Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:31 pm

PDF timetable says YYG-YOW is moving to a 2110 departure eff. Sept. 6. Current and more traditional time 13:30.

Not sure if that will materialize. The timing doesn't seem to be of much use for onward connections.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by muskoka
There is only one flight per day loaded in the schedule YVR-HNL and YVR-OGG which depart around 8 a.m up until mid Dec when the afternoon flights begin. All flights are currently listed as 7M8's Last year the evening flights were operated with 789's. The direct YYC-OGG flights begin mid Dec as well- using 7M8s. Only good thing is we get an 8 am departure getting in to OGG at 12 pm. Looks like all Hawaii flights including YVR-KOA and the two a day YVR-HNL and YVR-OGG that start in Dec are 7M8s.
Whether we will see 789s at all is a question due to the reasons stated by the poster above. Keep our fingers crossed.
Whats missing are flights to LIH. Suppose the earlier HNL flights will allow for same day connection on separate tickets.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:50 pm

Did AC fly to LIH this past winter?
I don't believe they did and definitely not prior to covid.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
My kid sister is moving to Montreal from Calgary this summer and I'm looking at flights for her... I noticed that there is AC326 YYC-YUL in July which is a 77L. It's completely empty for most the flights in Y/J as it leaves at at 0125. It's the cheapest option as well lol.

Is this a positioning flight? Anyone know the YYC-YUL route well that knows if this is just temporary? I don't see it in August/Sept/Oct, just July for a few weeks. With loads so low I'm confused. I've seen the 787's occasionally for on the YYC-YUL but almost always a narrowbody. Never seen a 77L on this route.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:36 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG
My kid sister is moving to Montreal from Calgary this summer and I'm looking at flights for her... I noticed that there is AC326 YYC-YUL in July which is a 77L. It's completely empty for most the flights in Y/J as it leaves at at 0125. It's the cheapest option as well lol.

Is this a positioning flight? Anyone know the YYC-YUL route well that knows if this is just temporary? I don't see it in August/Sept/Oct, just July for a few weeks. With loads so low I'm confused. I've seen the 787's occasionally for on the YYC-YUL but almost always a narrowbody. Never seen a 77L on this route.
What part do you think is temporary, the redeye or the widebody?

YYC-YUL capacity always fluctuates dramatically with the seasons. In the long ago, winter would be 2-3 daily, mostly E90/319, and summer would typically be 4x daily narrowbodies, more 319/320/321, including a redeye.

They started running widebodies in 2019 when the MAX grounding forced them to consolidate the number of flights, and we saw 333s and rouge 763s.

Last year, the summer had a daytime widebody (depart YUL early morning, depart YYC midday), and the usual narrowbody redeye.

So far this summer, there has been a widebody almost every day, same pattern as last year. Mix of 789, 333, and 77L. I flew the 77L YUL-YYC a month ago.

It's somewhat different to have a widebody redeye, but if it's only for a few weeks, not shocking that there might be demand for it.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What part do you think is temporary, the redeye or the widebody?

YYC-YUL capacity always fluctuates dramatically with the seasons. In the long ago, winter would be 2-3 daily, mostly E90/319, and summer would typically be 4x daily narrowbodies, more 319/320/321, including a redeye.

They started running widebodies in 2019 when the MAX grounding forced them to consolidate the number of flights, and we saw 333s and rouge 763s.

Last year, the summer had a daytime widebody (depart YUL early morning, depart YYC midday), and the usual narrowbody redeye.

So far this summer, there has been a widebody almost every day, same pattern as last year. Mix of 789, 333, and 77L. I flew the 77L YUL-YYC a month ago.

It's somewhat different to have a widebody redeye, but if it's only for a few weeks, not shocking that there might be demand for it.
This was really helpful! Thanks Adam. Thought the redeye widebody was temporary as I've never seen that one before but have seen the widebody run during the morning/day before for YYC-YUL
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG
This was really helpful! Thanks Adam. Thought the redeye widebody was temporary as I've never seen that one before but have seen the widebody run during the morning/day before for YYC-YUL
YYC is extra busy in early July due to Stampede, so it's not unusual to see some extra capacity. For instance, YYC has 1 redeye to YYZ most of the year, 2 through most of the summer, but I think some past summers have had 3 around Stampede (and sometimes around Christmas).
​​​​​​
Have you looked at the YYZ schedule around then? It's possible that this isn't all incremental demand from/to YUL, but that AC is directing traffic through YUL rather than YYZ. That could either be part of the effort over recent years to beef up YUL as a hub or because of the cluster that is YYZ in 2022. If you're coming from, say, YYG or YHZ or BOS, YYZ vs YUL, not a big difference in travel time or anything.

