ-SJO flights and back 01/03-12/03 are still active and I am still confident I will be going there in March (famous last words!).
Old Jan 6, 22, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm genuinely getting worried about the Hawaii bits that see so far. My wife and I have a flight next weekend from YYC-YVR-HNL. I see changes on the OGG end and what not, but nothing on HNL so I'm holding my breath nothing else changes. I'm currently waitlisted for upgrades on the YVR-HNL segment despite my status (well within 14 days); in my last call with AC to confirm flights, they were a bit puzzled that the release hadn't happened yet but thought it might hate do with the Maui/OGG flights.
Old Jan 6, 22, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I'm genuinely getting worried about the Hawaii bits that see so far. My wife and I have a flight next weekend from YYC-YVR-HNL. I see changes on the OGG end and what not, but nothing on HNL so I'm holding my breath nothing else changes. I'm currently waitlisted for upgrades on the YVR-HNL segment despite my status (well within 14 days); in my last call with AC to confirm flights, they were a bit puzzled that the release hadn't happened yet but thought it might hate do with the Maui/OGG flights.
Upgrades don't automatically clear when your window opens. There needs to be upgrade space available. See the eUpgrade thread for more information.

If you're interested in the current availability on your particular flight, you can post in the fare bucket check thread.
Old Jan 6, 22, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Many thanks Adam! As always, wealth of information !
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jan 6, 22, 8:18 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by I'llMissCP View Post
...Air Canada plans to operate a number of one-way commercial flights from affected destinations in order to return customers at the suspended destinations to Canada.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
This part was interesting. Last year, when they did the suspensions with only a couple days' notice
​​​​​​I thought the same thing as Adam when I read the press release.

Special one way/repatriation flights are not in the carrier's best financial interest unless the plane can be loaded with cargo on the inbound. (or a devious carrier gets to twist a government arm into getting a subsidy/minimum revenue commit on each ferry flight).

​​​​​​So.... everyone here needs to book a different sun destination on the last day of service to see what contact is made and what options are given

​​​​​​
Bohemian1 likes this.

Search this Thread