If YYC-YYZ only has 1 redeye around that time, I'd say that's a pretty likely case of AC shifting traffic. If YYZ has 3, definitely incremental capacity. If YYZ is at 2, less clear either way
SKYEG likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
YYC is extra busy in early July due to Stampede, so it's not unusual to see some extra capacity. For instance, YYC has 1 redeye to YYZ most of the year, 2 through most of the summer, but I think some past summers have had 3 around Stampede (and sometimes around Christmas).
​​​​​​
Have you looked at the YYZ schedule around then? It's possible that this isn't all incremental demand from/to YUL, but that AC is directing traffic through YUL rather than YYZ. That could either be part of the effort over recent years to beef up YUL as a hub or because of the cluster that is YYZ in 2022. If you're coming from, say, YYG or YHZ or BOS, YYZ vs YUL, not a big difference in travel time or anything.

If YYC-YYZ only has 1 redeye around that time, I'd say that's a pretty likely case of AC shifting traffic. If YYZ has 3, definitely incremental capacity. If YYZ is at 2, less clear either way
This clarifies things even further.. Thanks so much!!

I just looked and YYC-YYZ for her dates in July indeed only has 1 red eye so what you're saying about shifting traffic seems to be it. When I lived in YYC, I remember there being 2 or 3 redeyes, and one being a widebody. I would have never thought of any of this so I'm really impressed with how knowledgeable you are. Much appreciated... I got her on the YYC-YUL widebody redeye one way in J for a great price(less than my PHX-YYZ in Y lol). The pricing was fantastic... PY also being great value for $200 more than Y.

On a side note, when I searched YYC-YYZ -> the cheapest flights were YYC-YUL-YYZ. 50%++ cheaper than YYC-YYZ non stop, both in Y and J :

Last edited by SKYEG; Jun 11, 2022 at 6:33 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:27 am

I thought AC got rid of the Dash 8 300's.

But this little guy keeps going around Southern Ointario, on some really odd routes that don't show up on AC.

Is this even an AC aircraft or is this likely a data error?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CGMTA
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I thought AC got rid of the Dash 8 300's.

But this little guy keeps going around Southern Ointario, on some really odd routes that don't show up on AC.

Is this even an AC aircraft or is this likely a data error?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CGMTA
its a old 300 registration that has been given away to a private Beechcraft Bonanza
YOWgary likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:09 pm

My source is now saying that YVR-KIX will use flight numbers AC23/24 instead of AC17/18.
At this point I'd say it's definitely happening, just a matter of when.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by daisukiman
My source is now saying that YVR-KIX will use flight numbers AC23/24 instead of AC17/18.
At this point I'd say it's definitely happening, just a matter of when.
Any news on the South East Asia route? Which city do you think is the most likely.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: AC 75K
AC adding YVR/BKK, YYZ-BOM via LHR - both seasonal, and other increases to existing services.

https://investors.aircanada.com/2022...Winter-2022-23
The Lev, m.y, mendy7511 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
AC adding YVR/BKK, YYZ-BOM via LHR - both seasonal, and other increases to existing services.

https://investors.aircanada.com/2022...Winter-2022-23
Happy to see direct service to Thailand from NA once again... but wow, that'll be a long one.. YVR-BKK is blocked at 15hr55 minutes. (13hr05 on the way back).
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Happy to see direct service to Thailand from NA once again... but wow, that'll be a long one.. YVR-BKK is blocked at 15hr55 minutes. (13hr05 on the way back).
Agreed - would be good to see codeshares added with TG and WE ex-BKK as well.

Interestingly YVR-BKK it's a shorter distance than YVR-SYD or YYZ-HKG, but I suspect they've had to build in some extra block time to avoid Russia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.